• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's a good way to upgrade my Amiga 1000 ?

Ragooman

Experienced Member
What's a good way to upgrade my Amiga 1000. I like to get it setup which would let me download Amiga software online and transfer the files to my A1000 as I do with my C64 and Apple][. I do have the 1MB memory expansion already.

Is there something like the uIEC with the SD card from Jim Brain at Retro Innovations. http://store.go4retro.com/uiec-sd/
This is the best one I've seen so far. Here you just swap the SD card after you download any software online, and pop this into the uIEC plugged into the C64. I still use it together with my cross-platform dev when coding new stuff.

or is it more like ADTPro for the Apple][ by using the serial cable from the A1000 to the laptop or desktop.

I heard it's a lot easier to find something like this for the later models, 500,600,1200, 2000, etc which don't rely on Kickstart disks.
Dan

What's a good way to upgrade my Amiga 1000. I like to get it setup which would let me download Amiga software online and transfer the files to my A1000 as I do with my C64 and Apple][. I do have the 1MB memory expansion already.

Is there something like the uIEC with the SD card from Jim Brain at Retro Innovations. http://store.go4retro.com/uiec-sd/
This is the best one I've seen so far. Here you just swap the SD card after you download any software online, and pop this into the uIEC plugged into the C64. I still use it together with my cross-platform dev when coding new stuff.

or is it more like ADTPro for the Apple][ by using the serial cable from the A1000 to the laptop or desktop.

I heard it's a lot easier to find something like this for the later models, 500,600,1200, 2000, etc which don't rely on Kickstart disks.
Dan

Use transwarp and Amiga Explorer on a PC via a null modem cable. transwarp itself requires very little memory, and if you don't mind the transfer times it's pretty reliable. The best speed you will be able to manage is about 38400, but you can get an ADF transferred to a real disk in a reasonable amount of time.

There's a Kickstart switcher that will let you put real ROMs in the A1000. Makes everything much easier:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.ph...start-Switcher-for-Amiga-1000-PERFECT-WORKING

Wow this is a very interesting option too !!
I followed that link, trying to see when the next order will be made,
so I registered with the Amibay forum so I can post my request for this too
thanks for the headsup !!

After that, I'd get either an HxC, which emulates two floppy drives with SD cards, or a Gotek floppy drive emulator with HxC Firmware. :thumbsup:

Heather

And the HxC, you said it emulates 2 floppy drives.
So I suppose this attaches to the rear Floppy port connector on the A1000 ?
I just didn't recall that the A1000 can support 3 floppy drives, the internal plus 2 externals

Use transwarp and Amiga Explorer on a PC via a null modem cable. transwarp itself requires very little memory, and if you don't mind the transfer times it's pretty reliable. The best speed you will be able to manage is about 38400, but you can get an ADF transferred to a real disk in a reasonable amount of time.

ah ok, this resembles the ADTPro on the Apple][
The transfer speed shouldn't be a problem
I like to give this a try, I found some references about this, so I'm reading about this some more
Thanks for the tip !!

You could replace the internal Amiga floppy drive with one of the many models of HxC drives. Here's a 'slim' that you could probably make a bracket for to mount in place of the internal drive without any modification to the A1000 case.

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=114

You can look at the other HxC floppy emulator options on his site. The Rev. F would be a great option to put in an external case. Disconnecting the internal A1000 floppy drive might even make the external drive DF0: but I haven't tried that yet.

Heather

You could replace the internal Amiga floppy drive with one of the many models of HxC drives. Here's a 'slim' that you could probably make a bracket for to mount in place of the internal drive without any modification to the A1000 case.

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=114

You can look at the other HxC floppy emulator options on his site. The Rev. F would be a great option to put in an external case. Disconnecting the internal A1000 floppy drive might even make the external drive DF0: but I haven't tried that yet.

Heather

ah ok, thanks for the info.
I'll have to look inside once I rcv that.
I was just approved for that forum,
so I'm going to put my name on the waiting list.
So in the meantime, I'll use the Transwarp tool mentioned by geoffm3
That should be ok for now where the download speed is manageable
I've also been using ADTpro on my Apple ][ so it appears to be similar
thanks !

If you have an Amiga 1000, I ordered a set of logic boards to create a Kickstart Adapter, or a Kickstart switcher for it.

I'm asking $5.00 each shipped, or $7.00 for a set of both boards. I have 9 extra of each at this writing. I'll post pictures as soon as my phone is charged.

The ACA500+ works fine on the 1000. While it is not "supported" it seems to work fine on my machines and many others'. It provides Kickstart in ROM (with licensing, and you can flash others), RAM, and 2xCF slots- one is Amiga formatted as a hard drive, and the other is PC-formatted so you can easily transfer files. It is a really nice solution.

Oh, it's also an accellerator- it has it's own 68k CPU that can be clocked at 7,14,28, or 42MHz. Mine only works at 28, maybe that's why it's "unsupported" on A1000- not sure. I haven't tried it on an A500 to see. Maybe this weekend...

If you have an Amiga 1000, I ordered a set of logic boards to create a Kickstart Adapter, or a Kickstart switcher for it.

I'm asking $5.00 each shipped, or $7.00 for a set of both boards. I have 9 extra of each at this writing. I'll post pictures as soon as my phone is charged.

Anymore extra boards available. Very much interested. PMed .......thanks

Back