• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where are all the Model 16B s ?

rpmccoy

It seems the TRS-80 Model 16B is indeed difficult to locate in good used condition.

I have seen more Original Altair 8800 machines for sale than Model 16B s or Tandy 6000 s.

According to Wikipedia : "The 16B was the most popular Unix computer in 1984, with almost 40,000 units sold.[29] "
So where did they all go?

I'm interested in buying one due to the fact that they used Xenix and had the 68000 processor.

I'm not trying to be funny... I just want to buy one.

Thanks for any information. I currently use the great TRS80gp emulator in Model 16 mode,
and also a real Model 4P.

Dick McCoy

They're all at @pski 's house.....(Just kidding)

Seriously, though, most were probably scrapped in the 1990's when they were so unwanted that they couldn't be given away. I had one (serial number was something like 60000002, unsure of the number of zeroes), along with a 6000, the next iteration. I tried to find them good homes, and no one wanted them, shipping costs even then were just too much.

Last edited:
They're all at @pski 's house.....(Just kidding)

Seriously, though, most were probably scrapped in the 1990's when they were so unwanted that they couldn't be given away. I had one, a long with a 6000, the next iteration.
Yeah..... that is what I would speculate as well. I was hoping to stir up some interest and/or motivate someone to part with theirs :).

Thanks for the reply.

They also ship notoriously poorly, so a number of ones that did survive have been smashed to bits while in transit from one owner to the next.

They also ship notoriously poorly, so a number of ones that did survive have been smashed to bits while in transit from one owner to the next.
Yes.... it takes very close co-ordination with the shipper....

Last edited:
You guys are too funny. I only have half of the 1984 production run. :)

The answer is 95%+ of them have been scrapped. They are too big to just chuck in the closet.

Yeah, too big to stuff under a crawlspace ...and at the time no one really thought there would ever be any more interest in them. After all, the 16B with 6MHz 'short' CPU was 'officially' stuck on TRS-XENIX 1.3 (unofficially there PALs to upgrade to run 3.x, which have since been revived even for the 'long' CPU in the 'enhanced' II and 16(A). The 16B was the first of mine to be scrapped; kept the 12 the longest.

Back