• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where do you store your vintage collection?

Exceter

Experienced Member
I think most of us, myself included, have managed to collect more than we are able to use at one time. Where does everyone store their overflow? I have mine in the attic, at present:
2019-08-01.jpg

Agree with the statement: more collected than I can use at one time. I will add: or is sensible to own. My favorites units (around half) and all software are stored in various closets around the house. The remainder are boxed in my garage. Don't have a picture, but envision 1/2 of a car bay that looks like your attic.

I have a closet with common parts I am likely to need and a storage unit full of oddball stuff and machines that I haven’t gotten around to fixing.

I live in Texas and the garage and attic are just not options with the heat / humidity issues

My collection is entirely in my computer room and closets in that room.

file.php

I didn't want to have computers all around the house (as I did before), so now the only place I have computers is the computer room. (imagine Homer Simpson saying "Computer in computer room.... makes sense.")

Keep them away from chemical and ozone (smog or electric ionic air purifiers).

I keep mine in my basement mostly on shelving some setup on desks or folding tables plus a few in my room under my L-shaped computer desk (plus a few laptops I play with). Some misc overflow gear is in the garage stored in plastic tubs with lids.

My basement is partially finished. The unfinished part serves as my storage space, workshop, and play space. Added some electric and lighting. A nice standing desk with motorized height adjustment for a workbench has been a blessing for my back.

I have two rooms in the house, a computer room and a server room, which also has storage. Those are in the link below. Other items go into "cold" (climate controlled storage) if they're working, or "hot" if they're parts/busted and I'm keeping it for some reason.

I have two rooms in the house, a computer room and a server room, which also has storage. Those are in the link below. Other items go into "cold" (climate controlled storage) if they're working, or "hot" if they're parts/busted and I'm keeping it for some reason.

I see you've got a "New Coke" there. I saved a bunch of cans when New Coke first came out in 1985 - but then I thought, "That's silly. New Coke will be around forever, so there's no point in saving cans!" Then I trashed them all.

Who knew New Coke would be gone a few months later. (gone from Canada, at least - I think it lasted a bit longer in the US)

New Coke tasted like Pepsi to me back then. I wonder if anybody saved the original Cokes with cocaine in them, they must be worth a mint now?

I miss orange Crush in the bottles. Acidic drinks in cans can taste metallic, in plastic bottles they can taste like plastic, glass was pretty much inert.

You can thank the "Pepsi Challenge" promotion for New Coke. The TL;DR is that if you give human beings just a single sip of two random liquids they fairly reliably will pick the sweeter one as "better", so even people that would probably prefer to drink a full can of Coke will prefer a single sip of Pepsi. The Coca-Cola Company nonetheless freaked out at continually losing the challenge and, well, wackiness ensued.

I also thought it tasted similar to Pepsi. However, my dad said it tasted like RC to him, and I read somewhere else that they likened it to the taste of Diet Coke but with sugar, which makes sense given the history of the beverage.

I actually rather like it, but an effective price of $10 a can (at the current rate of buying those ST gift packs) deters me from indulging further, and overall I still prefer Mexi-Coke.

I stopped drinking Coke (and all pop) in the late 90's when I stated noticing a horrible tangy aftertaste. I don't know if it's the high-fructose corn syrup or some other ingredient cheapening, but I just know it really started to taste bad. I still have memories of how things used to taste. I never thought I'd have to look longingly back to a time when they used real sugar, real flavours and glass bottles. I still have good memories of Orange Crush, Lime Ricky, Black Cherry, Cream Soda, Root Beer (made with actual roots), and the original Mountain Dew (before it tasted like lemon-flavoured pig vomit).

Oh, what a time to live in.

Storage shed outside. Fortunately, everything seems to fare well. It's a clean and pretty new shed, mice can't get into it, etc. I try to make sure all magnetic media is stored inside, though I have missed a few things I've found...not sure how sensitive they really are to heat and cold.

Wesley

Bedroom, garage, and some crappola in an old mini van. As soon as I have a yard sale the bedroom is getting emptied out because there will be more room in the garage at that point. I can't tolerate clutter anymore. Oh how could I forget, the sunroom had a pile of stuff also. Oi vay.

Back