• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where the heck did all the terminfo entries for hardware serial terminals go?!?

bladamson

Veteran Member
So it looks like /lib/terminfo is really stripped down in newer Debian/Devuan releases (I'm running Devuan Ceres). Nothing but stuff like ansi, linux, xterm, etc. Nothing for my H19 or DT-1 anymore.

Grepping around through the package database doesn't turn up any kind of subpackage to restore them, but maybe I am not grepping for the right things...

I compiled the master terminfo list from ESR's site and installed it by hand, so crisis averted for now.

But what the heck? Even if they trimmed the default terminfo to only include virtual terminal stuff, you'd think they'd still distribute the rest of it in another package or something.

Am I just crazy, or have something broken?!?

Eh nevermind. I installed a bunch of ncurses-dev stuff that pulled in a pile of dependencies and the full terminfo database magically reappeared. Weird though.

I'll blame it on gremlins, rather than my own dumbness. >_>

Digging around it looks like the stripped down list comes in the “ncurses-base” package and there’s an optional package called “ncurses-term” that has “all the numerous terminal definitions not found” in the base package?

I could have sworn I'd installed ncurses-term. Oops, lol.

Oh well.

Too bad I can't seem to just delete this whole thread...

It makes a certain amount of sense they'd drastically trim down the default set these days. Probably don't really need H19 or Tandy M100 in your Amazon container. ;)

Hey, if you really need it it's only an apt-get away. ;)

This does remind me of some of the terminal handling hijinks I've run into trying to use my Tandy 1000 as a terminal over telnet. (On a private network only, of course.) Tried several different DOS telnet programs with ANSI and VTxxx emulations and, yeah, "screen" sessions find a way to bust them all in subtle ways.

Hey, if you really need it it's only an apt-get away. ;)

This does remind me of some of the terminal handling hijinks I've run into trying to use my Tandy 1000 as a terminal over telnet. (On a private network only, of course.) Tried several different DOS telnet programs with ANSI and VTxxx emulations and, yeah, "screen" sessions find a way to bust them all in subtle ways.

I've been pretty satisfied with mtcp's telnet into my Debian 11 box. Took a little finagling but I think everything is working properly now.

Back