• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which defunct/disappeared computer manufacturer would you bring back?

When I first started out in school, there were one or two //e computers left in the school. There were LC IIs and IIIs in some of the classrooms, but we had got a new shipment of iMac G3s by the end of the year. I mostly remember the square-button Apple Bus mouses. And I really do think we had a Lisa there too.

When I first started out in school, there were one or two //e computers left in the school. There were LC IIs and IIIs in some of the classrooms, but we had got a new shipment of iMac G3s by the end of the year. I mostly remember the square-button Apple Bus mouses. And I really do think we had a Lisa there too.

Elementary school through most of middle school was all Apple II's for me, though I do remember my middle school did have one computer lab with Mac LC's. Freshman year of high school they installed ONE Performa 5200 in each class room, and then it was my junior or senior year of high school when the school replaced the last Apple II lab with iMac's (the original bondi blue ones, with hockey puck mice).

Same here, there was one Power Macintosh 6260 in each classroom. I remember fondly pressing the backwards play button and hearing the iconic startup sound. These Macs for some reason didn't want to work with the Accelerated Reader server very well, so we always had to go next door to the classroom with the iMac if we wanted to take the test on whatever book we were reading.

Wow, never heard of Norsk Data. They did some pretty serious stuff though, according to Wikipedia. :)

It would have been interesting if some of the Soviet government-era computer manufacturing had been commercialized, and the Russians had a competitive computer industry. They seemed to have had a lot of computer manufacturing going on in the Eastern Bloc, I know nothing about any of it.

CTRL-ALT-вычеркнуть, baby.

Last edited:
it would be interesting, but the only thing computer related to the soviet era and held one is the clone of the 8088 *if memory serves*, and in movies, one of the piece brosnan james bond movies, where they are in russia *Goldeneye* **i think** and the lady asks to use a computer, the salesman takes her to an IBM PC AT yet says it's got a 500mb hard drive.... So it would be interesting to see what came out of the bloc, either cloned, modded, or built in the bloc itself.

Everex
AST
Gateway 2K of the old days w/ the beige colors

I liked G2Ks spunk. They made good systems and were cheaper then the other clones. Everex and AST were both innovators as opposed to the other clone makers.

It would have been interesting if some of the Soviet government-era computer manufacturing had been commercialized, and the Russians had a competitive computer industry. They seemed to have had a lot of computer manufacturing going on in the Eastern Bloc, I know nothing about any of it.

CTRL-ALT-вычеркнуть, baby.

Many Soviet-era home computers were clones of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum -- some supposedly authorized, but many others most likely not.

The Russians also tried to one-up U.S. and British engineers by making trinary (ternary?) computers, where the logic ran at +5, 0, and -5 volts, instead of just at +5 and 0.

Meanwhile, they were, and probably still are, the last in the world to mass-produce vacuum tubes.

Many Soviet-era home computers were clones of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum -- some supposedly authorized, but many others most likely not.

The Russians also tried to one-up U.S. and British engineers by making trinary (ternary?) computers, where the logic ran at +5, 0, and -5 volts, instead of just at +5 and 0.

Meanwhile, they were, and probably still are, the last in the world to mass-produce vacuum tubes.

Multi-value logic isn't all that uncommon. Several Intel products used 4-value ROMs and, if you think about it, there's a lot of 3-valued logic still around, if you consider tristate devices. Even VHDL and Verilog can represent bit values of 0, 1 and Z. However, that's only on the output side--there's nothing to detect the high-impedance state on the input side logic.

But 3-valued logic does have its uses. Google "Charlieplexing" for an example.

Meanwhile, [the Russians] were, and probably still are, the last in the world to mass-produce vacuum tubes.
Unless they're the only source, this sounds a bit unlikely.. vacuum tube guitar amps is a mass product. Afaik their tubes are produced several places, I have occasionally seen Russian-made tubes listed from tube suppliers but these are usually just a few among several. I'll go back to one of them and take a closer look though.

-Tor

Micron! I bought a new one in February of 1997 with a Pentium 2 chip and It's still running fine. I am still using the Hitachi monitor that I bought with it hooked up to my Apple G4 as I type and it looks as good as ever!

At our last Amiga user group meeting a member showed off their x1000 finally (which apparently is the model and AmigaOne is still the machine type). I was reading the manual and didn't quite realize the change in ownership. I had thought that Amiga Inc was still in charge of the OS but that's apparently Hyperion who does the official Amiga OS releases now. The hardware is amigakit (I would link to it but it seems like it's down right now). Apparently Commodore-USA does have the current rights for Commodore hardware and is also working with Amiga to become the official Amiga hardware vendor soon although the current Amiga OS is PPC architecture.

Back