• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

White Ceramic 6502 dated 1576

waltermixxx

Experienced Member
Hi there I recently acquired a white ceramic MOS 6502 with date from 76.
all but one of the legs are in good condition, and the chip appears to work,
only one small problem. Pin 40 is missing (which is reset). I wish it was the SO pin,
or some other unused pin. But what can you do.

I plan on putting it in a 40 pin machined socket to protect the legs, then (don't gasp) put it in my
wire wrapped version of Briel's Apple I replica + for now. It's as close to a real Apple I, I will be getting.
It seems to run fine, just have fiddle a bit when resetting the Apple I replica.

Because of it's date code and label on the metal cap being unscratched and easy to make out, and the fact that it's white ceramic, i figure it might be worth checking with Apple I folks if it's worth fixing some how or if a machined socket is the way to go, with a little solder blob on the super tiny stump on the ceramic. is it worth anything in this condition? I figured this would be the place to ask.

Cheers. :) I wont try and solder anything to it until i get a little bit of feed back. I will post some pictures later on. :)

Last edited:
MOS was practically giving them away at the trade shows back then. Was it WESCON where they had a fishbowl full of them--I don't remember... If you represented an OEM, they'd simply give one to you with a pile of documentation. If not, it would set you back $25. So there should be a lot of them in circulation.

It would be very interesting to snag a 6501.

Yes you can do a repair. I have done it a few times for people.

If you have the old leg you can use a socket to hold it in place and solder it. You can also get a donor leg from a cheaper chip. The trick is to gold plate your repair so not as obvious. That might cost you if you don't have access to a setup. I use a wizard pro plating pen and gold electroplating solution.

I got it with the leg missing already, so I don't have it. Also the break is almost flush with the ceramic, so the stump is tiny, so I think the only hope for it is to remain in a machined socket (perhaps i should find a white machined socket so it looks better?) so there is no movement on the "rapare" once done.

I'm not sure if this is an OEM chip or not. I thought perhaps it might be worth something to a collector, or sentimental value or something... I'm sure it's not worth the crazy $2,300.00 someone wants for a white ceramic 1977 chip on ebay. But I think it will look sharp in my Replica 1+ :) Thanks Corey, Gold Plating the repair sounds like a very good idea. As always it was nice to see you and your Apple 1 at VCF this past year. :)

Cheers. :)

It just wouldn't be right having an NMOS 6502, especially one that early, without an SO pin.

If it were me, I'd make the repair, and not even fret about how it looks. If I was putting it in a real Apple 1, then I'd put serious effort into it.

:) lol ideally all 40 pins would be nice. :) Yup it will have a happy home in my replica of a Replica 1+ :)

here are pictures of the replica. https://www.flickr.com/photos/66577016@N00/albums/72157652082098475

I dont have a spare 40 pin machined socket, but will pick one up tomorrow, and give repairing pin 40 a shot. :)

next time I'm at a surplus store i will look for a nice white 40 pin machined socket. :) but for now, a black one will do. :)

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
The Keyboard came from "Tom" at a commodore Users Group meeting.
he brought some stuff to sell, so I pickted up an Apple II keyboard (that required +12 Volts) and this Unitron Clone Keyboard that is +5 volts only,
and it works great. I just had the changed the 16pin dip header on the end to the 20 pin header (I did not have a 16pin header) :)

both for $5.00 total. :) the Unitron is cool, i can reset the keyboard using cntrl-reset, on the apple II keyboard there was a switch that allowed you to select if you want reset on it's own or via cntrl key. :)

This keyboard has a nice feel. i used to use the PS/2 keyboard via the propeller, but this unitron is much nicer. :) (After I cleaned it...)

:)

Last edited:
Wow. That's the rarest package 6502 with the RoR bug. Too bad the leg is broken it would have been worth over 2k !!!!

Great work on the replica. Vince Briel has sorta disappeared so this might be the only way forward to get a replica-1 unless someone with some PCB layout skills and some time makes a file. I wish I had the time, there were so many things I wanted to do to that design like build in an ACI (using a voltage pump so you can run on 5v) and a USB keyboard. I also hate the location of his reset and clear screen buttons.

Oh well, when human cloning finally works, I guess I'll be able to get all my projects done.

Cheers,
Corey

Too bad about the missing leg. Oh well, it should be happy in my Replica +1. The Replica 1+ is a great little project . I built it when Vince was still actively providing kits. He was very helpful and answered questions. I was also building his Altair Micro 8800 kit. Another fine Briel creation :).

Cheers.

Last edited:
I repaired the leg. Had to chip a tiny bit of white ceramic by that corner to get a good grip on the stub. I soldered on a copper leg from a female jumper socket as the top straddled the stump of pin 40. It's pretty secure but I'm not removing it from the 40 pin machined socket it rests in. ( not soldered to, so it could be removed to place in its final resting spot. ).

I tested it and it works great.

https://flic.kr/p/RoXyxJ

Picturs of the chip, the replica, and the fix.

If I were to sell it as tested and working, what would it be worth to a collector as imperfect but working as it is?

Cheers. So happy I got it working.

So I was messing around with my Briel Home made Apple 1plus replica (with white ceramic 6502 installed), and noticed the following strangeness,
when i am running original Apple 1 integer basic, when I type PRINT 5 <Enter> i get 5
when I install the jumper so that E000R runs the trimmed down version of AppleSoft, when I type PRINT 5 <Enter> i get a very strange responce.
I dont get 5. That does not happen with a standard black 1484 dated 6502. But the 1576 white ceramic 6502, i get the error... I think there
was reference to a bug in this version of the chip?

Is that what I'm experiencing? if so that's a drag... :(

Found this in an earlier post: "That's the rarest package 6502 with the RoR bug" is that what the issue is here?
any comments would be great. :)

Back