• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who wants to help me with a little experiment? (and some street cred!)

NeXT

Veteran Member
After two and a half years of on and off work, 32 lines of Arduino code and 12 pages of hand drawn diagrams and a lot of frayed nerves while troubleshooting with a few other people the, first known and proper interface to plug a conventional Hayes type modem into a teletype machine has been completed.

CGS_1118.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Now I have to test it and record some video footage to demonstrate everything functioning.
I need someone either somewhat locally or even internationally to assist me and:

-Receive a call from me and have a short conversation over the line.
-Call the teletype and again have a short conversation with me.

The major requirement is you need to have a modem which supports the hardware locked 110 baud the model 33 teletype machine does. Pretty much all modern software/codec/Winmodems can't go below 300 baud. Just about any ISA or RS-232 modem will do. Same with some of the older modems found in laptops and Powerbooks.

My old BT modem would do it, unfortunately its not been used for 30 odd years and I dont have time right now to work on it, maybe sometime later, teletype to teletype :)
PIC_0487.jpgPIC_0490.jpg

If I still had my Asterisk box online, I'd be happy to help. I have a matching Hayes modem on my end, as well as a 300 baud acoustic coupler from MFJ (and the appropriate WE 500 desk set).

Kyle

Back