• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 12 in the wings

Recently I acquired a new Asus A15 Gaming laptop which came with W11 Home. I immediately opted for one of the classic W7 start menus, and a few days later MS installed the latest update and evidently saw that I was using a W7 START menu. What happened next is that my desktop now looks and functions like a W7 desktop including the dropdown menus. I like it I like it.

Recently I acquired a new Asus A15 Gaming laptop which came with W11 Home. I immediately opted for one of the classic W7 start menus, and a few days later MS installed the latest update and evidently saw that I was using a W7 START menu. What happened next is that my desktop now looks and functions like a W7 desktop including the dropdown menus. I like it I like it.
For the start menu I assume you're using Open-Shell or something in that vein? Also, mind including a screenshot or two?

I can guarantee for certain that Microsoft played absolutely no part in that transformation, it's something the software did, such as Open shell as mentioned.

I can guarantee for certain that Microsoft played absolutely no part in that transformation, it's something the software did, such as Open shell as mentioned.

Guessing they are using Classic Shell. I use it on a locked down win10 Levono All in one on my coffeetable. Its not horrible. Got tired of using a laptop on life support LOL. Much cleaner looking.
https//www.classicshell.net/

Unfortunately in some areas like Digital Audio Workstation Windows is far more ahead of Linux than in gaming, which is the primary thing that crosses people's minds.

In gaming there is a big force called Steam that's doing the heavy lifting. In audio and other multimedia software there are no such giants. We know Adobe ported Photoshop to Linux 20+ years ago and it just ran, but they decided to abandon it because of commercial reasons.

And alike in gaming the main offender is DirectX. Windows get obsolete whenever MS decides to drop support for new DirectX release.
I had to recently abandon Windows 7 for DAW because new(er) software did not support it anymore. What's funny is that we don't actually use DirectX audio but ASIO system, however the plugins still want to draw their fancy UI and they want new DirectX. So stick it up, Windows 7.

For the start menu I assume you're using Open-Shell or something in that vein? Also, mind including a screenshot or two?
The "Classic" menu options are built into W11 and they offer a wide choice of W7 menu styles. Sorry, I have to much personal stuff on my laptop desktop to offer it up.

Here's a link to get you started:

Last edited:
Unfortunately in some areas like Digital Audio Workstation Windows is far more ahead of Linux than in gaming, which is the primary thing that crosses people's minds.

In gaming there is a big force called Steam that's doing the heavy lifting. In audio and other multimedia software there are no such giants. We know Adobe ported Photoshop to Linux 20+ years ago and it just ran, but they decided to abandon it because of commercial reasons.

And alike in gaming the main offender is DirectX. Windows get obsolete whenever MS decides to drop support for new DirectX release.
I had to recently abandon Windows 7 for DAW because new(er) software did not support it anymore. What's funny is that we don't actually use DirectX audio but ASIO system, however the plugins still want to draw their fancy UI and they want new DirectX. So stick it up, Windows 7.

I'm no expert, but I think Reaper and Bitwig Studio can run with most of the Windows only DAWs out there.

I can also use my old Delta 1010 interface with a Ryzen 7 and newest Linux. Try that with Windows.

I'm no expert, but I think Reaper and Bitwig Studio can run with most of the Windows only DAWs out there.

Neither are big players. And there are open source DAWs (Ardour) that come close to that scope of functionality.

DAW "space" is dominated by Digidesign and Steinberg. Even if you do not use their main DAW software directly, even if you do not use their audio APIs directly, you'll have to use their plugin formats.

You can try to run VST DLLs under Linux with wine emulation but that's just experimental.

Consider that as a beginner you might buy a $100+ audio interface, and a $100+ plugin, like a software synth that you want to use for bulk of your work. You can use "lite" DAW that came with the interface. If you choose that's it and go Linux, you're likely to have both knowledge issues in setting everything up and emulation of the paid plugin just might not work. Or, you can pay as low as $20-$30 and get a Windows key, ensure that everything you have works out of the box, and everything you choose to buy in the future will work too.

I can also use my old Delta 1010 interface with a Ryzen 7 and newest Linux. Try that with Windows.

Linux/BSD always had better legacy compatibility given that the drivers actually exist.
As far as I recall maudio cards are based on VIA Envy24 which was always nicely supported in FOSS. My old card E-Mu Systems never worked on *nix OS and probably never will. So I can also say - try that with Linux.

Err...this thread is about Windows future. Not hobbies. In that context, I said some people cannot easily replace Windows.
"record and play music" is an extremely low goalpost which in my opinion is not a DAW thing but "computer with working soundcard" thing.

Err...this thread is about Windows future. Not hobbies. In that context, I said some people cannot easily replace Windows.
"record and play music" is an extremely low goalpost which in my opinion is not a DAW thing but "computer with working soundcard" thing.
You are not a MOD so please do not tell other members of vcfed.org what they can and can not post on an "off topic" thread.

Making MS Windows 12 "play to play" is going to have a HUGE impact on MS'as bottom line IMHO. And there definitely will be a HUGE push back by users....

Have a nice day.....

Last edited:
I like how you responded to my retracted statement rather than answer the simple question.

This is a hobbyist website, I'm not sure why it would be so far-fetched to assume that people who join this site are in the hobby.

I said record and play music as a gross oversimplification of things, obviously. Not sure why I need to elaborate on the intracacies of a DAW to someone who is assummingly not an idiot.

I didn't really want to have this conversation go this route which is why I retracted my statement. I am still curious as to whether your older equipment works in a modern OS.

Last edited:
I like how you responded to my retracted statement rather than answer the simple question.

This is a hobbyist website, I'm not sure why it would be so far-fetched to assume that people who join this site are in the hobby.

I said record and play music as a gross oversimplification of things, obviously. Not sure why I need to elaborate on the intracacies of a DAW to someone who is assummingly not an idiot.
My simple question has not been answered either.

Like Zare I have similiar problems with my older Digidesign gear. The drivers are so old that anything beyond Windows 8 becomes somewhat unstable. Also have issues with my mixing controllers as well, older numarks.

Why do you have to upgrade the hardware or OS if what you have still works fine? It's not like you need to do browsing and banking on the Digidesign system.

Back