• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.11 Network Errors

cmc

Experienced Member
Hi everyone. In the continuing saga of trying to access FTP/Telnet from my Win 3.1 486 box, I have installed an HP27245-60001 8-bit ISA card. I bought it recently, and the owner claims he tested it for network connectivity. Also, I ran a diagnostic program from HP for the card, and the card passes every test. So I believe the hardware is fine.

I then loaded up WfW and set up the HP27245 drivers included with the Windows installation. I also installed "3.11b" TCP/IP stack for WfW pretty much following this guide:
http://www.yale.edu/pclt/WINWORLD/WFWG311.HTM
The installer made some changes to config.sys and autoexec.bat, the most important of which seems to be to run "net start" at boot.

Everything seemed to check out until the reboot. These rather cryptic error messages showed up as soon as I entered Windows. Without any error codes or log files, I'm pretty much at a loss:

IMG_20150314_180725308.jpg
IMG_20150314_180737443.jpg

The only thing I could think of from that point was to see if I could get some useful errors from the prompt. Not too much:

IMG_20150314_181022010.jpg

I would be grateful for any clues you might have!

The most important configurations to have right on a working NIC is the IRQ and IO address. Are you sure you have them configured correctly on the card? Some cards allow you to configure them in the Driver/installation/testing software, whereas other cards might require a jumper setting(s) on the card. Do the HP diagnostic tests confirm the IRQ and IO address is configured correctly? If they are, then you have to be sure that Windows is using the same IRQ and IO in the network configuration.

Not familiar with this network card, but errors like that can also indicate an incorrect or older driver. With some kinds of cards different revisions may require a newer driver than what is provided with the OS. Might try a driver from a driver disk if one can be found.

Thanks Everyone!

I was able to make it work by switching the base I/O port to 2C0 from 300. Simple once I knew what to look for.

I will upload the HP27245 diagnostic files later in case anyone reading this thread in the future needs them.

BTW, this message posted from my 486 box using Navigator 4.08! Looks dreadful! :)

HUZZAH! :D

This forum website is ironically a little too much for old computers and browsers! I had it working on my 386 computer in Netscape, but insanely slow and really bad graphics. (I only have 16 colors on that one ;) )

Back