• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 7: Copying a corrupt file

Maverick1978

Veteran Member
Hey, guys... I've an Edirol R09-HR audio recorder. It's a device that records directly to SD cards either from the internal mic/speakers, or from an external mic.

I was recording this weekend when my batteries ran out. Trying to salvage the 1.6gb (1 hr) worth of recording I had (about half of the concert), I tried to copy the file over to my PC. To my surprise, Windows 7 tells me that the file or directory is corrupted and won't copy it, specifically:

Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

It's been a number of years since I last messed with that error (Win95 days). Anyone have any ideas how I can read this file to copy over and attempt to salvage it in Audacity?

Anyone have any ideas how I can read this file to copy over and attempt to salvage it in Audacity?
Perhaps try to read the file with another OS. A live CD may be an easy way to do this. I'm thinking like Linux or FreeBSD perhaps even just temporarily loaded on a second computer without a GUI to save time and using command line to convert, edit, or copy. ... just a thought. :)

That was my thought as well--just boot a live copy of Linux (Knoppix is pretty good) and dd the data from the SD card. Correct it at your leisure--the data in a big file is probably stored consecutively, so you need only locate the beginning and ending points.

If not, this can be a destructive action but you could try running chkdsk on the volume with the corruption (I'd do this last resort though as if may delete fragments or the entire file if it thinks it's in error). There's a fairly nice but not free file recovery tool I've used as well called ZeroAssumptionRecovery. It was one of the few I found that could reliably go through a drive/partition and scan for known file data without the fat system being intact. Still I would agree with the previous and free posts of using a linux type live-dvd. I'm not sure how up to date Knoppix is anymore, I see good driver support with some "linux mint" distro although I've never heard of them until recently (they claim to be quite large) but I had good luck with them detecting drivers on some older hardware where my other live cds didn't.

Worst case scenario, as long as it can read your sd card you can dd it to a file as a backup that you can either play with or possibly restore later if one of the other solutions screws things up.

Back