• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 95 Network configuration on 486

No, I was talking about the BIOS setup menu, not the jumpers--it's clear that the LAN doesn't have a jumper for a specific IRQ.

But I'd still like to know what the LAN chip is.

But I'd still like to know what the LAN chip is.

Ahah, its an Accton UK0022:

uk0022.jpg

Found the driver for it too (online -- not bundled with win95), loaded it up in the Network control panel, and everything works with static IP settings (DHCP still a no go).

Welcome to Internet Explorerer 2.0!

vcf.jpg

Last edited:
I've got Win95 installed on a 16MHz 386 box here and I've used IE 5.5 on it to surf. It helps if you're doing something else, such as reading a long novel as your pages load, but it does work... It's got a whopping 13MB of memory.

Hehehehe, on the sites that I maintain I've installed an IE6 KILLER. In short, it gives you the opportunity to upgrade your browser or it kicks you out and while I don't remember for sure (I'd have to take another look at it) whether it just redirects you to someplace nice or not there is an option to redirect you to someplace that will crash IE6 or lower. You ask why? In short because IE6 is the... ‘weapon of choice’ for most eastern European website hackers. So prudence directs that IE6 not be permitted. Sorry, but you gotta' do what you gotta' do. :)

Back