• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows NT 3.5 vs 3.51

I still work on dozens of machines running 3.5,3.51, and 4.0.

I don't know anything about the OSs on them though other than that they just run and run.

Thanks for all the responses.
Did anyone ever upgrade a system from NT 3.5 to NT 3.51?

I did. I was running it on a Toshiba T4700CS notebook and I badly wanted the PCMCIA support. I think it was so I could get NIC working. I used it with Borland 4.5/5 to develop DOS applications at the time. I loved how a bad application couldn't take the whole system down...

I can't remember if it was an upgrade or new install I did of the NT 3.51, probably new install.

IIRC, one of the major knocks on NT at the time, was the lack of or hit-and-miss approach to USB support. Seems there were a few drivers from various manufacturers, but nothing in the mainstream like for a mouse or keyboard. With 2K already available, you can see why MS wasn't about to go all out for USB on NT.

I still work on dozens of machines running 3.5,3.51, and 4.0.

I don't know anything about the OSs on them though other than that they just run and run.

Holy cow, what still runs on that? Embedded systems, I guess? Probably all our ATMs that they can hack into jackpot mode now? :)

One of my clients in the medical field maintains X-Ray radiation generators that are over 30 years old, run iRMX and are accessed via 1.2M floppy drives. :)

If it works, why scrap it?

The stuff running on NT 3.5/3.51 may be less susceptible because it represents a much smaller target. There's still a lot of OS/2-embedded stuff out there, by all reports.

Holy cow, what still runs on that? Embedded systems, I guess? Probably all our ATMs that they can hack into jackpot mode now? :)

Industrial automation equipment that isn't internet connected.

Ever see a Guru Meditation error on an ATM? I have. The odds of that actually occurring always made me think that there must be a lot of those out there, unless it was poorly written software.

Thanks for all the responses.

Did anyone ever upgrade a system from NT 3.5 to NT 3.51?
I upgraded a 3.51 Server to NT4.0 Server, does that count :) My partner I believe had upgraded the server from NT 3.5 to 3.51. On intel servers btw. I don't remember any big problems with the NT4 upgrade, but we were starting a new company for a new project and it was a giant learning experience for both of us, coming from a DOS world at the time.

I upgraded many servers from 3.5, to 3.51 and 4.0. Mostly, they were replacing Novell Netware servers in the mid-to-late 90's.

I seem to recall there was a "technology upgrade" also to 3.51 that added the 4.0/Win95-style explorer, before 4.0 came out.

I seem to recall there was a "technology upgrade" also to 3.51 that added the 4.0/Win95-style explorer, before 4.0 came out.

This is true - you could preview the new style "windows 95" shell with start menu!

This is true - you could preview the new style "windows 95" shell with start menu!
That was called "NewShell":

http://toastytech.com/guis/misc4.html

And if you run Office 97 on NT 3.5x, it creates it own Windows 95-style interface:

http://toastytech.com/guis/nt3513.html

nt351word.png

Last edited:
I truly despise every Microsoft animated character. That stupid dog with the search is also grating.

Ah, but then there was Bob with its own dog, Rover, which probably is the basis for the Search Dog. Never assume that Microsoft will abandon a bad idea.

100-1d05b97cea16019ee524c358be7c90b6-Microsoft%20BOB%201.0%20-%20Welcome.png

Does it run on NT 3.51?

Last edited:
Some type of animation is necessary for searches to show the system hasn't locked up. The dog in XP was maybe a bit too cute but it followed the Win 9x drum playing for adding hardware. Someone at MS had an idea of friendly computing which differed from users willing to accept impersonal but speedy interfaces.

MS Bob was okay when I ran it on a Pentium III, Not a good product but no longer so irritatingly slow.

Back