• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

with: sempron,duron,Athlon,Athlon co socket A/462

Thanks but I just can't see paying any kind of real money for moderately old stuff. I had already bought a cpu from Croatia, the seller didn't even bother to ship it until I bugged him/her. Just the other day it arrived to my utter amazement. Well, either mobo is dead (PC Chips), but I'm thinking it must be the cpu as it didn't warm up whatsoever, but other chips did. Could my memory be bad? Cpu should still warm up I think.

A forum member offered me some cpu's for shipping. I'll have several P4s, a circa 2000 celeron and a few more items maybe to offer, similar terms. It's so nice to unload some surplus stuff. And if successful, this will be my very first AMD build. I've had many laptops with amd cpus though.

Thanks but I just can't see paying any kind of real money for moderately old stuff. I had already bought a cpu from Croatia, the seller didn't even bother to ship it until I bugged him/her. Just the other day it arrived to my utter amazement. Well, either mobo is dead (PC Chips), but I'm thinking it must be the cpu as it didn't warm up whatsoever, but other chips did. Could my memory be bad? Cpu should still warm up I think.

A forum member offered me some cpu's for shipping. I'll have several P4s, a circa 2000 celeron and a few more items maybe to offer, similar terms. It's so nice to unload some surplus stuff. And if successful, this will be my very first AMD build. I've had many laptops with amd cpus though.

Unqualified guess: Some funky caps on the mobo.

I've been struggling with building some AT/ATX-based builds with a variety of CPUs, just for the hell of it. Failing ATX PSUs, unresponsive motherboards/CPUs with Duron/Athlon (XP/2) Socket-A/462. eBay nags me repeatedly about my lack of Feedback for related items, but what can I do when it takes weeks to get replacement failed components, or other projects take me away from my attempts at progress?

It seems I was under the false impression that the whole "clone" so-called standardisation with PC97 and later feature sets and USB is pretty much a myth fraught with many pitfalls.

I've been struggling with building some AT/ATX-based builds with a variety of CPUs, just for the hell of it. Failing ATX PSUs, unresponsive motherboards/CPUs with Duron/Athlon (XP/2) Socket-A/462. eBay nags me repeatedly about my lack of Feedback for related items, but what can I do when it takes weeks to get replacement failed components, or other projects take me away from my attempts at progress?

It seems I was under the false impression that the whole "clone" so-called standardisation with PC97 and later feature sets and USB is pretty much a myth fraught with many pitfalls.

You're trying to build a retro rig from one of the worst times in computer history, everything from that era suffers from shoddy quality and the capacitor plague.

Pretty much every ATX power supply from that era is going to need recapping, as well as motherboards. I was given an old plotter server a week or two ago from that time frame and both the board and power supply had bloated and leaking caps all over them. I trashed the PSU because it was a no-name piece of garbage and recapped most of the motherboard and it works fine now. Well besides having a hole blown in it from the previous owner trying to plug an audio header into a Firewire header, the fuse detonated forcibly and went about halfway through the board. It surprisingly still works after cleaning up all of the soot, sans the Firewire header. At least I think it's a Firewire header, documentation on this motherboard is very poor because Transcend stopped making motherboards like 15 years ago and their support site went along with it.

But even stuff that works often ends up destroyed by idiot ebay sellers. I've never had luck getting any vintage of motherboard from Ebay because they get destroyed in shipping. The last board I tried to buy, the seller kept a 3-5 pound Zalman copper cooler mounted on the board and shoved it in a USPS medium flat rate box. It had basically touched on the top and bottom and I could see the marks where the box had been crushed. Needless to say, the board was dead and I got a refund.

Well, I just received an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ CPU (socket AM2) from HK. Order was placed on 7/30; arrived 8/11; cost was USD$5.78 and even came with a packet of HS compound. Works fine.

I think you're selling the ebay experience a bit short.

Out of the dozens of motherboards I've bought from Ebay, that the sellers listed as "working", only one ever turned up working, and it died shortly after.

Memory modules are the same, sellers almost never test them. I've ordered hundreds of modules from different sellers and at least one always turns up with memory errors.

CPUs generally show up working, unless you buy an overclocked variant, then the chances of it working go way down. Like buying a used E6600 or Q6600 is playing Russian roulette because they were well known overclocking chips that were often overclocked to the moon and kept that way for years. For a good period of time, "high mileage" parts were being sold on ebay that either didn't work correctly, or died shortly after using because they were killed by the previous owner.

But that doesn't address the huge counterfeiting market on Ebay. CPUs in certain segments, like classic Athlons, Ryzen, 680x0 and other old chips are tampered with to remark them as more expensive variants. Back in the old days, counterfeits were easier to spot, but they've gotten way better at remarking chips. Modern Ryzen CPUs have notoriously been counterfeited by using cheap Bulldozer based Bristol Ridge APUs, sanding down the IHS and re-laser etching the part to any number of other things. Some of the cheaper counterfeiters will sand off part of the IHS and act like the CPU "was a used pull with some scuffing". These scumbags cycle through ebay accounts as they're caught and shut down, but you're often left holding the bag if the account is deleted before you can file a return, making the process far more difficult.

The "ebay experience" is like walking into an old wild west town with a raging gun battle going on and trying to get out alive.

Well a forum member, get this, sends me 10 cpus for shipping. TEN. I'm humbled and amazed. I've only tested 1 so far (and man do they get hot quick), but I assume the bulk if not all of them work. Many thanks to the sender. I'll list these soon and offer them to anyone that needs 1. For shipping.

My Croatian Athlon XP 2600+ also works. I was naive in not thinking there eas a 4 pin cpu power receptacle on something that old. Sure enough it booted right up, and with memory I can't say exactly how it became my possession. Nice to have spare parts. This is on the PC Chips m825g? mothetboard. Was surprised and elated to see it working. Now I need a case.

Same with the P4's of the era. I just use old 5v heavy power supplies and even found ones that work with dual Athlon XP's and a AGP Pro GPU.

I don't know if these correspond to 478 or 775 cpu's. But my HP dc7600 has a tiny p/s. Ok it could have a beefy 5vdc rail I guess.

Curious if substituting a different regulator and a few other components in a recent p/s would take care of the problem.

Entire sections of the PSU would have to be re-designed. A cheap potential solution would be to hang a beefy buck regulator off the 12v rail to get another 5v rail, but I don't know how that'd play with the PSU's existing 5v rail. You'd probably have to keep them separate.

Back