• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wolfenstein 3D CGA edition

jhhoward

demo.gif

I have converted Wolfenstein 3D to play in CGA! Source and binaries are available on the Github page here:

Here is an overview of features I have added to this version
  • Mode 5 black/red/cyan/white palette version (selected by default)
  • Mode 4 black/magenta/cyan/white palette (selected by using the command line option 'classic')
  • Composite CGA mode (selected by using the command line option 'composite')
  • Experimental Tandy 160x200 16 colour mode (use 'tandy' on the command line. Not tested on real hardware yet!)
  • Inverse monochrome mode for LCD displays on palmtops and laptops (use 'lcd' command line option)
  • Widescreen mode for wide aspect ratio 640x200 LCD panels like those found on DOS palmtops like the HP 200LX. (use the 'wide' command line option)
  • Timedemo benchmark - use the 'timedemo' command line option to play the demo as fast as possible and have the average frame rate reported.
  • 8088 compatible so no 286 required!

Plasma

Veteran Member
That's some juicy dithering. What kind of framerate do you get on a 5150?

jhhoward

Here is some footage of it running on a Tandy 1000HX that RetroTech Chris took:

I haven't tried on a 5150 as I don't have access to one. I did ask someone with a setup with a 9.55MHz 8088, IBM CGA (new) and SoundBlaster to run the timedemo and with the largest viewport size it averaged 3.1 FPS. Putting the viewport size down a few notches helps to make it more playable on these systems!

If someone has a 5150 and wants to try it out, I'd love to hear how it plays! :)

Frenkel

Awesome, much better than what I made years ago.

"Okay, now for the CGA version . . ." YES!

wolf3dquote.png

I tried to find that quote in this CGA shareware version, but F1 is now a boss key and when I press Esc the screen gets corrupted.

jhhoward

Oops I forgot to compile in the 'Read This!' part when building the shareware version. There is a #define that needs to be changed at compile time to make this work. Love the quote from Adrian Carmack on a CGA version :biggrin:

carlos12

Experienced Member
Certainly the CGA deserves more love :biggrin:. I don't blame Carmack, after all he did an incredible job with the CGA on the Commander Keen saga. It would be great he knew about this port.