• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: IBM 5160 front logo badge

Exceter

Experienced Member
I have an IBM 5160 which came with a top cover that went for a 3270 and, unfortunately, someone had "corrected" the logo badge with an engraving tool and a sharpie. I'd like to get the case back to looking original so that means I need a replacement. My first thought was to recreate the image and have it printed onto a sheet of aluminum but the printers I've contacted refuse to do it because they don't think it's covered by fair use under copyright laws. This leaves me in a bit of a lurch because if I can't make one and I can't buy one then my only remaining option is to buy a complete case just for the logo badge and then I have the same problem all over again. Does anyone have a super rusty 5160 case lying around that's not worth restoring but which still has the front logo badge? This is what I'm dealing with:
IMG_20190815_181703.jpg

And this is what it's supposed to look like:
IBM_5160_front.jpg

There are a few places online that can make 1"x1" replicas on silver that do the job really. I bought some from case-badges.com which were done really well and you can buy small numbers of them.

See my thread here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?65783-Looking-for-highres-images-of-IBM-5161-case-badge for some high res PNGs that you can use for this.
I have this image:
Screenshot from 2019-09-06 13-13-34.jpg

but the last place I sent it to refused to print it on copyright grounds. I think that restoring my 25 year old computer to original condition falls under fair use but they didn't agree. That thread has some good information in it! Thanks.

Attachments

• IBM_5160_replica_front.jpg
    IBM_5160_replica_front.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1
Back