• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

California WTB: IBM ThinkPad 560 (type 2640) batteries?

Covers: California

TH2002

Experienced Member
Ever since I purchased two IBM ThinkPad 560 systems I've been trying to track down batteries for them, but all of my efforts have been unsuccessful.

Excluding shipping, will pay up to $50 for a known working battery, or $30 for an untested one.

If you have a ThinkPad 560 series parts machine that includes the battery I will consider as well.

Please PM me if interested in selling,
Thank you.

Yes, give rebuilding it a shot first. Much better option than searching for 30 year old cells that still charge. Unless you're missing a battery all together, send it off to chansbattery.ca. They are in canada, but I've heard great things about their service. Haven't gotten around to trying it myself though. They have the proper tools to reset and reflash the BMS, which can be an issue in many Lithium batteries.
If you're missing your batteries, then yes, search for one, but I wouldn't bother paying much for one that works. Chances are it will be dead in a year or two. I've had multiple old packs go from holding an hour of charge to sudden death. Many others will begin with decent charge, then rapidly degrade with each cycle, and then there are the few unicorn packs that actually still work reliably, like the 5 packs I've managed to get for my PowerBook 3400 laptops. So basically, rebuild a dead pack or get one rebuilt. It's not worth the effort searching for a working one.

As for my 560, it will hold around 3 seconds of charge if left on the charger for several hours. Yeah, that's dead.

Unfortunately rebuilding the pack isn't an option for me at the moment since I can't rebuild a battery pack I don't have. Both of my ThinkPad 560's are missing the batteries entirely - and that's really the point of this thread, I simply need to get my hands on a battery before I do anything else.

In my experience, I too have had batteries go from holding a decent charge to dead virtually overnight; that happened with my Dell Inspiron 3800. Interestingly the battery in my Toshiba 420CDT is a champ and even after years of owning that laptop, still holds a charge for about an hour or two (although I know it will eventually meet the same fate...)

Yeah, my Latitude CPi battery did that. Started the darn thing up off the battery, plugged it in, then 5 minutes later I shut it off and unplug it, then I notice it's dead all of a sudden. That was it.

Ever since I purchased two IBM ThinkPad 560 systems I've been trying to track down batteries for them, but all of my efforts have been unsuccessful.

Excluding shipping, will pay up to $50 for a known working battery, or $30 for an untested one.

If you have a ThinkPad 560 series parts machine that includes the battery I will consider as well.

Please PM me if interested in selling,
Thank you.
I'd be more than happy to sell you a pack for $30 lol. I say LOL, because I had them listed on my ebay store for a bit less than that.

Also, you'll need a spot welder, and the 560 packs do NOT take 18650s, but 17400's, which is an odd size. I got one pack rebuilt, but it was a pain in the ass. Now I just need to locate them before I commit to anything, but I'm pretty sure I still have a decent number of 560 packs. I know for a fact I have a bunch of 360 and 750 packs (I've successfully rebuilt NiMH packs for the 750 and 755CE, 1 for the 560 and 1 for the 380 and several for the 600, of which both do take 18650s).

Back