• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: ISA or Parallell Network card for IBM 5160/5155

rosaage

Experienced Member
Hello, I want to buy a network card for use with an IBM 5160 or 5155 computer.
Mostly anything is fine as long as it has a good driver for dos and works with mTCP

You don't need a network card to run a parallel port network, just two machines with parallel ports. One machine is the server and the other is the workstation.

You don't need a network card to run a parallel port network, just two machines with parallel ports. One machine is the server and the other is the workstation.
Can I share internet from one machine to another? If so what software would I need?

The parallel port network is a DOS network. If you are able to run IRC and FTP via DOS (on an XT) you should be able to do it.

The OP is clearly asking for an Ethernet device. An Ethernet device will let them connect to an Ethernet network, not just another machine with a parallel port.

While you can run mTCP over a serial port or parallel port link, an Ethernet adapter is far superior. (Even if it connects to the parallel port, as the Xircom PE3 series do.)

Rosaage - I will contact you offline. If you can't find something I have a Xircom PE3-10BT available. But often they show up on eBay too ...

I've been very happy using the 3COM EtherLink II/16 ethernet ISA cards in my IBM 5150 PC computers. I see there are several on EBAY right now for $20 plus shipping. Also, be sure to check out Mike's MTCP software. It is absolutely awesome. I just finished running an HTTP server over the weekend with it, and now I'm playing with the TELNET program.

I've been very happy using the 3COM EtherLink II/16 ethernet ISA cards in my IBM 5150 PC computers. I see there are several on EBAY right now for $20 plus shipping. Also, be sure to check out Mike's MTCP software. It is absolutely awesome. I just finished running an HTTP server over the weekend with it, and now I'm playing with the TELNET program.

I tried searching ebay and the cheapest one I found was www.ebay.com/itm/191800086002 at 38 usd. And I have also looked for the xircom PE3, but the cheapest on ebay (www.ebay.com/itm/252450369643) is 50 usd.
I have tried looking for 8-bit cards but all of them seem to be even higher than the xircom, and the problem with 16 bits is compatibility with the old 8-bit slots. I think www.ebay.com/itm/252440364142 is one of the cheapest cards on ebay with 8-bit support (I think it has at least) but 30 usd isn't the cheapest thing on earth either. So I hoped someone here had one available for a different price. but as I have not been "looking" for this stuff for very long I'm not too sure about prices, so maybe 30usd is a pretty good price for a network card?

The BEST option would be something local, but I don't think I have ever seen anything with ISA out for sale on local sites except stuff titled "Old computer junk" so I can't really do some useful searching there.

Get an ISA 3C509. I use one in my XT 5160 with mTCP, it works fine.
The 8088-compatible packet driver is in another thread here.

Get an ISA 3C509. I use one in my XT 5160 with mTCP, it works fine.
The 8088-compatible packet driver is in another thread here.

I found this www.ebay.com/itm/191914967956 for 30usd.

Sadly this is not shipping to Norway. I've sent a message, but I don't think it would ship for 10usd. This would probably make the 3c509 a cheaper option.

It seems like nothing on ebay is less then 30 usd shipped.

You want internet on an XT?

For the record, an XT running mTCP is quite capable of running:

• An FTP client or FTP server
  • An HTTP 0.9, 1.0, or 1.1 server
  • An HTTP file fetcher
  • A Telnet client
  • An IRC client
  • Various other utilities - DHCP, PING, SNTP, packet sniffer, etc.

You phrasing makes you sound like you are incredulous. Surely you've heard of XTs connected to the internet before?

I had some great results using Gateway 8-bit ISA cards that actually have an UTP connection. Not tested it on a XT but IBM AT but think it should work just fine too.
Used wattcp and I think drivers from http://www.crynwr.com/. The card was a G/Ethertwist PC

Back