• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: Tandy or MicroSolutions BackPack External 5.25" Drive

Paralel

Experienced Member
I'm looking to buy a Tandy external 5.25" drive (250-1087/25-1087)

s-l1600.jpg

or MicroSolutions BackPack external 5.25" drive (Model: 012525)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Must be tested/known working, and include AC adapter.

If you have one of the above, don't hesitate to send me a PM indicating what you want for it, and a zip/postal code (to get an idea on shipping), you will find I am very reasonable.

Thank You :D

If you can't find the 5.25" version, you can adapt the innards of the 3.5" version--the electronics are the same. Only the case and drive are different. Later versions of the 3.5" unit don't contain the regulator for the 5.25" 12V supply, however. Earlier ones do.

I understand the term "regulator", but is it something physical I can see? I have several of the 3.5 Backpacks in storage and would like to check.

I may even have a PCI/parallel port card.

If I DID replace the 3.5 drive with a 5.25 drive, would the Backpack drivers even work with Windows 7/10?

Thanks.

If I DID replace the 3.5 drive with a 5.25 drive, would the Backpack drivers even work with Windows 7/10?

Too late--I'm not sure that the standard backpack drivers would work with WIndows 95, though I did come up a 95/98 VxD to provide BIOS functionality. If you're even thinking NT 4 or 2K, nope, never happened. DOS/Win 3.1 yes.

I'm looking to buy a Tandy external 5.25" drive (250-1087/25-1087)

or MicroSolutions BackPack external 5.25" drive (Model: 012525)
You can run any standard floppy drive externally by simply extending the power and ribbon cables to run outside the case. I did this for years on my 286 when I wanted a third floppy and there was no bay to house it in the case. Or you can use an external PSU for the floppy drive and only extend the ribbon cable.

I'm not following Stone--how do you extend a floppy cable on a system (remember he's running WIn 7 or 10) on a system that has no floppy controller, or, at best, a controller that supports a single floppy?

It really doesn't matter what the OS is.

The OP is looking for a device that is connected by the parallel port, as these devices are. That is generally used when you can't plug into an external floppy connector or run a ribbon cable from the system.

The OP is probably aware of other ways to attach floppy drives to a system. They are looking for something specific, not asking for general help on how to attach floppy drives.

It really doesn't matter what the OS is.

The OP is looking for a device that is connected by the parallel port, as these devices are. That is generally used when you can't plug into an external floppy connector or run a ribbon cable from the system.

The OP is probably aware of other ways to attach floppy drives to a system. They are looking for something specific, not asking for general help on how to attach floppy drives.
Completely correct.

...The OP is likely using a DOS machine.
Correct, a 386 Tandy DOS machine specifically

Also, to anyone discussing issues in this thread that are not directly related to offering an item mentioned in the OP for acquisition or how to adapt an item to what I am seeking, please take your conversation to another thread or to PM. Thank you.

The purpose of this thread is strictly for the purpose of seeking an item I want to acquire, nothing else.

I have this thread set to e-mail me when it gets a reply. Naturally I come to this thread thinking that someone is either offering the item I seek, or information on how I might obtain that item; to get multiple e-mails, only to find that it is a discussion that has nothing to do with the nature of this thread, is, to say the least, rather annoying.

Last edited:
Back