• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB:USA: Big 90s server/workstation case

Mr. Horse

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a really big case from the early mid 90s that has more of the server/workstation look. If anyone has one shoot me a PM and we can go from there.
Id be wiling to take a full system too.

I've got a big, heavy AT case that measures 21" x 16" x 6" with three HH external bays and one FH internal bay.

I also have this 23" x 18.5" x 6.5" Micro Five 286 Novell Server:

attachment.php

attachment.php

P7140027.jpgP7140029.jpg

Early mid 90's servers would be a proprietary full tower (MCA or EISA) running NT 3.51/4, proprietary UNIX, or Netware. Really big early 90's servers cases would have dual 486 or Pentium CPUs.

Early mid 90's servers would be a proprietary full tower (MCA or EISA) running NT 3.51/4, proprietary UNIX, or Netware. Really big early 90's servers cases would have dual 486 or Pentium CPUs.

That is more or less that type of case I'm after. I do not care if its AT, MCA, EISA or what ever.

Wouldn't a "really big server case from the 90s" be a 6' EIA rack full of 4U systems? :)

Many were. But I'm after the really big case that dual or quad 486 and Pentium pro system were in. Like a ALR quad 4 or something.

This is probably what you want. A Micron Computer Millennia Pro2 Plus. Dual 180MHz PPro cpus. I booted it up, it still runs! I was hoping somebody with a soft spot for PPro would want it. I put 2 smallish HDDs in it, a CD/DVD and Debian Linux. The Linux is hopelessly out of date by now.
20181031_180148.sm1.jpg20181031_180706.sm1.jpg20181031_180832.sm1.jpg

I've one that tall but nearly twice as wide, and heavy enough to warrant wheels and a handle for rolling. I'll have to get pictures tomorrow. I was just looking at it today thinking "I need to sell this."

The only thing that I can think of that better qualifies is this:
But I probably can't be convinced to sell that until I get it working again (unless you're loaded and desperate).

I think Everex made a huge server around that time that I would die for (and have no space to set it up anyway).

Look for Everex, ZEOS, Compaq Systempro, Gateway2000 , IBM Mode 95, Micron , Zenith Data Systems, etc.

This is probably what you want. A Micron Computer Millennia Pro2 Plus. Dual 180MHz PPro cpus. I booted it up, it still runs! I was hoping somebody with a soft spot for PPro would want it. I put 2 smallish HDDs in it, a CD/DVD and Debian Linux. The Linux is hopelessly out of date by now.
View attachment 49093View attachment 49094View attachment 49095

that case looks rather nice, but sadly it does not look like it has room in the right places for the project I'm working on. That and Id hate to gut a full system just for the case.
I'm going to be putting a modern PICMG system in the case with a water cooling setup. I do not want to cut holes in the side or top of the case so that I can hide the fact that its water cooled.
It looks like I could fit a tripe 60mm and 184mm or 120mm radiator in the back of the case, but given how long picmg cards are I do not think I could fit much in the front. Id might not even be able to fit the fans in the front.

I've one that tall but nearly twice as wide, and heavy enough to warrant wheels and a handle for rolling. I'll have to get pictures tomorrow. I was just looking at it today thinking "I need to sell this."

The only thing that I can think of that better qualifies is this:
But I probably can't be convinced to sell that until I get it working again (unless you're loaded and desperate).

I would like to get a case like that, but in beige. And Id hate to gut a system just for the case.

I think Everex made a huge server around that time that I would die for (and have no space to set it up anyway).

Look for Everex, ZEOS, Compaq Systempro, Gateway2000 , IBM Mode 95, Micron , Zenith Data Systems, etc.

this info is very much appreciated thank you.

You mean the MegaCube? :D

Now that looks nice. I love old systems like that. I'm odd that way. I like workplace system and servers.

Just a heads up. I found a case on ebay that might work, its not the style I'm after and has some damage and rust. But I believe it would work rather well for my build.
I have not bought it, but may.

Just letting everyone know I found a case elsewhere.
Its massive, has what looks like a full size slot dual 1 AT motherboard, 12 PCI slots 10 5.25 bays, Dual PSU's and looks like a removeable motherboard tray too. It also has some sort of side mounted HDD rack inside the case too. Its right on top of the motherboard.
I should be able to fit a 360mm radiator in the case along with a few 120mm radiators or maybe a pair of 240mm radiators along with the 360mm.

Nice looking industrial type server. Will finding mounting rails be a problem?

Thanks. And yes finding drive rails will be a pain. I'll make new ones. Ether with angle iron/sheet metal. I could make a side plate that has holes dried ofr long screws or cast some plaice rails. The floppy drive in the top has rail so I could use it for a mold.
I'll put a CD and DVD drive in the system and the rest of the bays will be used for a radiator, fans and hdds.

Back