• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: Wester Digital WDXT-GEN F340

Exceter

Experienced Member
I'm looking to purchase a WDXT-GEN F340(F300 seems to be more common) because I want to use a Seagate ST-251-1 in an IBM 5150. According to the documentation F340 is the model number I need for that drive.

I'm looking to purchase a WDXT-GEN F340(F300 seems to be more common) because I want to use a Seagate ST-251-1 in an IBM 5150. According to the documentation F340 is the model number I need for that drive.
However, the F300 version of the card is a 'dynamic' type of controller (see [here]). With the F300, you inform the low-level formatting code of the geometry of the attached hard drive. Down the track, should your ST-251-1 fail, the F300 would allow you to choose a replacement from a wide range of 'MFM' drives (rather than being restricted to another ST-251-1, or equivalent).

... because I want to use a Seagate ST-251-1 in an IBM 5150.
In regard to fitting hard drives into an IBM 5150, in case you are not already aware, be aware of the information at [here]. The +12V rail in the IBM 5150's 63W power supply is rated at 24W. According to the Seagate document at [here], the +12V start-up power requirement of the ST-251-1 is 30W (12V @ 2.5A). Maybe the IBM 63W power supply can absorb a temporary additional 6W at start-up.

However, the F300 version of the card is a 'dynamic' type of controller (see [here]). With the F300, you inform the low-level formatting code of the geometry of the attached hard drive. Down the track, should your ST-251-1 fail, the F300 would allow you to choose a replacement from a wide range of 'MFM' drives (rather than being restricted to another ST-251-1, or equivalent).

In regard to fitting hard drives into an IBM 5150, in case you are not already aware, be aware of the information at [here]. The +12V rail in the IBM 5150's 63W power supply is rated at 24W. According to the Seagate document at [here], the +12V start-up power requirement of the ST-251-1 is 30W (12V @ 2.5A). Maybe the IBM 63W power supply can absorb a temporary additional 6W at start-up.

I did not know that about the F300. I'll check that out. With respect to the power supply, my 5150 already had a 150w power supply in it when I got it, which was strange because it didn't have a hard drive in it. Maybe the power supply died of natural causes at some point in its life. I'm really not sure when or why it was replaced but it should be able to power a hard drive without difficulty.
Untitled.png

Yeah. If I can get the mfm drive to work in the 5150 I'll put an xt-ide with a dom in the 5162

if you were never able to get it to format on the 5162 I don't know if I would spend money on a 8-bit controller for it

it 100% should be working on the 5162's combo card as a type 2 with reduced capacity

Back