• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

xenix on a 386

piptay

I have a xenix os on a 386 and it gets through the memory check then halts with one beep and just sits there any ideas anoyone i realy need to get my data off it as i run MAS90 on it and all my details are on it

i checked the hd and all seems to be good under fdisk it shows and in the bios it shows

i knwo there is a piece of software called pc-tar that can restore repair or even convert the data for me but it seems too good to be true at just 15$

any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont think im going to find any hardware to replace even if i could find out what bit has gone wrong

thanks in advance

also not being a unix / xenix user and not being the one who built it can i boot from the floppy as i have them all without ruining the os or data on it i didnt want to try just in case

Terry Yager said:
Yeah, try booting from the floppy and see what you get (just don't format the hdd, if you need any salvageable data that might be on it).

--T

Thanks Terry ill try it today and see if i can get it up i only need it long enough to print the reports then im inputing it into a newly built raid machine for added security :)

thanks again for the prompt reply

hmmm

hmmm

ok i can boot and i get the prompt
Boot
:
can i try to boot from the hd from here if so do you know the command ive never had to do this before i have documentation but it says to boot from the emergency floppy which i dont have

also im getting header read error: 0
when i try to load /dev/hd0root
this is all at the Boot: prompt

thx

Back