• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Xerox 6085 Info wanted.

deaddog

I am a new member here having just found this site while looking for information about the Xerox 6085. I did find one thread here "Xerox Star Question" started by member Coinages which was some help but it was from 2012 and I was hoping for some more recent info. I am also new to posting on forums, have read about the rules here, and hope I am posting this in the correct forum and not violating any rules.

This is my situation.

My brother was working at PARC in Palo Alto when it was closed down and they turned out the lights. He was writing code and integrating on Globalview. At that time his supervisors gave him a complete 6085, tons of reference manuals for Xerox systems, a Sun 4/110, along with numerous periperals and Sparcserver 20s and a Sparcstation 10. They basically told him he could take whatever he wanted as they were bringing in movers to clear out the buildings and scrap everything. Everything he took was from working systems.

He never did anything with it, has had this all in storage ever since, and is now in his 70s and I am attempting to help him move to Northern California. I would appreciate anyone's opinion as to what the value of any of these systems might be, where there might be a market for them (if at all), and what might be the best means of disposal. I would like to post some of it on ebay but I am not knowledgeable enough and my brother is in no position or able to put these systems together to test anything to prove functionality so all I can say is that they came from working systems.

I, myself, worked construction, am familiar with PCs and have built a few myself, but know absolutely nothing about these older types of systems other than what I have heard from my brother as to how great they were in their day.

From what research I have been able to do I get the impression that at least the 6085 might be worth something as I found one forum link where a fellow in the UK had 3 of them and there were several people wanting them, one bad enough to fly to UK to get it.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

deaddog

Xerox stuff is generally historically significant. That stuff is uncommon enough I couldn't tell you what it would be worth, except probably more than I could afford. :)

Don't toss any of it. In a group like that odd bits of documentation, software, or hardware components could be important.

Not sure how many people are really knowledgeable in Xerox stuff here. In the mean time I'll go ahead and recommend the usual: Post pics! :D and list more specifics. With systems like these, it is important to keep monitors, keyboards, mice, software, manuals etc for each system together. Depending on the size of all of this, you may need buyer(s) to pick things up. Where about are you located?

FWIW I sold one for $2,750 a few months ago, which ended up being around $3,260 with shipping from England to the US.

It was complete and working with monitor, keyboard, mouse, and tape drive. No software with it though.

I've never seen another one sell, so I can't be sure if I got a "good price" for it. Either way, it helped me buy a new workshop so I've got no regrets.

The manuals and software can be found on bitsavers, if you happen to be missing anything. The troubleshooting guide is flowchart based and easy to follow.

-Tom

link where a fellow in the UK had 3 of them and there were several people wanting them, one bad enough to fly to UK to get it.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

deaddog

I am the software curator at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View and the person who started bitsavers, and would be interested in the collection.
We have a large number of PARC artifacts, and our activities have included getting PARC to release the source code for the Xerox Alto.

@SomeGuy
Most of this stuff has been moved to storage in Redding, Ca. I probably really won't have time to do much with it for a while as we are still in the process of moving him, staging and selling his house in the Bay Area, buying a house in Redding and it may take us as long as a month or so before I can do anything meaningful with it. I will try to get some pics as soon as possible though but I will need some time to sort and organize it so the pictures can actually show the extent of it as right now it is just a jumble of boxes with some of everything in each box. I have to make another trip down this week.

You mention the size of all this. In my opinion the size of all this is ENORMOUS, boxes and boxes of manuals, spare parts, loose HDDs, mice, keyboards, extra boards, routes, external HDDs, HDD banks, etc. Needless to say he was quite the scrounger and hoarder.

I tried to get him to do something with it there in the Bay Area as I felt that is where the market would probably be but he had too much going and didn't want to deal with it then.

@Al Kossow
I am quite sure that all of the HDDs he has will still have whatever was being worked on at the time they closed the doors.

@ Tom
I am pretty sure he is not "missing anything" and has multiples of most of it.

Here are some of the links I have found of interest.

The comments at the bottom are what I originally referred to.
https://randoc.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/xerox-6085/

The pictures of the condition of this one that sold for $3600 is encouraging since My brother's is complete and intact.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...em)&highlight=Xerox+6085+Daybreak+Workstation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Xerox-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Sun 4/110
The one we have is mounted vertically in a stand made for it and stands 2 feet tall. The author of this article states," All in all the Sun 4/110 is a very interesting machine. It's the slowest SPARC ever, but it is a pretty rare collectors item."
http://sites.inka.de/pcde/site/sun_4_110.html

Thank you all for your timely responses. Very much appreciated. I will post pics as soon as possible.
deadog

Major correction

Major correction

My apologies to all. My ignorance on this stuff is showing. In reading the original post to my brother he informed me that he was not working for PARC and PARC is not closed. He was working for XSOFT which they closed. He also informed me a lot of his work had to do with re-writing Globalview to work on PCs as GVWin. Sorry for my mistake I will run all posts by him in the future to avoid similar errors.

I have the SUN 4/110 at my house along with some miscellaneous stuff that I have gone thru and here are pictures of some of what I have here.
IMG_0442.jpgIMG_0443.jpg+IMG_0445.jpg

The Sun gear is worth saving too.

I remember about 6 years ago I couldn't even *give* the stuff away, but recently I've seen SPARCstation 20s sell for £40-250 depending on condition and specs.

I'd be interested in a copy of GVWin if it still exists.

I am sure he still has copies of GVWin and will see what I can do. Going down to move more this weekend and will check with him. Will get back to you next week. Just curious, are you in UK?

I am, yes. I just realised I already have GVWin 2.1, so I don't think I'll need it.

I'm sure someone would be interested though. As far as I know there aren't any disk images or manual scans floating around online.

Back