• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-FDC project level of interest

Hi
I think two more "initial batch" builders just came in so I think we are up to 20 PCBs now.

I am hoping to get these ordered tonight with any luck.

There won't be any extra PCBs though. These are just for the first adopters to proof out the design.

With a bit of luck, we'll see the actual production boards soon though.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Is there a parts list floating around so I can order some parts to match? I couldn't find it :S
(I'm assuming they weren't included for $12, if they were, that is pretty amazing)

Is there a parts list floating around so I can order some parts to match? I couldn't find it :S
The XT-FDC web site is [here]. Amongst other things, it contains links to the circuit diagram and PCB overlay (link to "lastest project files").

For basic FDC functionality (no optional functionality), I've quickly knocked up a component list which I've placed [here].
Once I've verified the contents to my satisfaction, I'll get Andrew to put it on the XT-FDC web site.
I'll later modify it to include components for the optional functionality.

(I'm assuming they weren't included for $12, if they were, that is pretty amazing)
$12 is for PCB only.

Hi! There are exactly 20 builders in the queue for XT-FDC PCBs.

The XT-FDC PCB order has been placed.

I expect delivery in late Mar and will distribute the PCBs as soon as they arrive in the order the payments arrived.

Andrew Lynch

For basic FDC functionality (no optional functionality), I've quickly knocked up a component list which I've placed [here].
Once I've verified the contents to my satisfaction, I'll get Andrew to put it on the XT-FDC web site.
I'll later modify it to include components for the optional functionality.
Andrew: I've completed the list. Please add it to the XT-FDC web site. Modify as you see fit.

Hi! Thanks! I've added the parts list to the vintage-computer.com wiki. With the exceptions of the FDC chips themselves the rest of the XT-FDC board components are common-as-dirt bog-standard parts that can be sourced nearly anywhere. Certainly Jameco, Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, Futurlec, etc would all have most if not all the components. Builders can also reuse a lot of scrap components (my personal favorite) or existing bench stock to save some money.

For all the XT-FDC builders, when you build your board please keep track of where you get your components and update the wiki with sources, part numbers, etc. Since this project has multiple international builders the sourcing of parts depends on where you are located. Having multiple BOMs, parts lists, etc are very helpful.

I am certainly looking forward to seeing this project in the light of day. Once the boards are available I am hoping we can see an extension of the BIOS to include the ROM drive. The boot-from-disk-image ROM drive has tremendous potential IMO. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

i see there is a guy on ebay selling a 20lot of the FDC controller chips for $40, could of been a good idea to pick that up, and charge and extra $3- on each order to include the chip, otherwises, looks like small 1-2 lots from China, hopefully not a rebagged chip :(

i see there is a guy on ebay selling a 20lot of the FDC controller chips for $40, could of been a good idea to pick that up, and charge and extra $3- on each order to include the chip, otherwises, looks like small 1-2 lots from China, hopefully not a rebagged chip :(

Check the seller's rep. A lot of these Chinese sellers take pulls, re-tin the pins if needed and re-paint the logo and numbering. Sometimes what's under the paint isn't what's being advertised. So be careful--"surplus" Commodore SID chips are notorious for this ploy.

Check the seller's rep. A lot of these Chinese sellers take pulls, re-tin the pins if needed and re-paint the logo and numbering. Sometimes what's under the paint isn't what's being advertised. So be careful--"surplus" Commodore SID chips are notorious for this ploy.

I ordered two lots (40 chips) from that seller to supply them together with my ISA Floppy Disk and Serial Controller board. The seller appears to be some kind of electronic recycling business in California. Before ordering I queried them if they sell Chinese refurbished or remarked chips, and they told me that they refurbish these chips themselves. Anyway, once I received the ordered ICs I checked all of them (basic test - format/write/read) and they all were functional. Note that ICs do have some unsoldering signs (some excess solder on pins), scratched a bit, and have date codes ranging from late '92 to '96. But for $2/IC it is a good deal. So I think it is a good idea if everyone getting XT-FDC from Andrew will send him $3 more, so he can distribute boards together with FDC ICs.

Andrew, what do you think?

Thanks,
Sergey

Hi Sergey! Thanks!

It is a good idea but too late for the initial batch.

Let's see how the initial batch goes and I'll consider it for the final/production version.

Andrew Lynch

Hi
The XT-FDC V1 PCBs arrived and they've all been shipped to their builders. Finis!

Andrew Lynch

PS, except for about 5 packages awaiting current shipping addresses. As soon as they arrive, I will send those too. Please add your current shipping address to your PayPal message!

PPS, I did not keep a PCB for myself so I am looking forward to the build reports as they come in. Please post!

PPPS, HOLY SMOKE! I just got back from the US Post Office and shipping prices have doubled! That is NOT an exaggeration! I know someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but until I saw it with my own eyes, I couldn't believe it. Wow!! WTF!!

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you to everyone helping make the community XT-FDC V1 project a success!

All but two of the XT-FDC V1 packages have been sent and those will go out Tuesday.

There are still a couple of international packages that have to be sent when the USPS is open.

Everyone else should be receiving theirs soon.

An extra special "Thanks" to those helping make up the short fall in international shipping. I cannot believe how much the price has increased!

Please be sure to update the wiki with any build progress, parts lists, photos, instructions, etc.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showwiki.php?title=XT-FDC+Rev1

Andrew Lynch

I recieved my card a few days ago and started assembly. All is going pretty well, but I have a few questions.

(1)Modem7's parts list for "SECOND PROTOTYPE VERSION OF XT-FDC CARD" specifies a 4.7K ohm resistor with a designation of R5. There is no R5 designation on the board, so I assumed it was the "4700" just below U6.

(2)The orientation of the 34 Pin Header for the internal floppy is not indicated, so I assumed that pin 1 is up (furthest from the ISA connector). This is the orientation that I see on most standard floppy controllers.

(3)The location for the DB37F connector for external drives requires that a less common connector be used because the common one with a small footprint won't reach the rear edge of the card. So I ordered THIS ONE with a .590" footprint to replace the smaller one that I had previously ordered. We'll see for sure if it will work when it gets here in a few days.

Could someone please confirm my assumptions?

All in all the board looks great and is accepting solder very well. I can't wait to test it

Back