• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-IDE Hardware Setup Gallery

My XT-IDE Setup

My XT-IDE Setup

OK. After not finding anyone who had attached their HD to the XT-IDE, I decided I didn't want to drill my beautiful XT-IDE. I still wanted a robust mount for the HD, and I was keeping both my original full-height floppy drives in my 5150. So what to do?

I am using a laptop HD (2.5 in), so it's fairly diminutive. I was looking around the open case of my IBM 5150, and noticed that since the XT-IDE is a very short card, there's lots of room in the remainder of the slot. I also noticed that on the front side of the machine, there are pairs of holes in the chassis that normally hold the plastic "guides" that the full-length cards slide into to help them stay in place. I put these thoughts together and decided to fashion my own HD mount.

I looked around Home Depot and decided on using a 8"x8" piece of galvanized steel flashing which came folded 90-degrees in the middle for $0.62. I also bought a pack of #4-40 screws and nuts for $0.98. These screws will fit through the holes in the front of the IBM chassis perfectly.

Attached are pictures of my project and the results. The flashing is pretty easy to bend with the help of pliers. Whenever you need to make a bend, hold the pliers 90-degrees to the line you want to bend on, start at one end, and work your way across gradually, bending bit at a time, and moving the pliers along by about 1 cm each time. This way, you can make nice, fairly clean bends. The flashing is also easy to cut. I used a pair of heavy duty scissors. The only thing is to be careful of the sharp edges and file them down as you make them.

I measured and marked the holes, marked the hole points with a pen first, then by nailing them with a nail and hammer to make a dent (using a piece of scrap wood underneath), and then used the dent as a guide for the drill.

I mounted the bracket I made to the front of the PC chassis with the #4-40 screws and nuts. Then I slid the HD into the bracket and attached it with just the 2 screws on the "top" side. I found this to be plenty solid enough.

I'm thrilled about how it turned out. The mount is very solid, the HD can easily be removed by taking out the screws on top. It holds the HD in the same slot as the XT-IDE, so it doesn't take up any other space for the other cards. And it cost me under $2 and 1 afternoon. You could probably also adapt this for a full-size IDE drive just as easily.

Hope this helps someone!

DSC03055.jpgDSC03056.jpgDSC03060.jpgDSC03065.jpgDSC03064.jpg

Hi! Very nice work!

If any else is looking for their own XT-IDE board, I have several PCBs left. Please contact me. They are $12 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

My XTIDE LED modification

My XTIDE LED modification

OK, so I made another modification to my setup.

The one thing I wasn't happy about was not being able to see the LED light from the outside of the PC. I like knowing when the HD is being accessed, and with these modern and quiet IDE HDs that can be tough. I then remembered that the XTIDE has an LED header for just that sort of thing. I do know that some have replaced their drive bay HDs with the IDE and have used the front plate's LED, which is ideal. On my setups, I don't have any bays in which to do this.

So what to do? I looked at the chassis and the front of the PC and noticed that there's a nice bit of space at the front to the left of the drive bays on the OUTSIDE of the main chassis (in the area behind the front grill of the IBM PC). I decided to exploit this area.

So I salvaged a header plug and an LED from an old Dell, and after some hackery, I constructed my makeshift cable as shown in the photos. I connected it to the XTIDE LED header, ran it to this front area and used a #4-40 bolt and nut to attach it to the front as shown.

DSC03086 (800 x 600).jpgDSC03094 (800 x 600).jpgDSC03104 (800 x 600).jpgDSC03106 (800 x 600).jpg

The result is a XTIDE LED that I can see from the outside of the case, that does not change the outward appearance of the PC, and that is every bit as functional.

This is a good idea. I've thought about doing this as well, but I haven't got around to it yet. I'd also like to add a reset button to the back of the machine.

A reset button would be great, but I wouldn't know how to wire it. Where do you connect it to?

All you have to do is to mask the Power-Good line (from the PSU) using a simple AND-gate, or you may just ground it (when the button is depressed) using a pulldown resistor if you don't feel like adding an AND-gate.

If you have a 2-way swich, you can wire one terminal to ground (you may use a pulldown resistor just in case) and the other to the Power-good signal input, and the output terminal to the power good output.

Back