• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

XT parts needed (KBD for starters)

Brian1234

I'm looking for some parts for an early IBM XT compatible, particularly a keyboard. We're looking for a well functioning keyboard, not necessarily an 'original' keyboard (it's not for collector purposes). In fact we'd prefer a key layout as seen in the attachment - this is a Hi-Tel Corporation RT-101+ p/n 116305-002 fcc AQ659ZRT-725M This one is has a switch labeled PC/XT on it. I have tried AT keyboards without success.

We may also be interested if someone has a spare XT-IDE adapter for sale or a mono display CRT.

Thanks!

P1010302.jpg

I've changed my profile to show I'm in Michigan (US).

Any pointers to info about the XT-PS2 keyboard adapter?

I'm looking for some parts for an early IBM XT compatible, particularly a keyboard. We're looking for a well functioning keyboard, not necessarily an 'original' keyboard (it's not for collector purposes). In fact we'd prefer a key layout as seen in the attachment - this is a Hi-Tel Corporation RT-101+ p/n 116305-002 fcc AQ659ZRT-725M This one is has a switch labeled PC/XT on it. I have tried AT keyboards without success.

We may also be interested if someone has a spare XT-IDE adapter for sale or a mono display CRT.

Thanks!

If you find you actually do want a keyboard, I have switchables on my site (see link in signature) and, as for the mono CRT, do you want a monitor or just the CRT?

I wanted to follow up and mention that I did get an assembled unit from Hargle, it works GREAT!

P1010396.jpg

I've put it in a Project Box "NO.PB100" from Philmore (Rockford IL) that's 3.2"x2.1"x1.2", and picked up a 1 foot MIDI cord from a music instrument store to finish the build.

P.S. Still looking for someone with a spare XT-IDE card they might part with.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to have a few XT/IDE boards in a few weeks time for sale at cost, however as it's such a small run they won't be cheap.

Darn, the Juko looks like a bit of an oddity, I'm looking for something more straightforward.

An XT/IDE PCB might be a consideration, but it's a pain to order all those parts in one-sies and I see pearce that you're in the UK and shipping isn't cheap either.

A SCSI card known to work in an XT might also be an option (needs to be bootable)? Need to replace an aging MFM subsystem.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the drive. I replaced it in 2005 (2006?) with one I found and it lasted until this summer. I did a reformat on it and it lasted until now. It seems to start losing data (read errors on particular files) so I rename the file(s) to filename.BAD and copy in from backups and it's up and running again.

The Hard Drive is a Seagate ST-125 (MFM)

The HD Controller is by WDC, dated 1988 and labeled:
WDXT-GEN2-PLUS F300R B
61000328-05 4789A 340513

I was just expecting that finding a healthy ST-125 would be about impossible (or silly expensive) these days, and an XT/IDE would be a nice way to move to newer technology, maybe even with the CF units that glitch has.

You could try running SpinRite on the drive. I've had very good success with MFM drives and SpinRite. If that doesn't work you might go to a Seagate ST225. It's basically the same drive in a 5.25" format. I have one or two of them or maybe an ST238R if you've got an RLL controller.

Stone,

Thanks for the feedback! SpinRite looks like it would help but not necessarily proactively... kind of the same thing as I'm doing manually (rename a bad file to reserve those sectors, and copy in file backups).

I did receive a PM and have an original XT-IDE kit on the way to me now!

SpinRite *is* proactive. It reformats the drive, thus removing all bad/questionable sectors from service. And, while it's doing this, it moves all accessable data to known good areas of the drive.

Maybe I used the wrong word, perhaps "active" is better. In other words, if/when another sector goes bad I still have to go over there and recover lost files. I believe SpinRite would help, especially the part about identifying marginal sectors... it'll be my backup plan if I have trouble with the XT-IDE.

Thanks for the help though!

Back