• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yet another new person

uncutspline

Somewhere buried in my memory is a c64 ntsc. I guess emulators can't reproduce the same nostalgia of the maybe few months I got to play around with one.

Eventually I got a Packard Bell (i.t.). Mainly good for word typing or edutainment software. :lol:

I used to visit a neighbor who had a Roland MT-32 - big black box. That I vividly remember. It produced soft music that was downright outstanding. Thing is I'm not sure what his occupation was - he often booted an OS/2. But he loved his Sierra games, which I eventually grew to adore.

I didn't had much exposure to games in general - some chess games. KQ6 + The Dig. Avoid the Noid? Whatever the sole library could get their hands on. At least I know what a floppy disk is. :lol:

Nowadays. Somehow I became reinterested in past stuff. Maybe it's MUNT. Or Dosbox. Possibly Bsnes? Never knew what an Amiga was until last year.

Then I accidentally found out about Hargle's Total Dos Collection @ the massive web archive. So many oldies I've never seen, heard, knew. Colored text adventures. And somehow I'm drawn to this old pixel art, adlib fm / mt-32 + decent 3-channel Tandy ditties. They had to be created with technique and skill - not so much today with 1024x1024 textures and GB soundfont libraries.

I've also somehow developed this weird quirky side to exploring ancient crumbling old dos disk protections or password protection schemes. Some were lazy and others were mightily creative. You get to learn things in a strangely fun way as opposed to endless boring modern stuff like cpuid, SecuRom, Tages, Armadillo, cd nags that rely on secret Windows functions. Booter disks surprise me with what they can pull off!

That's my story packed into a web package.

Although I won't be posting any nodisk cracks here. Not like they're that useful or unique. But it's enjoyable to find new code paths that others didn't do. Or just DIY to understand old x86 code. Starflight 1 protection feels special because it has this scripting language in ~1985'ish. Or discovering a new way to hit Lemmings 2 without relying on a popular scene TSR crack - they record some part of the machine's BIOS code during install for later verification (sneaky!).

But if Hargle is interested in any of them (few so far), I'll share because I enjoy his/her collection (TDC 7) + philosophy.

Thanks. Bye Bye today!

Welcome. There's a ton of variety here to suit almost any old computer fan. Careful though it can be an obsessive hobby ;)

Back