• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yet another PET story

Well, at least you guys had a good reason! I couldn't connect a terminal to one of my AIM65s a couple of weeks ago and it sure looked like a bad 74LS38, a good suspect since it's directly connected to RS-232 lines and prone to ground loops, etc. Went to my local junk shop but he didn't have any, so I had to pull one off another board (as well as the one in the AIM65 of course). You guessed it, after all that pulling and replacing it turned out that I had never had this one on line and so it just needed a jumper installed... D'oh - another dent in my forehead.

But if it ever does go, at least now it's in a socket...

Managed to get the disk drive working this evening. I'm not very good at waiting, so I went ahead and ordered the edge connector needed to make my own IEEE-488 cable. If/when I get a proper cable I can always use the connector to make a cbmlink cable for the user port. Anyway, it arrived in the post today and after a bit of soldering on one end and crimping on the other, I was all set.

First disk format didn't quite turn out right - loading the directory listing I got nothing but a 0 and a double quote in reverse video. Formatted again and it looks like we're in business! I wrote the obligatory "hello world" program and it saved it OK. Weird thing is, of I load it back (even after a "new") the listing still contains the directory information. That can't be right, can it?

Also had a bit of "machine gunning" at the start of the format. I say machine gunning; it was more like a loud fart really ;-) During some operations the centre LED starts switching from green to red pretty rapidly. Either of those things anything to worry about?

Oh, and it looks like drive 1 (I'm assuming that'd be device 9?) doesn't work yet. The format command exits immediately without any kind of error message, but if you try a LOAD the PET reports it's found the program and tries to load it regardless! No activity at the drive though... something to look into.

Update: Nevermind that last bit - both drives are of course device 8 but you need to specify the drive number!

Last edited:
Back