• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your "Must-have" computers

linuxlove

Veteran Member
So what are some computers that are "must-have" for you?

Mine would be the IBM AT. Why? Several reasons:

• Case: The AT's case just looks so neat to me. Flat, clean and simple. I like it.
  • Why not get a PS/2 instead? Too few ISA slots.
  • Why not get an XT-286? Neat, but not very common.
  • Why not get a generic 286 clone? Those would be cheaper and easier to find, but it's not the true (big) blue IBM equipment.

So that's my "must-have" computer. If I can get ahold of an AT then I think I'll be happy :D

The ones I want that I don't have. Once you get them some of the thrill wears off.

Examples: PowerMac 9150, Color Classic, Ti Professional Computer, IBM 5160/5170, IBM EGA monitor, Gateway2000 486/66, old Northgate servers, ALR 6 way PPro server.

I don't know if I have any "must have" computers. But my "wish haves" are in my signature. Although, I am considering getting a 5170 since the 7531 is next to/impossible to find!

Last edited:
I didn't know that 5170s were in such demand. I have two of them sitting on my pool table that I had to take to get a couple of Bernoulli dual 20 units and a bunch of 20MB data cartridges and cleaning disks.

I'll eventually clean/fix/test them as needed, put them on my website and then stick them in the closet because no one is going to pay the ship them anywhere.

Back then, computers were expensive and shipping was cheap. Now it's the other way around.

I've had computers that were purchased by various companies/educational facilities in Europe and shipping exceeded the cost of the computer itself, even with the least expensive method.

Welcome to the era of Less For More.

I didn't know that 5170s were in such demand. I have two of them sitting on my pool table that I had to take to get a couple of Bernoulli dual 20 units and a bunch of 20MB data cartridges and cleaning disks.

I'll eventually clean/fix/test them as needed, put them on my website and then stick them in the closet because no one is going to pay the ship them anywhere.

Back then, computers were expensive and shipping was cheap. Now it's the other way around.

I've had computers that were purchased by various companies/educational facilities in Europe and shipping exceeded the cost of the computer itself, even with the least expensive method.

Welcome to the era of Less For More.

Funny how in the early 2000's I got a NEC 3Ds CRT monitor on Ebay shipped from Canada to the US cheaper then I could get one locally, times do change.

I've already found my real "must-have" computer, the Apple IIgs that I wanted as a kid. Now it's just a matter of finding the right add-ons to make a really nice system out of it.

My "really want but probably will never find" is an IBM "Selectric" ASCII terminal.

I'd also love to find:
The internals (Boards and tape drives) for a PDT-11/130-DC (60k w/cluster option), to complete the nice clean case I have. Otherwise I'll have to pack a small PC and VGA tube in there to make an old-school looking modern system...

Some more GRiD laptops, preferably the real GridCase models and one with a plasma display.
A TRS 80.
A decent Mac II setup and Color Classic.
And... Whatever else I might come across that's interesting, lol!

I'm still debating. It is either the IBM 1983 XT with the 10Mb Seagate, or the '85 model with two half height floppies and no HDD.

Still, an early XT clone with a flip top could be quite enticing. To me the early IBM clones have a particularly important part to play in computing history. I've actually got the parts to put together a bunch of those, it's just the boxes which are hard to get.

If we're talking about wish-lists, then I'd want a Burroughs ICON (with file server) - really only for nostalgia reasons.

Unisys_Icon.jpg

It was a computer custom made for Ontario schools. It had a 80186 processor and ran QNX. Unfortunately, they were all trashed by the school boards, so I don't think I'll ever find one.

If we're talking about the "must keep" computers from our collections, these would be mine:

1. Amiga 500 with Viper 520 accelerator, CF, nicely configured. This is my favourite computer of all time and still fun and easy to use.
2. Atari 800XL with SDrive NUXX (SD card reader). This is my favourite 8-bit gaming computer. I love the look and it has lots of memories for me.
3. TRS-80 Model 100 with 1Mb chip and SD card reader. The ultimate 8-bit portable with great keyboard, instant on, long battery life, light and small. (but slow)

I really like my Kaypros (lovely glowing green-screens and old-style keyboards), but unfortunately they're not very useful. I also have a couple classic B&W Macs and they're cute and have great keyboards (M0116, M0115), but my Amiga can do anything they do.

Other computers I have I thought would be great "must-have" computers (like the NeXTstation) turned out to be utter disappointments.

My #1 "must have" keyboard is the IBM AT Model F - which I'm typing on now.

Still, an early XT clone with a flip top could be quite enticing. To me the early IBM clones have a particularly important part to play in computing history. I've actually got the parts to put together a bunch of those, it's just the boxes which are hard to get.

Yes, a lot of those Tawainese clones came out with flip tops. Very easy to work on.

Tez

Yes, a lot of those Tawainese clones came out with flip tops. Very easy to work on.

...until the $%@! lid slams on your fingers (it's happened to me). For working on tabletop systems, it's still hard to beat a rackmount case just sitting on the tabletop (add some hardware-store adhesive "feet"). Plenty of room and easy to get in and out of without leaving behind bits of your body.

...until the $%@! lid slams on your fingers (it's happened to me). For working on tabletop systems, it's still hard to beat a rackmount case just sitting on the tabletop (add some hardware-store adhesive "feet"). Plenty of room and easy to get in and out of without leaving behind bits of your body.
Pshaw; just take the lid off the flip-top (yeah, I've dropped a few on my fingers too) and you've got the same thing, even better since the sides are only half-height.

@OJ: I've thrown out quite a few; as Druid points out (and he's thrown out even more ;-) ) they are usually not worth the shipping cost, but if you want to spend the $40 or so I'll gladly send ya one.

Pshaw; just take the lid off the flip-top (yeah, I've dropped a few on my fingers too) and you've got the same thing, even better since the sides are only half-height.

Funny you should say that--I ran across an evenlope containing the hinge bolts and nuts for one of the flip-tops the other day--years after I got rid of the case itself.

I want to find:

- "poisk" pc (some ussr XT clone)
- "agat" series computer (some ussr apple clone)
- some "SUN" computer
- some IBM RS/6000 notebook
- some computer from 70's

"Everything" else i already have :)

Last edited:

I don't know how in demand 5170s are but when I say I will take a 5170 I want one that is MINT/NIB/NOS w/ original packaging/foam inserts, etc. etc. The complete tech/DOS/Basic reference set would be a serious plus (I saw a bunch of these on e-bay a few months ago but now they are all gone...). The banged up/beat up/junked ATs are a dime a dozen but if you ever come up on one in the condition I am looking for I'd happily discuss the shipping costs with you ;)

Back