• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

YouTube videos of some of my other computers

My IBM AT (5170) on YouTube. A powerful monster of a desktop computer for 1984.
http://youtu.be/hxfXp5OjIZM
Nice video Tez .. to make it closer to the original configuration I would suggest removing the second HD and replacing it with a beige IBM 360KB floppy drive off ebay. They show up now and again. That would quieten it down a bit too.
Another good addition would be a 3com ethernet card so that you could attach to a share on a contemporary Windows PC for backups.

1985 and 1986 were the period of highest sales for both the Apple II and Commodore 64 so there was still room for 8-bit systems. I think the MSX had the problems that most of the businesses that would import MSX had been burned in the previous home computer crash; the surviving S-100 with Z-80 manufacturers were on a quixotic quest to chase after the multi-user market; and the home purchasers had the option of picking up heavily discounted PC Jrs.

Nice video Tez .. to make it closer to the original configuration I would suggest removing the second HD and replacing it with a beige IBM 360KB floppy drive off ebay. They show up now and again. That would quieten it down a bit too.
Another good addition would be a 3com ethernet card so that you could attach to a share on a contemporary Windows PC for backups.

Thanks. Good suggestions.

Tez

"How you gonna do it? Ya gonna PS/2 it! The answer is IBM"
Here is another Youtube video where I look at a series of IBM models which were suppose to take back the business market from the PC clones but didn't. Also some views of my own PS/2 models. Enjoy
http://youtu.be/bg1ZSxPOb0A

haha, when you started showing the clips on the Model 70 I started thinking of that exact Computer Chronicles clip! I notice his machine has the red switch instead of white too.

I have a few MCA cards in mine (2xnetwork + 1xIBM SCSI), it is a bit "plug'n play" but if your setup disk doesn't have the ADF file for your card, you'll need to load it in. But once done, it adds custom options to the BIOS setup, so for a SCSI card you could configure drives, select boot drive, IRQ etc without going in to a different setup program for each device. On my network card, I could even select which network plug I wanted to use! Quite tidy.

I think you'll also be impressed by the installation, I quite like the mechanism used to clamp the cards down.

Great video.

Last edited:
Great video.

Thanks Jono. Yes, I'll have to give it a go at some stage. I might as well have the card in the machine than outside.

Lots of competing projects in the wind though....lots....and not computer related. I suspect my next video might be some weeks off.

Where is retirement when you need it (-:

Tez

We used OS/2-based Model 70 computers at work for a number of years, as part of a package for satellite data transmission. I wrote a DMA driver for the machine, as I remember it that was a quite pleasant experience. Good documentation, clean driver interfaces.

But I also remember the Model 70 boxes as not very reliable, at least after some years in the field. The last Model 70 I can remember seeing was a non-working unit on a shelf. That was a long time ago.

-Tor

I think Toshiba might've squeezed in just before 1988 with battery powered hard drives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_T1200
I had one back in the day, there was a switch on the back to turn off the HDD to save power while you kept using the machine!

Great video and great machine, I'd love one of those SLTs - must be rare here because I haven't seen one for quite a long time.

I think Toshiba might've squeezed in just before 1988 with battery powered hard drives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_T1200

Also in 1987 Zenith introduced their Supersport laptop with battery power and optional hard drive.

But the Compaq SLT/286 is the oldest laptop I've seen with a VGA display. Most other laptops (or even AC-powered luggables) only had CGA or EGA displays until the advent of Windows 3.0 in 1990.

Yes, I did wonder about that claim of first battery powered internal hard drive. There was only one reference stating that. Another reference mentioned the VGA and detachable keyboards being a first, but no mention of the hard drive so I was a little doubtful. I couldn't find any earlier machines with hard drives referenced though so I let it stand. I'll note it as a correction.

Tez

My apologies to some of those members who left me comments on some of these YouTube videos in the last week. I've only now just managed to authorise them. I was behind the Great Firewall of China where YouTube is blocked!

Not only were they blocked but this forum also!!! You seditious lot you!

Tez

A look at my Windows 3.1-based 386-DX40 PC-Compatible. The last one on the list, although video re-makes of earlier systems are planned at some stage. http://youtu.be/qoN0HhDnRR8

There are also a few strays I need to clean up, get working and add to the collection. These might also see time in front of the camera.

Back