• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Z-171 Keyboard Pinout

mechaniputer

Experienced Member
Hi folks,

I recently obtained three Z-171 portable computers. None of them currently work and I'm planning to repair two of them.

However the third one has been badly damaged. Looks like it was dropped at some point with a shattered screen and several cracks in the case. I've saved all the logic boards and drives as spares for the ones I'm planning to repair. I'm planning to patch it up with some epoxy and put a modern LCD and single-board computer into it. I'd like to keep as many original parts as possible, including the keyboard.

I want to program a microcontroller to read the keys and act as a USB keyboard. I'm using a continuity meter to try to determine the keyboard mapping. The keyboard has a 2x13 cable coming out of it and a total of 77 keys. I was hoping it would be a simple matrix keyboard but so far I can't find any key mappings. I've been connecting the continuity meter to pairs of pins and mashing keys, and I'm not seeing a connection.

All I've managed to find is that the 4 pins at one end are all connected to each other all the time.

Anybody know how this keyboard actually works? Thanks in advance.

-mechaniputer

Actually I'm making some progress now. I think the connections don't work if the smaller board containing the function keys is disconnected. I've cleaned the connector and reinstalled that and I am finding some keys now.

For anyone else attempting to interface a Z-171 keyboard with a microcontroller, here's what I have so far to the best of my knowledge. I haven't tested this yet so follow at your own risk.

On the 26-pin keyboard header, oriented such that pin 3 is the missing one, your outputs will be pins 6,8,10,12,14,16,17,18, and your inputs to detect pressed keys will be 2,4,5,7,9,11,13,15,19,20,21,22. This keyboard has diodes so the direction of current is important.

The function/special keys on the separate board are the only ones that use pins 2 and 4.

As for the key mappings, I plan to just program it live once I have it wired up.

I literally made an account for this I just got a zenith z-170 in pristine working condition I'm gutting all of it to do a new itx build and would also like to keep the original keyboard if possible

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220905-164231_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-164231_OfferUp.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 9
I literally made an account for this I just got a zenith z-170 in pristine working condition I'm gutting all of it to do a new itx build and would also like to keep the original keyboard if possible
I think I'm not alone in this forum when I say it seems like a shame to gut a working one, as they are rare and collectable these days. The one I'm working on was damaged beyond repair including the plastic case itself, which will need some epoxy. But I also have some semi-working ones that I don't plan to touch. Wish I had what you posted above, software and everything. My goodness. I'd urge you to consider selling it, and use (surely a mere fraction of) the proceeds to get a parts/repair one on ebay for this project instead.

I agree; shame to write it off.
If you are definitely going to gut it then -
if the display is working well and clear - I'd like a spare.
In fact I would take the board(s) as well.
The 5.25 floppies are also somewhat rare. they are 1/3 height.
(I for one added a 3.5 inch floppy to my Z-171 so I could use 720k floppies which is working well)

PS I saw that auction; I was hoping that one of those manuals was a service manual, but no luck.

I understand and get what y'all are saying but I got a good deal on it and for me to sale this one and get a different one would be a hassle I am open to trading the parts I'll be pulling out of the pc including the software and manuals and power supply for parts to put into the itx build

Back