• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Zenith Z-140 8088 PC - With All Accessories - Fully Working

Computer collectors are cheap, there are still too many units around for the taking for free (or close to it) if you look around.
People don't like reserve auctions, especially when the BIN price is way more then the item is worth.
Unless you want that specific model (had or used one as a kid and it has sentimental value) you will not bid much for it, wait for the next $.99 auction.
Shipping prices can and do make people not bid on whole machines, especialy if you have to take a printer and monitor you do not want in the deal.

Shipping on that auction was actually decent, but I don't need that model and the reserve price was way more then I would pay (or have paid) for simular machines. You can still find the occasional XT/286 at garage sales and recycling centers for little over scrap. Sometimes you get lucky and all the manuals/software are there as well.

And finally people will spend good money on the top of the line machines. You can get a great price for a IBM PS/2 model 95 on ebay, but little for a Model 30.

I recently negotiated the purchase of a 5160 from Chromedome and I think he's going to "buy" the Zenith in exchange for a refund on the payment of the 5160 - this will work out quite nicely for both of us if he does indeed decide to do it.

I've honestly never seen that before where it automatically jacks your bid up to the reserve. Weird. I'll honor it and want the laptop that Raven posted so no biggie but I was more hoping for someone else to raise my bid not the computer vs me. (This is an ebay thing nothing to do with Raven.. he's doing a great job of posting very detailed pictures of his items).

eBay used not to do that, but recently I'd noticed that your maximum bid is always placed up to the reserve price. I tested it on a reserve auction I was interested in a few weeks ago -- even bidding against yourself will raise the price. If people didn't mind reserve auctions before, they're almost certain to hate them now!

Yeah it's weird.. I can sort of see how they may have thought of it being a good idea such as "you're wanting to pay up to this.. you'll currently lose the auction so let me help you since the reserve is below what you're offering so you don't lose the item". So I can almost see it but I'm used to the auctions that end with "Reserve not met" .. maybe I failed to read some new policy letter.

Woot! Sorry for the inconvenience of eBay jumping the bid up on you, but I'm thrilled that somebody bought it! :D

It's in excellent condition and has a working battery though, so it's really a good buy at $50+ship methinks. Just barely fits in a large flatrate box, which is why the shipping is so low.

Personally I see the way they do the bid-hiking on reserve auctions as logical, but I can see how it might annoy, as well, if you don't realize the policy.

Back