• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ZEOS 486 system free for pickup in East-Central Mass.

joesulldux

I have a ZEOS 486 with peripherals that I'd be glad to give to anyone willing to pick it up within the next week or so at my home in Stow, Mass. The monitor, keyboard, mouse, and computer itself all still work, except that the hard drive ceased functioning some months ago (and will be removed). But the computer still boots MS-DOS from the 3.5" floppy just fine, and the 5.25" also still works well. It comes with manuals and lots of software relevant to the era (Windows 3.x). Here are two photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30334990@N03/4672925098/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30334990@N03/4672924888/

Regards,
Joe

the odds are pretty good that I built this machine back in the day. that is of course exactly why it is still functioning so well. :)
Own a piece of (my) history and make sure this box ends up in a loving home!

I have a mint ZEOS 386 in the same case, only difference is the 5.25" drive is in the top bay and the 3.5" drive is in the 3.5" bay at the bottom. They are very well built machines (does it have the plastic cover in the back of the unit?).

Would you ship or is it pickup only?

If nobody picks it up, please consider shipping it rather than letting it fade away. :/

It looks like a very robust machine - has some personality. It's from the 90s, not 80s, btw.. I don't suppose you know what socket it has? (perhaps hargle does - heh?)

Yes, please consider shipping if you don't get someone locally, that definitely is a fine machine, looks very interesting and I wish I was close to get it!

Your pictures are quite nice, I looked at a lot of them. What is that wood-cased Duxbury Systems computer? Not that I am after it or anything, but I'm curious and couldn't help but ask.

Nathan

ME! Hey I'm in Attleboro! I just recently started building my collection and have my 8088, 286, 386 and am needing a 486! I also am needing a machine to cross the 3.5" and 5.25" gap so I can get some software onto blank 5.25's for my older systems. Let me know, I would give it a very good home!

I'm turning the entire second floor of my house into a videogame/computer collection area. (yes, I am that nerdy) Will have 8088-Pentium IV and the oddball systems like my giant TI99 collection, Apple II stuff, COCO etc.

Last edited:
It says "North Star Computers" "Horizon" as well - looking that up I was surprised to see it even has a Wikipedia page, so you can probably learn quite a bit there NathanAllan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NorthStar_Horizon).
Thanks for that link, it sure clears up a lot. I was thinking it was a custom job and got me to want to make a wood panel case just for myself. I should have looked closer, thanks!

It reminds me a lot of the Altos 986T I still have here on my desk-- accessible througgh a serial terminal running a Z80. Nice stuff :)

Oddly enough, my workplace (which has several former zeos employees and some old zeos hardware) is scrapping a Pentium class machine in this same desktop case. The box is in decent condition, has a CD drive, 5.25" and 3.5" floppies (both high density) I believe it used to be a server here, so it's got years of uptime, so it must be stable. Otherwise, it could easily be a nice sturdy box to downgrade to anything with a non PS/2 keyboard connector on it.

It's free for the taking, but I would need to know *today* if you want it and I'll rescue it from the scrap dealer. I can deliver the box to Madison WI, Milwaukee, Chicago and there may be a road trip out to Denver in the works for me later this summer, so anywhere between minneapolis and there and you'll get it hand delivered to your door.

Edit: the machine appears to have both PCI and ISA slots, so it would be a great box for 'betweeners. PCI video and ISA soundblaster would be perfect.
I am willing to do the legwork for shipping if you're outside my delivery zone. it's a seriously heavy case though. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Last edited:
I'd take the machine, but unfortunately I'm in DE, which is quite out of the way for anything you mentioned. On the other hand the OP's machine is considerably closer, if he considers shipping.

Hello lordofthegods and everyone -- Sorry I've been away from this forum for a while and just getting back. Thanks for you comments, and I'm glad to see there's interest in the ZEOS. lordofthegods, we're only about 50 miles apart so I should be able to get this to you if you're still interested. I'm going to have another outage, though, from later this week through July 1st, so it might be best to arrange for after that.

Some of you noticed the NorthStar Horizons that were still on my Flickr page. They were really nice S100 machines in their day (late '70s/early '80s); I gave two of them away last September, through this site (which provides a great service!). A young fellow from PA drove up to take them, and the last I heard, had one of them running. Those old machines had their quirks, but in many respects it was easier to figure out what was going on with them.

Hi lordofthegods - Please see my 6/19 post to the general thread. I'd be glad to meet halfway, somewhere along 495, some time after 7/1, if you're interested. If you want it in the next few days, that too is OK but you'd have to drive up to Stow because I'm tied up here. Just let me know what works for you.

Hey there Joesulldux, after 7/1 would be fine, doing a big project for walmart that will be wrapping up in a week or so, I'll be back to my regular schedule after 6/28 so I'll have plenty of time to meet you. (of course I could do it on my own time, but why do that when I can do it on company time ;)

Just let me know when you're ready and I will be! Thanks!

Sounds good -- will do!

Hey there Joesulldux, after 7/1 would be fine, doing a big project for walmart that will be wrapping up in a week or so, I'll be back to my regular schedule after 6/28 so I'll have plenty of time to meet you. (of course I could do it on my own time, but why do that when I can do it on company time ;)

Just let me know when you're ready and I will be! Thanks!

Thanks very much to Joe! Got the system today and it's pristine! Haven't had a chance to boot it up yet. All the original documentation and lots of software goodies!!

I promise it'll have a good home Joe, thanks again!

Back