• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do you want to be on TV?

A Corporate Shill friend of mine always said, "As long as we get all of our money, we don't care what you do."

carlsson said:
I wonder how politically correct those TV networks are, if a show without sex discrimination would be easier to sell to them?

It's not the sexism, it's the age-ism that bugs me. Apparently, the show's producers aren't really in touch with thier subject matter, because almost all of the most active collectors that I know are in the middle-and-up age group, although most of us have given up on dumpster-diving as it is too painful to be climbing in and out with arthritis, etc.

--T

Well as a registered old fart I must say that should I find a promising dumpster, I would climb in and search for treasures, arthritis or not. The joy of finding something cool far outweighs the pain of getting there. I remember a thread on classiccmp which dwelt on the bacterial danger of this practice by some of the more wimpy of the nerds on the list.

Lawrence

Heh. From what I originally understood, this proposed show will contain some kind of evaluation event. Will they take the contestants around to flea markets, second hand stores, dumpsters, look for advertisments etc and the key is to give a fair evaluation of vintage computers? Will every contestant get a sum of money - say $500 - and has one week to spend it on vintage computing, which then is evalutated by someone else or sold off eBay; the one who makes the best profit wins?

I understand if the producers don't want to explain everything in public, in case of competitors, but the Antique Roadshow in combination with dumpster diving sounds like two very different concepts. Add the age and sex discrimination to ensure you get the typical 35 year old male nerd.

Of course there are a lot of reality shows with limitations who can enter, but they explicitely say that only testosterone overloaded hunks and blondes with surgically enhanced breasts can participate because that is what their viewers and advertisers are paying to see. As I doubt there are many companies today advertising products directly to the vintage computing community, it leaves the audience is supposed to consist of 35 year old male nerds. As I wrote before, most of those would like to see 30 year old babes dumpster diving, so it contradicts the theorem. :)

Micom 2000 said:
Well as a registered old fart I must say that should I find a promising dumpster, I would climb in and search for treasures, arthritis or not. The joy of finding something cool far outweighs the pain of getting there. I remember a thread on classiccmp which dwelt on the bacterial danger of this practice by some of the more wimpy of the nerds on the list.

Lawrence

Keyword, 'promising'... If I found a promising dumpster, I'm sure I'd investigate it further. I just don't actively go dumpster diving on a daily basis anymore.

--T

carlsson wrote:

> Of course there are a lot of reality shows with
> limitations who can enter, but they explicitely say
> that only testosterone overloaded hunks and blondes
> with surgically enhanced breasts can participate
> because that is what their viewers and advertisers
> are paying to see. As I doubt there are many
> companies today advertising products directly to the
> vintage computing community, it leaves the audience
> is supposed to consist of 35 year old male nerds. As
> I wrote before, most of those would like to see 30
> year old babes dumpster diving, so it contradicts the
> theorem. :)

Of course they would put limitations onto these shows. It's
the same story here I think, though I'm unsure if surgically
enhanced whatevers means anything - unless of course we're
talking about who's available. I've been saying this for years
that reality programs stink big time & I think we're slowly
moving away from it - unfortunately there's still some there -
I've got my fingers crossed though & 'am hoping the TV polls
are correct & that many of the top rating shows aren't reality
(unfortunately there aren't many on at the moment).

What beats me is if it's non-reality show at prime time hour &
it don't rate in 2 weeks - they'll take it off, simple as
that. If it's reality - they just leave it on regardless of it
rating or not. Simply because it's cheap viewing or something
I don't know - but I simply don't support that trash. It also
amazes me how some parents let their children watch these
shows - what kind of damage will they have on the childrens
mind for later in life?

The good news with Telly here (in Australia), is Digital has
been postponed for another couple of years (til 2010).
Originally 2008 was mean't to be the date which saw the end of
the original Analogue signal (going since 1956), however some
people reckon this will carry on until 2012! At the moment I
recently found out that 15% (of our state I think perhaps -
better if Country) only have Digital Telly recievers. Many
people simply don't care about updating. If something works
for them, then why not use it. Personally, I haven't updated
due to the trash they put on telly - so why pay just to
recieve the garbadge they put on telly? Also there's just too
many options & do you think some smuck at a retail store is
going to know what's a suitable set-top-box for your telly?

CP/M User.

Sweden is in the middle of converting from analog to digital. They do it region by region, and here we will switch over on April 3rd. However, I have cable so we're not affected.

I think so called reality shows will integrate as one type of entertainment. There will both be more subtle ones and more vulgar ones, and maybe mix soaps with reality in such way that part of it is played against a script but in certain situations people will have to improvise and handle the situation without the script. As computer graphics improve, we can look forward to reality shows in a CG environment too, maybe a virtual Survivor with humans versus the computer.. sounds like a computer game transferred to prime time television.

In many of the reality shows over here - not only those who take part on a beach or swimming pool - it is almost common practise for the girls (ages 18-35) to either have done a breast augmentation or state they will do it for the money if they win the show. It is a bit tragic, but eventually if almost everyone can afford to get their dream breasts, it will diminish from being something attractive. Noone will care or even find the ones who resist more likeable.

carlsson wrote:

> Sweden is in the middle of converting from analog to
> digital. They do it region by region, and here we
> will switch over on April 3rd. However, I have cable
> so we're not affected.

Well that's much different from here. I guess you're not sure
if you need to pay when you switch over?

From what I've seen of Digital so far, it's simply not worth
paying $100-$1000 (depending on what kinda box you need) just
to be with the times. Here they offer Standard Definition -
which is the cheaper - but guarantees you get the rubbish for
some time to come. High Definition - you need a special telly
(or something to get) & the set-top boxes are more expensive.
What beats me is does is box work on an ordinary telly (nobody
seems to know - cause out of all the recommendations I hear
about these things - nobody actually seize). The truth of the
matter is I've heard people going out - buying one of these
boxes & getting it home - only to find out it's not compatable
with their telly! So is it really worth it. The other biggest
piece of rubbish I heard was more Digital (Plasma, LCD,
whatever sets) - most of them while they cost the earth (LCDs
pretty cheap - with the smaller stuff), you still need some
box to pick up the stations. The only TV I heard about which
has a built-in tuner (for Digital) are these LG Tellys (which
cost heaps anyway!).

For me, I'm happy to stick it out with the DVDs - they seem to
be comming down in price for both Movies & TV shows - which
offer plenty of hours of commercial free viewing (plus you can
just about get whatever classic shows are on offer). The only
real thing I'll miss is the Cricket, I'll have to get used to
listening to it on the radio.

> In many of the reality shows over here - not only
> those who take part on a beach or swimming pool - it
> is almost common practise for the girls (ages 18-35)
> to either have done a breast augmentation or state
> they will do it for the money if they win the show.
> It is a bit tragic, but eventually if almost everyone
> can afford to get their dream breasts, it will
> diminish from being something attractive. Noone will
> care or even find the ones who resist more likeable.

Generally I think that's a turn off. It's simply unnatural &
is a perfectionists quest to be perfect. As the old saying
goes "Nobody's Perfect" - I think that no matter how hard
someone tries to be perfect - they'll never have a perfect
mentality as long as their actions require surgery.

CP/M User.

You can get five free channels - four are Swedish public service and one is commercial with special license. As an owner of a TV set, everyone (are supposed to) pay a yearly license which covers the public service. You can get a digital TV box for around 500 SEK, free from subscription. If you want to subscribe, you can get the actual box for 1 SEK and monthly pay somewhere from 150 SEK and upwards depending on how many channels you want.

The biggest scam about digital TV is that every device needs its own box, or you need to buy a very expensive box that can handle more than one device at the same time. You switch channels on the digital box, not the TV. I'm not quite sure why it is done in this fashion, other than the manufacturers get to sell more hardware. In my world, a digital receiver should act like a miniature cable box, converting the digital channels you have rights to see into analog signals on a private cable net. Then you could connect all your TVs, VCRs and whatever to that box. Maybe they're scared that neighbours and apartment buildings would only get one box and then several families could share the same subscription? My brother has experimented with getting a couple of digital receivers, and set them up to output a RF signal from one channel each, to build a private cable net, but he has problems to find receivers that output a good RF signal.

In the summer cottage, my parents will install a digital receiver. We already have rather poor reception out there, and when they switch to digital, I've heard that either you get a crisp picture or nothing, there is no blurry, noisy inbetween. We'll see if the antenna w/ amplifier will do the task.

I think that no matter how hard someone tries to be perfect - they'll never have a perfect mentality as long as their actions require surgery.

Heh. Well said.

Back