• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you do at work/school?

CP/M User

Veteran Member
I'd thought I'd start up a general thread which describes who we are when we're are work or study.

Please respond cause I thought this would make a good collective thread & perhaps it could be built on in time.

For myself, I clearly have a good understanding of using computers, though I also have an interest in ecology & have found a great connection by incorporating technology with the outdoors - by collecting information & presenting it. All of this work has been whist studying - I figure it would be great to use/develop this though into the workplace.

Workwise - I've been mostly in short term jobs, which are great fun, though some development needs to occur in order really turn jobs on durning certain times of the year - seasons have a big impact on the work involved. But yeah, not bad working out in the bush - quite fascinating what you'd occur.

Otherwise since I'm quite interested in this field, it takes a little bit of time from me & is one of those fields where people are learning new stuff all the time. The funniest impression I have from this line of work is the short work space & how to make this more of a full-time ongoing type job. My biggest concern is finding work locally - truely I most interested actually make work from this.

So what do you lot do - doesn't matter what the job is & is okay to talk about what the job mean's to you, if you like it or not.

I presently work as a "Senior Procurement Analyst" for a worldwide staffing company. I'm also a freelance writer, mostly covering videogames and computers (primarily right now I'm writing a home videogame and computer history book for a major publisher, though I continue to write for print and online). I co-run Armchair Arcade, which will have a major re-launch soon. I'm into bodybuilding and have an extensive videogame and computer collection covering everything from the 70's through to the present day.

I have yet to find my ideal job. In fact I've been surprised where life has taken me after graduation with a BA in Communications. For the past 10 years, I've been mostly involved in business areas. Certainly my computing and technology has served me well in many ways (easily taking to any new technology or software), as has my ability to write (few have strong writing skills). Nevertheless, I'm continuing to pursue an exclusive working existence focused on videogames and computers. I've been surprised where I've come since I've been targeting such an idea since late 2003, and I expect great things with a little more elbow grease. For now, my main job pays the bills and supports my family, who always takes precedence over everything else... (I have another child on the way, with a beautiful 17 month old daughter already proving to be a handful...)

I've been doing software development in one way shape or form for the last 25 years or so. I got my first programming job while still in High School and worked my way through college and beyond doing software.

I've been with my current company the longest, by just a bit - almost 10 years.

I goto RedNeck's(I am one too, but not like the people I work for) houses and/or trailors and fix their computers.......nuff said....lame
Alls awhile going to college and running a computer museum. Truth be told, I post the most from school, and late night from home. I only sleep 4 hours a night. Trained myself to function 100% on 4 hours...lol

It's interesting to compare threads between Forums, it's wise to note that while everyone has an interest in computers, people's work doesn't necessarily revolve around computers all the time. But yeah, computers are a big thing now & regardless of wherever you work - you maybe using such a device. And of course there's people who are doing the more full-on jobs.

At the moment I think the computer based work is leading 2 to 1. But for how long? ;-)

If anyone is interesting in the other thread (which has a slightly different approach) though same intent can find it here.

But yeah, for myself my course will be finished by the end of the year & before that will have to look into some areas for which there maybe work or perhaps move onto a more advanced course.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Erik wrote:

> I've been doing software development in one way shape
> or form for the last 25 years or so. I got my first
> programming job while still in High School and worked
> my way through college and beyond doing software.

> I've been with my current company the longest, by
> just a bit - almost 10 years.

Yeah, to me it sounds like you were able to get into that type
of job at the right time. Not sure I maybe guessing, but
nowadays Software Development sounds more like course upon
course upon course to get anywhere?

To be honest I was a little silly trying to persue this cause
I just seemed like maths is the core to programming & of
course I lived a little denial by saying I was a little better
at Maths than what I was. Now I more than happy to approach
programming as a hobby rather than career.

How did you find getting into this field Erik, was it at all
difficult to get into?
From my point of view I think a few people were disappointed
when the Diploma of Technology course finished (when I
finished in 1998) & some who did want to do Programming felt
they had to do a specific Uni course to get anywhere - but
thought it's all a progession thing where you needed to be
familiar with the latest languages.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

alexkerhead wrote:

> I goto RedNeck's(I am one too, but not like the
> people I work for) houses and/or trailors and fix
> their computers.......nuff said....lame

Oh Dear, sounds like you're not enjoying it then? How do you
fix their computers, is it more of a replace this or that or
do you have a way of mending a dodgy Hard Disk, Floppy Disk,
or is the business something else which involves restoring
computers, backups, installations for instance. Sorry if I
sound too curious - you've got me hooked by not saying
much! ;-)

> Alls awhile going to college and running a computer
> museum. Truth be told, I post the most from school,
> and late night from home. I only sleep 4 hours a
> night. Trained myself to function 100% on 4
> hours...lol

How does the Computer museum hold up business wise - to me it
just sounds like a little somthing on the side. 4 hours sleep
doesn't sound good mate. If I did something like that I'd
probably use a whole day just sleeping.

CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
alexkerhead wrote:

> I goto RedNeck's(I am one too, but not like the
> people I work for) houses and/or trailors and fix
> their computers.......nuff said....lame

Oh Dear, sounds like you're not enjoying it then? How do you
fix their computers, is it more of a replace this or that or
do you have a way of mending a dodgy Hard Disk, Floppy Disk,
or is the business something else which involves restoring
computers, backups, installations for instance. Sorry if I
sound too curious - you've got me hooked by not saying
much! ;-)

> Alls awhile going to college and running a computer
> museum. Truth be told, I post the most from school,
> and late night from home. I only sleep 4 hours a
> night. Trained myself to function 100% on 4
> hours...lol

How does the Computer museum hold up business wise - to me it
just sounds like a little somthing on the side. 4 hours sleep
doesn't sound good mate. If I did something like that I'd
probably use a whole day just sleeping.

CP/M User.
The business if mainly just...If it is broke, find out why, and fix it. Charge for work.
I don't profit on the museum, what I meant was the time I spend running the website, and collecting the machines, I love em too much to make money off them.
I work 15-20 hours a week on customer jobs. and 10 hours a week fixing my site, and collecting old computers. And 15 hours a week in school. So a full time job worth of stuff..lol, luckily I enjoy old computers and school, so only the customer work is boring, but I have to pay for these vintage toys somehow. The other time is spent with my family, dog, and internet..lol
To work off of 4 hours sleep, you have to spend months tuning your body to adjust the energy better, and it helps I am on blood pressure meds that lower my heart rate...so my body burns calories slower.
My hobbies, I bowl, and mess with my old computers. I am a league bowler..
I just need to write an autobiography on my site, and just link it....maybe tommorrow night.

Bill_Loguidice wrote:

> I presently work as a "Senior Procurement Analyst"
> for a worldwide staffing company. I'm also a
> freelance writer, mostly covering videogames and
> computers (primarily right now I'm writing a home
> videogame and computer history book for a major
> publisher, though I continue to write for print and
> online). I co-run Armchair Arcade, which will have a
> major re-launch soon. I'm into bodybuilding and have
> an extensive videogame and computer collection
> covering everything from the 70's through to the
> present day.

Excellent.

> I have yet to find my ideal job. In fact I've been
> surprised where life has taken me after graduation
> with a BA in Communications. For the past 10 years,
> I've been mostly involved in business areas.
> Certainly my computing and technology has served me
> well in many ways (easily taking to any new
> technology or software), as has my ability to write
> (few have strong writing skills). Nevertheless, I'm
> continuing to pursue an exclusive working existence
> focused on videogames and computers. I've been
> surprised where I've come since I've been targeting
> such an idea since late 2003, and I expect great
> things with a little more elbow grease. For now, my
> main job pays the bills and supports my family, who
> always takes precedence over everything else... (I
> have another child on the way, with a beautiful 17
> month old daughter already proving to be a
> handful...)

Interesting you're saying that your still looking for most
ideal job. Some use to tell me that if they ended up writing
reviews for Games for some Magazine, then that would be their
ideal job - however I respect each to their own opinion, when
I think about it, that kind of job may become repetitive after
a while (correct me if I'm wrong - cause I haven't really
being in that field of work to really know). Intersting to
note that your on a high since 2003 & everything's going nice
& swiftly.
Just for the ideas thing, personally I get these ideas &
unfortunately may mention it to somebody else - in the
business side of things I feel the need to be very careful
about discussing ideas to others in case they get ripped off -
would people here say that you should be cautious in this
regard?
Personally though, I've found to have a slight advantage with
my computer expertese while studying. It's not all computer
relevent - but a lot of the work is & if it's being some kind
of promotional poster or something - I've done all kinds of
things presentation wise - the teachers can't believe what I
produce - I must admit though that prior to last year I was a
little rusty last year due to using the computer for a couple
of things, but it all seems to simply come back in time.

Business wise, myself I finished my studies at the end of 1998
& got some work mid 1999 which involved Mail Opening, a little
bit of Data Entry & mail sorting. This was a very short term 3
month job (originally it should have been 6 months - but the
amount of work done in a day was staggerning).
Fortunately this work lead to another job (with the same Govt
Body), started early 2000 & went all the way up til August
2001. This was perhaps the hardest form of work I stayed with
until my contract ceased (with some 300 other people) 2001.
This involved processing forms, making the occasional call to
clients & fixing up their enquiry's. All this was behind a
computer & to me felt somewhat repetitive. It was durning this
period I was able to save up - buy a decent car, perhaps
fortunate it didn't lead to full time, cause around Nov. 2002
I went back to my youthful self & seeking out possibilities of
careers out in the environment.

Along the way I've done some other work, things like Grounds
Maintenance which was good for when it lasted & got some work
last year doing more full on Bush work. I did a couple of
other things like Nursery hand work - though found it to be
too Physically demanding & was only there for a couple of
weeks to trial the work.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Hey, I can sleep for four hours a nite...when I take my sleeping pill...on the nights they choose to work. Normal for me is and has been my whole life, about two hours on most nights, with mebbe one or two nights a week that I don't sleep at all.

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

> Hey, I can sleep for four hours a nite...when I take
> my sleeping pill...on the nights they choose to work.
> Normal for me is and has been my whole life, about
> two hours on most nights, with mebbe one or two
> nights a week that I don't sleep at all.

Never have taken a sleeping pill - which is an archievement
I'm proud to have. However, I uptil last week I was having
trouble sleep wise by waking up around 4:50am & not being able
to get back to sleep. I think this was stress related (I went
to Hospital last Wednesday - or Tuesday for those a day
behind), much better now, but slowly recoverning.

A friend of mine suggested Counting Sheep, which works
occassionally, but what I found was better was counting from
1-10 very quickly & continously (so it becomes quickly
repetitive). I think this works a bit better than counting "1
sheep, 2 sheep, 3 sheep, etc" & cause you're doing it fast it
works well at blocking out whatever is on the mind.

CP/M User.

I think most of you have figured out my line of work already, at least if you've read my thread in the Collections forum.

I'm not only in charge of reclamation and refurbishment, but I was immediately saddled with the co-responsibility (along with eBay guy) of administering all of the office computers (which are Dells made from spare parts, not one actually paid for new), the main server (got root, well, Administrator password on it anyways), and the DSL modem/router (so they can blame us instead of crappy Verizon for any problems). I also have the pleasure of building the company's new servers and testing machines (using Netfinity (xSeries), eServer, and Poweredge boxes).

When I arrived to work at the warehouse, the network was a hopeless spaghetti tangle mess with 10BaseT hubs all over the place and about a half-mile of CAT5 going nowhere. A week or so after my supervisor quit to work for Geek Squad (making $1/hour more...), eBay guy and I single-handedly (double-handedly?) rewired the entire network, routed and crimped the cables ourselves, and reduced the LAN components to a single 26-port 10/100 switch (2 of the ports are gigabit!). Downtime for personnel was 5 or 10 minutes.

Then about a month later I realised that although we had an MSDN subscription, with a big fat folder of DVDs full of ISOs for everything Microsoft makes now, we were using HACKED copies of Windows XP Professional with fake serials and cracked activation DLLs on *every* office and warehouse computer. The only legitimate one was the original server! So I took it upon myself to use our legitimate copy of Windows 2000 on all of the company's PCs...this involved making a master hard drive image, copying it to ten others and standardising the hardware in all of the Dells to match. Needless to say, it was a bit more efficient than crashy XP with unlimited permissions. All the computers really need to do is act as an MS Terminal Server client for Remote Desktop work.

So far I've received nothing from the company besides my mandatory 3-month $0.25 raise from the California minimum wage of $6.75. Pearls before swine, I guess.

In fact, on top of all this garbage, it looks like I'll be setting up the company's MS Exchange server when we migrate from off-site e-mail to on-site. At least it'll be on one of the nifty boxes I've built them - either the Netfinity with 15 drives in 3 channels (RAID5'ed) or maybe the xSeries, with 6GB of RAM...I might even be able to put in a purchase request for the 3 additional Xeon 700 processors that machine needs...I practically had to beg for a $200 UPS, even though the power went out every day for about two months! We lose it every week or so now, and it's mostly to them tinkering with the new panel and not so much the breakers overheating. Last week in fact they pulled the ground wire for the upstairs box (where I work) and I lost a UPS and a surge suppressor. Blammo.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to my second interview with a local elementary school district for Artist-in-residence, or music teacher, which pays $18/hour, and only 30 hours per week, 9 to 3, instead of 40 hours per week, 7 to 3:30 (I only get a 1/2 hour lunch here). My best bud from college choir has the job currently and recommended me, so I'm hoping for the best.

I used to design burgalur alarms for black and decker but now I work for unisys and erase old files all day

DOS-Master wrote:

> I used to design burgalur alarms for black and decker
> but now I work for unisys and erase old files all day

As well as stop by & post many posts within the day! My Gawd!

CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
DOS-Master wrote:

> I used to design burgalur alarms for black and decker
> but now I work for unisys and erase old files all day

As well as stop by & post many posts within the day! My Gawd!

CP/M User.

hey buddy ever heard of different time zones. i've been posting all NIGHT besides it doesn't take much energy erasing data and naming files and placing them in folders

Last edited:
DOS-Master just did what I often do when I come to a new forum; go through most of the old threads to see if there is something interesting to say and post if there is. Most people get a bit annoyed to "bump" up old threads. I don't understand that attitude, as long as it is on topic and the thread previously contained false information or questions not answered.

carlsson said:
DOS-Master just did what I often do when I come to a new forum; go through most of the old threads to see if there is something interesting to say and post if there is.

Exactly.
carlsson said:
Most people get a bit annoyed to "bump" up old threads. I don't understand that attitude, as long as it is on topic and the thread previously contained false information or questions not answered.

I hope it's not most. I can see some people maybe being annoyed, but in general what's the difference? We've had some interesting discussions in the past and there's no reason for most of them to be forgotten, especially since we've got a whole bunch of new members onboard now, right? There's almost always something to add.

It's not like anyone's pulled up a 2 year old "for sale" message and asked to buy the item for $1! :D

Back