• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaboom!

Vlad

Dang, what was up with that guy? Most of them didn't even have a message, rather a long string of product codes. Who ever said it was right though, they all did disappear in the end. We've had spammers, but wow.

How come no one used the "Report This Post" button on anyone of those??

-VK

vlad said:
How come no one used the "Report This Post" button on anyone of those??
The rest of us are very timid, and guessed it was so obvious that either of the mods would clear those threads as soon as they found it? I know I would've if it was on a forum I'm modding.

Btw, the messages looked like search keywords, so once the forum was nicely indexed, search spiders would find his messages and click the link to find out more.

Uhm.. it took me 5 minutes, but now I've discovered the 'Report bad post' button.

Not my clearest day today it seems. (Maybe its all the packaging chips throughout my house :p)

LOL, they'll drive ya nuts!
We call em packing peanuts over here, and man are they annoying, my floor is covered in the, I wish someone would outlaw them...lol
I use newspaper to wrap and pack..
Packing peanuts stick to my butt, and I goto work or school with em on me..lol, little things have a lot of static grip.

Anyway, on topic.
We need to program a bot to spam the spammers..

I'm responsible for Jorg's packing chips. I don't know if balls of paper provide the same shock absorbation, but I'm a bit scared about the corners of the package had come off. Yes, it was rather big (50x50x55 cm) but the package should survive better. There wasn't a much smaller size I could've choosen. Hopefully Jorg can post some pictures of the package. I'm happy the contents arrived in decent, working condition at least.

I'm speechless and sitting here with my mouth agape. What did they do to the box? Identical ones delieved via company DPD to Germany appear to have arrived in a better condition. I think it is time to pray to the Gods of Commodore for the PET itself was not smashed beyond belief, as it looks like the package was form-pressed to the contents.

For the record, it is 3 mm cardboard in the box. Does there exist even thicker boxes, or will bad mail handling not matter how thick the box is?

I've seen both UPS and FedEx do worse.

I always try to double-box when I can. I never, ever put peanuts in the same box as electronics unless they are sealed in bags.

Styrofoam Peanuts are pure evil.

Because of the static? I put bubble wrap over the keyboard to prevent bits of packing chips to get inside the keyboard. These particular chips are marketed as:

* No CFC (freon), no chloride, non-toxic
* Hygienic, no bacteria
* Does not affect the groundwater
* Recyclable and anti-static

AT least the packing did it's Job, I remember this horrible nightmare as an E-bay celler, about 30 layers of bubblewrap to guess..........

ebay1.jpg

When I GOT that computer, it came in a normal cardboard box that was literally falling apart, filled with foampeanuts, and held together with 2 zip-ties, and it survived, yet I put it in a double box with a million layers of bubble wrap and it did not make it without losing all it's parts in the process. Damn USPS.

carlsson said:
Because of the static? I put bubble wrap over the keyboard to prevent bits of packing chips to get inside the keyboard. These particular chips are marketed as:

* No CFC (freon), no chloride, non-toxic
* Hygienic, no bacteria
* Does not affect the groundwater
* Recyclable and anti-static

I think the antistatic was a good one. The cover helped to keep them out of keyboard, but somehow the inside was, well, completely filled ;)

I spend quite some time with pliers to get them from under the motherboard and monitor print, to be honest I found it a pretty funny job. I just came home from Washington with a jetlag and 5 hours of delay (sitting on the runway 4 hours, bad weather) and had to stay awake- so it was good to have something to do, especially when you don't need to think while doing it :D

atari2600a said:
Hey Erik, do you have any pictures of that PET 2001 you said got destroyed during Shipping uploaded to your server?

:{ not sure if want to see that ;)

atari2600a said:
Hey Erik, do you have any pictures of that PET 2001 you said got destroyed during Shipping uploaded to your server?

I do now. Notice how the case is shifted and bent. Anyone who knows these Pet systems knows that they were built like tanks. This one took one hell of a beating.

Unfortunately I only got about 1/3 of the cost back for it even though it was fully insured because the shipper went bankrupt right after he destroyed this unit and he was actually self insured.

Obviously it's a good parts machine. I might be able to bend it all back together, but it's gonna take some finesse - once I get it out of storage.

The monitor survived but a lot of the internals, from what I can see (the case won't open as bent as it is) are beat up.

petfronttop.jpg

petback.jpg

petback.jpg

petbackcorner2.jpg

petfrontside.jpg

petfrontsidecorner.jpg

Last edited:
atari2600a said:
Man, that's not as bad as you previously told me via email. Willing to trade it?

Maybe. Let me get it out of storage first. . . ;)

Jorg said:
the inside was, well, completely filled
Hm. Good to know. I can't recall how much of air vents were in the machine, but one of the bottom screws were missing, so if the package was handled roughly (which your pictures indicate), it is possible that the case partly opened and chips got inside in that way.

I'm a newbie in shipping, so for every mistake, I try to learn something new. Perhaps the openings on the back side should be covered with plastic too, if I would keep using chips as shock absorbing material. Of course I could get rolls of bubble wrap and cover the whole item with first and add chips on top of that.

vlad wrote:

> Dang, what was up with that guy? Most of them didn't
> even have a message, rather a long string of product
> codes. Who ever said it was right though, they all
> did disappear in the end. We've had spammers, but
> wow.

I said something about cleaning up all this mess in that long
thread.

I also started a little topic about how can you find out who
the companies are which do this & convincing them it's not
worth it - then perhaps suggest other ways they can spend
their money.