• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Neat dumpster find

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I found an old joystick, a Kraft KC3 thrown away behind my favorite thrift store.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rollmeupa20/detail?.dir=d87a&.dnm=e9b1scd.jpg&.src=ph

It *looks* vintage. I dunno if it meets the 10 year rule, can anyone clarify if it does?

It was along with a bunch of printers and monitors that I didn't mess with. Neither were anything that I didn't already have or had nightmares about. I did get a whole bunch of cables and adapters, which is pretty cool.

Also, this may be the wrong place to ask, but can it be used on an Atari 2600 or 7800? Looking for a diagram now...

Nathan

/edit I forgot to add, it seems to work perfectly.

Last edited:
I remember those, that was probably made somewhere abouts 1988-1993, I recall seeing one in a videogame store around 1991ish, it was pretty cool, they had a whole PC joystick selection across the top row of the shelves, all out for people to look at and mess with.

My family purchased a slightly older-looking Kraft joystick with the same setup back in 1990. It had a 15-pin for PC and 9-pin for Atari (or was it Apple ][?) and a switch to change compatibility modes.

I ran across your exact model just last year when I was shooting the breeze in PC Club - some local yokel sold it to me very cheaply to afford a game at the EB games next door...

I have one which is exactly the same from your pic, and it has a 9pinM and a 15pinM connector on the connecting cable and a switch that has IBM PC labelled on 1 side and Apple IIe on the other. I believed I used it on a PC but can't remember trying it with an Apple. While I have several Apple IIs I have never used a joystick with one and I believe you need a card for that. Unless the supply of plentiful Atari joysticks has changed why would you care. I was more excited that it could be used with a IIe and is the only IIe joystick I have and therefore cherish.

Lawrence

Micom 2000 said:
Unless the supply of plentiful Atari joysticks has changed why would you care. I was more excited that it could be used with a IIe and is the only IIe joystick I have and therefore cherish.

Lawrence

Normally I wouldn't care, but the plentiful supply is nowhere near El Paso. Atari stuff around here is rarer than hen's teeth and Most of what I have came from somewhere else via the trickle-down effect or I had it shipped here. That's the real reason I was asking about it. That and both the two original 2600 controllers I have and the one 7800 controller all tested not so good on the FB2:(. I was needing an alternative. Back to saving tips again for frikkin ebay.

NathanAllan said:
Normally I wouldn't care, but the plentiful supply is nowhere near El Paso. Atari stuff around here is rarer than hen's teeth and Most of what I have came from somewhere else via the trickle-down effect or I had it shipped here. That's the real reason I was asking about it. That and both the two original 2600 controllers I have and the one 7800 controller all tested not so good on the FB2:(. I was needing an alternative. Back to saving tips again for frikkin ebay.

Hey Nathan,

if you need a controller for a 2600, Sega Genesis/Megadrive game pads work on the 2600.

Yeah, it spoils the origionality but....it's better than nothing.

-m

Joysticks for most 8-bit systems work. Brands like Spectravideo QuickShot, Wico, Suncom Tac-2 and Slik Stik and multitudes more. I can see if the PC joystick in question was very comfortable to use, that you'd like to use it as an old-fashioned digital joystick, but it shouldn't be too hard to come across any suitable joysticks. Some models were more reliable and responsible than others though.

I happened upon an Atari joystick with a wireless antenna - I don't have the receiver part that I'd assume plugs into the regular joystick port but I thought it was pretty cool that they had wireless gaming controllers 20 years ago.

Those are not so rare. I see them all the time. I even gave one away to get it out of my sight. Mine was still in the box, too. It was for 2 different computers or something.

Back