• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

SGI Iris Indigo workstation - complete

norami

SGI Iris Indigo
Complete workstation - photos upon request
Indago R4000 100MHz
96MB RAM
I/O
3 3 1/2" Bays
2 Serial RS422 (38.4 k baud)
1 Bidirectional Parallel
5 Audio I/0 Connectors
1 Ethernet
2 GIO-32 Slots
SCSI channel
OS installed on original 426MB Scsi fixed disk
Keyboard
Mouse
19-inch tri-color monitor
There is also LARGE box of original manuals

This workstation needs UNIX person
More info about it at http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/indigo.html
The weight listed is about 72 lbs for monitor and 24 lbs for the CPU box + large keyboard & mouse. I would estimate at 130 lbs with packaging.

Our shipping zip code is 95661.

Asking $150 - Will negotiate price IF you can persuade me :)
Contact directly to arrange payment.

If buyer located in Northern CA, might consider delivering because as salesperson I drive a lot.

IF cannot find a home it will go to recycler.

John O

Hi,

Not to get your hopes up but I will let others have a crack at this system. However, if you get no takers and you are considering the recycler, contact me and I will likely take it from you.

Matt

No offense, but doesn't that bug the sh!t outta ya when people do that? It's almost as if they're holding the poor, innocent computer hostage or sum'n! (Send me money, or I'll eat this puppy in 30 dayz)! Screw 'em! If they really were interested in finding thier equipment a good home, they would not:

a). Ask an outrageous price, and
b). Threaten to destroy it if it isn't worth as much as they hoped, and
3). Fail to consider/accept reasonable offers, including adoption for shipping cost, etc.

I dunno, mebbe it's just me...(hmmmn, I wonder what dog gumbo would taste like)...???...

--T

Last edited:
Honestly, if I had $300 kicking around to buy and ship the machine, a check would be on its way. If I was local, most assuredly I would have already picked it up. Funds shortage is what is preventing me at this exact moment from buying. Bear in mind it is also a toy for me to play with but would make a nice addition. The monitor is the big issue for me, not the system itself. I've had monitors that large destroyed in shipment and I know how difficult it is to ship them.

I've already saved hardware from the recycling center (read: dump). A functional Iris is worth saving in my opinion. If the option is save it or dump, I'll try to save it. However, there are hopefully others who are closer or local who would like one and it is only fair to give them the option to have at it. I have several functional Unix workstations. There may be a budding SGI collector out there who is after their first one and it is only fair to let them have a shot at it first.

Matt

I think quite a few people these days do not want to spend the time and effort waiting for somebody to pick something up or gathering the shipping materials and heading to the UPS store during business hours if they are not making any money on the item.

So either you pay for the items with expensive shipping or they just trash it.
As far as I am concerned if the item is not rare then go ahead and trash it, there will be more around. If the item is rare then more then likely somebody will pay enough to get it shipped or picked up (either on a forum or ebay).

People who want large sums of cash for an item tend to not throw it away even if they say they will.

I ran into dozens of 13W3 Sun & SGI monitors at work...you think people would be interested in those still?

I am. The problem with them is size. If they are being shipped, they can be a real bear. If they are being sold local, no big deal but a lot of people don't want the hassle in shipping the big monitors. Even at $10 or $20, a 19 or 21 inch monitor can easily cost $80+ in shipping via UPS ground.

It's unfortunate in a way. A proper collection should have all the original hardware including the monitor. But that requires a fair bit of space too.

Matt

Back