• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How many WORKING computers do you have?

How many WORKING computers do I have?

286 are in fine working condition, of the 312 computers i own, most of them are apple computers
( http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=4649 )

the 26 not working ... :
- 16 working fine with external HD
- 6 : missing a (good) power supply, if i ad a power supply they are working
- 4 : dead, apple II clone CYE-AII-3, macintosh classic II & 2 quadra 650

i have a detailled database, with a lot of info and the latest condition of eatch item

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
Wow!
where do you keep them all?? thats dedication.

Since I last posted mine, loads more have been through my hands but I think I actually have less than before!

BBC Micro B
Commodore 64
Spectrum 128
Samsung 8088 XT
Sharp 7200
Viglen 486 lapptop
NES
Megadrive
A chopped up PIII Optiplex GX150 with odd RAM and extra bits taken away and put back, not in a case but lives in my cupboard.

On its way to functioning, but still not completely is my Samsung 8088 XT

dearly departed;
packard Bell Imedia 1gb RAM, 3.2ghz P4 (getting repaired this christmas! woo!)
Various 486's, transformed into frankensteins monsters of the digital world or consigned to the bits box
My beloved Toshiba T3100 (I miss this one the most)
Macintosh Classic (A great little doohickey, interesting bits installed but unfortunately the ADB circuity seems to have gone kaput as neither keyboard or mouse work anymore, even when interchanged.)

I have some incarnation of a Pizza Box mac on its way to me soon, alsong with another generic PC about 6 yrs old, not much else known.

I think I got the basics covered, at least on my budget anyhoo.

Heh. Is a Macintosh without a hard disk considered "not working"? Isn't there any software that you can run entirely off floppies? For that matter, I only have one power supply to share between the two C64 and one VIC-20, but despite that I wouldn't categorize the computer as faulty, perhaps incomplete.

Those of you who own 50+ (or in Bill's case 200+) different systems, do you mention that when foreign people from time to time asks the question "so, how many computers do you have at home"? I get that question reasonably often, and I'm barely making 10 if I count spare machines. Yet people roll their eyes.

No doubt. No matter what level of collector you are, it's not as acceptable to the outside world as something like stamps or coins or even comics are. For some reason a lot of people have trouble wrapping themselves around the concept of collecting and enjoying this stuff.

Or cars for that matter, both exclusive ones and skunks on wheels. A computer is something you use for 3-5 years and then throw away, or sell if you can find a buyer.

The follow-up question when I mention that I own a couple of 15-20 year old computers is "what do you use them for?". As you wrote, just collecting a computer because you like the hobby isn't a typical behavior. Perhaps the problem is that a computer can be used for something, unlike comic books or stamps (well, except for using it as postage). Anyone who collects old furniture probably gets the same follow-up question: "do you ever sit in all those sofas you store in the basement?" :)

The only Tandy Cassette recorders I could find that were in good shape came with 64K CoCo. I wanted a CCR-82 but the first batch I purchased only had a CCR-81 so ended up forking out more money for a CCR-82. I'll soon have 2 64K Cocos, should be fun. There was a really nice CCR-82 but I got overconfident and "the snipers" got me :shock: Sure makes you mad when that happens.

Or cars for that matter, both exclusive ones and skunks on wheels. A computer is something you use for 3-5 years and then throw away, or sell if you can find a buyer.

The follow-up question when I mention that I own a couple of 15-20 year old computers is "what do you use them for?". As you wrote, just collecting a computer because you like the hobby isn't a typical behavior. Perhaps the problem is that a computer can be used for something, unlike comic books or stamps (well, except for using it as postage). Anyone who collects old furniture probably gets the same follow-up question: "do you ever sit in all those sofas you store in the basement?" :)

I'm a big believer in computers actually being USED rather than just displayed, as I commented in this recent blog post: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/929

I've got 9+ working computers.
7 working disk drives.
100 working cards.
all not working: 1 card, one chip, and a broken pin on a cable I got.
I've got some more computers, and sold some that I already had.
And I've got a lot more too!

286 are in fine working condition, of the 312 computers i own, most of them are apple computers
( http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ead.php?t=4649 )

the 26 not working ... :
- 16 working fine with external HD
- 6 : missing a (good) power supply, if i ad a power supply they are working
- 4 : dead, apple II clone CYE-AII-3, macintosh classic II & 2 quadra 650

i have a detailled database, with a lot of info and the latest condition of eatch item

That's Incredible! You got a wear house In your backyard?

how the... what the.... omg! some of you have SO many computers. i saw one post saying over 300 wow.

i've got... lemme think...

9 working pentium or better computers (including two laptops, one is a toshiba satellite w/ 300 mhz pentium, the other is a 750 mhz sony vaio)

i've got a 486, two 386's, two 286's, an 8088, and a (just got it) 8086.

then i have lots of working motherboards and cards/peripherals stored away in boxes in the basement that i could easily make more working computers from.

i've got a few busted motherboards that i should probably just throw out but can't bring myself to do it.

i've also got that osborne that i just posted pics of in another thread in this subforum.

that's about it.

Oh! I'm an idiot! I was thinking VINTAGE computers. In all I have 13 computers.
Two HP media center (brand new), A Pavilion laptop and an IBM Aptiva tower. (somewhat vintage)
Plus all my apple II's.

It's been quite a while since I attempted to count my 'permanent' collection (not counting the several that are just passing thru my hands, on thier way to a better home). I do tend not to collect anything I'm not interested in playing with though. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm in the >200 range, athough several of those might not meet the strictest criteria for 'vintage' machines.

--T

Not too many

Not too many

Pentium 3-850 mhz (Win2k/Ubuntu Linux)
Pentium 3-933 mhz (Win2k/Freespire)
Blue & White G3/300 (MacOS 10.3.9)
Quadra 605 (MacOS 8.1)
PowerMac 9600/300 (MacOS 9.1)
PowerMac 6100/66 with G3/245 (MacOS 9.04)
Compaq iPaq desktop P3-1ghz (Win2k)
Gateway mini-computer Celeron 766mhz (Win2k)
Dell Dimension XPS P3-550 mhz (Win2k, itunes server)

Some are at my office being used for testing software, others are being prepped to be donated.

I don't have nearly as many as I used to, but since I was married 6 years ago I have been trying to keep the count down to a reasonable level.

Let's see... working from the desk out...

1 no name AMD Athlon 1100, xp machine

1 no name AMD K6/3-500, win 98 (mommas...)

1 Casio BE-300 (running ppx lite xpod)

1 Visor 8mb ram grey scale, grey color, weird acting touch screen

1 Amiga 2000 (8megs ram, scsi hd around 100 mb)

1 Amiga 2000 (6 megs ram, scsi hd around 170 mb)

1 compaq aero 4/25 contura laptop 3.11/6.22 dead battery, plugs in

1 ncr 486/33 gray scale laptop dead battery, plugs in 3.11/6.22

1 Panasonic Toughbook Cf-47 P3-450 XP (so tough, it's on it's second hard drive and 3rd wireless card... getting ready for #4 soon)
Zenith laptop (286?) has a 3-1/2" drive and a hard drive, never got it to go too far... but it does boot up.

1 Zenith Datasystems Portable 8088, with a 20 mb hard drive that runs and has microsoft word on it... and it works... been very tempted to buy a very late model machine and stuff in it, and figure out a display replacement for the 7" screen, and take that thing down to the game shows... just to freak the kiddies.

1 Casio handheld computer (tandy handheld and sharp are same) with printer and cassette interface 1.5kb ram!

1 Amiga 500 with a530 Viper powerboard (68030/33 mhz) 9 megs ram, 1.2 gig hd... Mom's old machine... she used it on the internet until she went to DSL.

1 Amiga 500 bone stock.

Dead but hopefully soon resurrected, Amiga 4000/040 25mhz, 18 mg ram, 1.2 gig hd, cd rom. Has 2 dead chips on it (I have the replacements) been waiting for my friend who does SMD work to get back from middle east, they are home now, so I gotta get over there and beg the favor.

Another A500 cannibalized for parts

The newest pair to show up are the Epson tablet pc. 486/dx2 50 waiting on a hard drive
And the Compaq hpc (wince 1.0 works)

Upstairs, I have a 386 NEC machine, running win 3.1 and 6.22.

Amiga 1000 oops sold
C-64 breadbox, oops gave away to good kid.
Mohawk Data systems 10mb frame with 2 workstations dead and torn apart a long time ago... sorry
had a 100 lx (think I threw it away, it was dead broken badly) and a DaVinci (the early one, that got them in trouble with palm)

I know I'm forgetting some stuff... but that covers most of it.

edit: remembered one "vintage" one.... the PlayStation-2! :)

I'm starting to realize just how much hardware I have. Most of it isn't truly vintage though.

Here's the list:

Modern PC:

Athlon XP 2800+, 2GB RAM, 250GB, nVidia GeForce Ti4400 TV capture (my primary workstation)
Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, 80GB (dual boot Linux and Win2KPro), nVidia GeForceFX 5700 Ultra, SB Live (my gaming box)
Compaq Presaio 2500 laptop, P4 2.2Ghz, 768MB RAM, 30GB (my portable Linux box, used heavily)
Athlon 1.6Ghz, 384MB, 18GB+40GB+180GB RAID (5 live x 36GB, 1 hot spare) - this is my network support machine

Apple:

Blue and White G3/400Mhz, 896MB RAM, 20GB, OS X (my Mac play box)
Beige G3/266 Tower (parts box but functional, no OS)
Beige G3/266 Desktop (functional, no OS)

Sun:

Sun Enterprise E450, 4x400Mhz UltraSPARC, 2GB RAM, 8x18GB RAID, Creator3D, triple redundant PSUs (this is the biggest box I own)
Sun Ultra2, 2x200Mhz UltraSPARC, 1.5GB RAM, 2x9GB, Creator3D
Sun Ultra 10, 1x440Mhz UltraSPARC, 512MB, 1x9GB, Elite3D-M3
3 x SPARCstation 10MP (various configurations, all dual processor)
1 x SPARCstation 5 (chassis only but I have enough parts to restore it)

Silicon Graphics:

Personal Iris 4D/20 workstation, 32MB RAM, 300MB, Turbo Graphics
Personal Iris 4D/35TG workstation, 32MB RAM, 440MB, Turbo Graphics
Professional Iris 4D/80 deskside (operational, full inventory not done yet)
Indigo workstation, 150Mhz R4400, 192MB RAM, 4GB storage, 24-bit Express graphics (2GEs)
Indigo workstation, 100Mhz R4000, 96MB RAM, 1GB storage, 8-bit Express graphics (1GE) - sale pending on this
4 Indigo2 IMPACT workstations - R10K 200Mhz, various memory and drive mixes, all equipped with SolidIMPACT graphics
1 Indigo2, 250Mhz R4400, 384MB RAM, 9GB, 24-but Extreme Graphics (8GEs)
1 Indigo2 IMPACT, 250Mhz R4400, 384MB, 4GB, SolidIMPACT graphics
1 Indy, 200Mhz R4600, 128MB RAM, 4.5GB, 8-bit Entry level graphics
2 O2s, 1 R10K, 1 R7K, 256MB RAM, 9GB, audio/video option
2 Octanes - 2x200Mhz R10K, 2GB RAM, 36GB, 1 with MXE graphics, 1 with SI+T graphics.

And my pride and joy...

SGI Onyx1 Deskside - 2GB RAM, 22GB, RealityEngine2, 1 RM5, 1DG2, 1IO4 with 21 inch monitor and original mouse/keyboard.

Vintage:

Tandy 1500HD laptop (fully operational with FreeDOS on it)

Pending pick-up:

PDP-11 (my choice of four units)
Digital VAXstation 3100
NeXTstation slabs (boxes only)
IBM RS/6000 43P

Matt

I just picked up another free 486 today, a Digital Venturis 433SX complete with matching monitor, keyboard and mouse. I swapped the SX/33 chip to a DX2/66, and upgraded the memory from 12MB to 20MB and it's quite a nice little machine :)

Another 486 is the last thing I need, but this one was going to be thrown away if nobody had taken it by the weekend.

Last edited:
I just picked up another free 486 today, a Digital Venturis 433SX complete with matching monitor, keyboard and mouse. I swapped the SX/33 chip to a DX2/66, and upgraded the memory from 12MB to 20MB and it's quite a nice little machine :)

Another 486 is the last thing I need, but this one was going to be thrown away if nobody had taken it by the weekend.

nice find! ah, dont you get such a great feeling from adopting abandoned/abused computers? :)

thats like when i rescued that 486 off of somebody's curb for trash pick up. the machine and i are quite fond of each other now. that baby came with a DX4/100 and 64 MB of RAM!

thats like when i rescued that 486 off of somebody's curb for trash pick up. the machine and i are quite fond of each other now. that baby came with a DX4/100 and 64 MB of RAM!

That is a very good find! Most of the 486's I find are either dead, or turn out to be SX's :p

I do have an "ultimate" 486 planned, I am going to put it together soon. It has a 486 mainboard with PCI and ISA slots, 2MB PCI graphics card, SB16, 800MB hard drive and 32MB memory. I thought that any bigger memory or larger hard drive is kinda wasted on a 486, and I want to keep it 486-ish ;) Undecided if to put in an Intel DX4-100 or the AMD DX4-120 I have.

That is a very good find! Most of the 486's I find are either dead, or turn out to be SX's :p

I do have an "ultimate" 486 planned, I am going to put it together soon. It has a 486 mainboard with PCI and ISA slots, 2MB PCI graphics card, SB16, 800MB hard drive and 32MB memory. I thought that any bigger memory or larger hard drive is kinda wasted on a 486, and I want to keep it 486-ish ;) Undecided if to put in an Intel DX4-100 or the AMD DX4-120 I have.

I might have a cyrix 5x86 somewhere ;)

Back