• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Price Guide

I tried my hand at making a "Vintage PC Bluebook" awhile back covering just about any PC I came across, and comparing it to similar ones on E-bay and seeing howmuch they went for. However, due to the large number of white-boxes, home assembled, and so fourth computers, I gave up after awhile after taking on a NUMBEr of computers both name brand and white box.

I would think that $50.00 - 150.00 is a good price for a K-10, depending on condition, accessories, etc. I certainly wouldn't ask less for one in good shape (although I did recently give away a basket-case that needed several parts).

--T

There is also a recently published (July, 2006) book dedicated to vintage laptops of the 1980 - 89 era. I haven't seen it yet, but I have drooled over it a couple of times.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Lapto...ef=sr_1_8/102-8314786-0523324?ie=UTF8&s=books

--T

I have that book. It's okay for a general overview but it stinks as a real guide such as Mike's book. The thing is, the laptop book's author isn't a collector like you and me; he's just a guy who likes to make lists of things. A majority of the data for each computer in his book are just one-paragraph blurbs copied from elsewhere and barely even changed. You're better off just using the "museum" feature of a site like www.old-computers.com for reference data.

By the way, that post of mine wasn't a critisism of you, T. Lord knows you've helped many of us on the VCF, including myself. What I'm trying to say is that VCF also distorts the value estimation since things come up here for ridiculously low cost or free. As a result some of the younger members can be shocked when they get a valid quote. For this reason I prefer selling my stuff on EPay. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but it tends to balance out.

Lawrence

There's also a book called "A Collector's Guide to Personal Computers and Pocket Calculators" by Thomas F. Haddock. It's somewhat older -- from 1993 -- but still worth picking up. I got a used copy via Bookfinder.com for a few bucks. Don't the title fool you; the focus is computers.

There's also a book called "A Collector's Guide to Personal Computers and Pocket Calculators" by Thomas F. Haddock. It's somewhat older -- from 1993 -- but still worth picking up. I got a used copy via Bookfinder.com for a few bucks. Don't the title fool you; the focus is computers.

I've got both Dr. Haddock's and Mr. Wilson's books. They're both pretty good guides for the main stream stuff. But if you get into some of the more unusual items, brother, you're on your own.

Like it's been said earlier, ebay isn't much help either. Prices fluctuate up and down and all around like a roller coaster. One T100 will sell for $50 and another IDENTICAL unit will sell 10 minutes later for $100+!

Then again, an EXTREMELY rare item can be had for $0.99.

Basically I think it comes down to if you think something is worth a given amount, it is, until you try to sell it! Then all bets are off.

Curtis

Drifting again

Drifting again

After checking my mail today , I see a notice PCM will no longer carry 3.5 floppy drives after the present stock is gone .. Do you suppose its time to start hoarding these little jewels and helping to get the price up on the E-bay.

The PC World being talked about is a computer store chain in London, England, who are just trying to get some publicity.. In this thread, Athana is talked about which still makes reel-to-reel tape and 8" floppy diskettes! So I do not think there will be a shortage any time soon... :)

Cheers,

80sFreak

Interesting point:

Interestingly, software giant Microsoft seems to be keeping the flame alight for the floppy. Its newly-released operating system Vista still pays homage to it by continuing to use a floppy disk as the icon for saving a document in Microsoft Word 2007.

I suppose a hard disk isn't as aestethic, and a CD icon will look like Word can only burn documents directly to CD-R. USB sticks come in many different styles. Perhaps floppy disks will live on in our memories for many years to come, even if they don't exist in the flesh.

Out of the computer supermarkets I've seen so far, I found them to be among the better ones, both when it comes to selection, pricing and to lesser degree staff skills. Of course, a smaller size computer store has even more qualified personel, and mail order is cheaper, but from my experience, it could be worse.

I purchased my Commodore 64 in near-mint condition for $12.82 at a thrift store, and I bought a Tandy 102 for $13.50 minus shipping on eBay.

I have a Samsung SD-700, working perfectly, original keyboard, original box. To some, it's a piece of old junk, to others, it would be the crowning jewel of their collection.

There is no logic and there are no "benchmark" prices. It's worth whatever the buyer, at the moment, is willing to pay for it.

I found that out on e-bay and that's why I went to my own non-ebay online store. I set what I think is a reasonable price and it is either bought or not.

Just my view on the matter

1994 Magitronic TS34X

1994 Magitronic TS34X

I've got a 1994 Magitronic TS34X laptop and I'm curious if it would be worth anything. If so, any ideas as to how much? I know it all depends on what someone's willing to pay, but I didn't want to get rid of it without trying to find out.

CoCo III made from precious metals

CoCo III made from precious metals

I don't know maybe it's just me or maybe this CoCo III that just sold on eBay for a whoppin' $265. is a bit on the high side. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350066324671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

As I recall the CoCo III is cooler than my CoCo II with 64k - but over $250. worth?
I paid $10.50, I believe it was for my pristine condition CoCo II on eBay. I had a CoCo III years back but gave it away. If I'd have known it must be made from precious metals, I'd have kept her. :eek:

Perhaps people just get warped up in the moment.

When I read the post I expected it as being pristine but also with a disk-drive interface and some of the many modifications with hard disk and including OS9.

Wow ! I guess I'd better put on priority finishing my adding a second FD to my FD 502.
I also have some other cartridges besides the FD cartridge as well as OS9 and joysticks.
At that price I could put a $400 reserve on my whole Coco 3 package, with no reticence.

I think some of the attraction was all the manuals in the original packaging. Newbies with cash to spare.

Lawrence

The CoCo 3's are machines in my posession I try NOT to unload.
I have probably a half dozen CC3's, all but 1 are 512kb, 2-3 multipacks, a few of the speech/sound, modem, and serial cartridges, and stacks of books, manuals, disks. Probably have at LEAST a half dozen or so FD501 and 502 drives, plus no-name 3rd party FDD setups, even to dual 720kb 5.25" (mitsu M4853), 2 complete burke and Burke XT/RTC MDM controllers with drives. Also have some newer stuff, like Cloud 9's TC^3 SCSI, SuperIDE, 2-3 CM-8 monitors, etc...

Other stuff I'll buy and sell all day - CoCo stuff I only keep :)

T

Whoa ! It's been a long time since I checked my CoCos out. I have 2 CoCo 2s and a grey CoCo 1 as well as the CoCo 3. I think I put things on hold waiting to figure out the plugs for adding the second FD to the 502. I can't even remember what I hooked up the CoCos to. Probably a TV. Altho "Cloud Nine" has done amazing things for CoCo and OS9 is a serious operating system, it always seemed lame that they used the cartridge hookup for FDs and perhaps I didn't understand the audio/video and RF RCA plug ports. I would have expected a 3rd RCA plug as in 8-bit Ataris and Commodores. Even the joystick port connections wasn't standard 9-pin nor was the serial connecter. And a cassette connection ??

I recently acquired a CM11 to replace the CM 5 on my Tandy SX. You seem to suggest that I could possibly use this 9-pin monitor connection with my CoCo 3. It would obviously require an adapter or a cartridge(? heaven forbid). I have 3 Rainbow zines including the biggie which explained it all as well as a multitude of 80Computing which was going to be my source when I finished that #@^!$&* 2nd FD adaption. "Soon come, mon. soon come"
I rememeber being quite impressed with it's graphics, and that Scriptsit which was perhaps the best early editor of all, including Wordstar, had been ported to it on cartridge.

If you have any comments perhaps this could be transferred by one of the monitors to another thread in the Tandy section. Altho hijacking this one doesn't seem a problem. I would however like to learn more about this iconic machine and possibly other enthusiasts would come out of the woodwork.

Lawrence

The CoCo 3's are machines in my posession I try NOT to unload.
I have probably a half dozen CC3's, all but 1 are 512kb, 2-3 multipacks, a few of the speech/sound, modem, and serial cartridges, and stacks of books, manuals, disks. Probably have at LEAST a half dozen or so FD501 and 502 drives, plus no-name 3rd party FDD setups, even to dual 720kb 5.25" (mitsu M4853), 2 complete burke and Burke XT/RTC MDM controllers with drives. Also have some newer stuff, like Cloud 9's TC^3 SCSI, SuperIDE, 2-3 CM-8 monitors, etc...

Other stuff I'll buy and sell all day - CoCo stuff I only keep :)

T

Last edited:
Back