• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my new job! woot!

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
got a job as a computer repair tech, working both in the shop on the bench and driving to customers' houses. i work at "Computer NERDZ!" - ever heard of it?

anyway, fun fun stuff. i plan to stick with this until i get my computer programming and sciences degrees. i basically get paid to do what i would be doing if i was at home sitting on my ass. :p

decent pay, great manager, fun job - never been more excited about actually going to work lol.

Good for you! Sounds like a fun job to have. You get to do what you want AND drive all over town to do it in lots of places. I wish there were jobs like that around here, but you gotta know somebody to get a decent job.

Have fun and don't turn down any old junk if they offer it!

Congratulations!

Nathan

Well, sounds like you will be switching jobs eventually anyway, which is good. You will find that everyone in management expects that you too want to go into management. All my working life I was under the delusion that "one" could remain doing the job that they enjoy! Wrong, wrong, wrong. If you are offerred a management job and don't take it, your days are numbered with that company. Think I verified that one at least 4 times. Just something to keep in mind. I wanted to remain a techie and do the jobs that I was good at, but doesn't seem to work that way.

Congrats!

So who is this Dr. Watson guy who keeps screwing up my machine, anyway? :D

CRC error

CRC error

If anyone asks you what a CRC error is, tell them it's a cyclic redundancy check. I had that alot and it took so long to find out what is was. With the internet it pops right up now, but back in the 80's I had a hard time finding it at the library...

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS :toot:

'Find a job that you love, so you never have to work a day in your life ...'

Congratulations, Mike :D

I also work as an IT engineer, at a secondary school. It's a job I love doing, which makes it even better! I am sure you will have lots of fun :)

I forgot to say, but make yourself known as a vintage computer enthuiast, you can get some really good scores. Any old systems that we break, my supervisor always leaves the ISA cards on my desk for me to take a pick from before they get chucked :D But I did find an original full-height IBM AT hard drive and quite a bit of 386/486 era stuff. It's amazing what is just pushed to the back of the cupboard.

thanks guys, yeah it's great! and yes they know i like to tinker with older machines. haven't come across anything truly vintage yet, but yesterday they tossed me an old HP pavillion with a 433 celeron that a customer was unloading on us. it had a bad HDD so i stuck in a 2 GB drive and did a hard drive install of SLAX and man it runs pretty fast! :D

i like this comp since the case is soooo small i think i'm going to pick up a cheap PCI Wifi card, put it in the kitchen and get a nice thin LCD screen to go in there so i'll still have tons of counter space.

yeah, at jobs like this you can get all kinds of useful free stuff!

Congradulations on your new *godly* job!Ever put your tongue on the computers wall plug transformer?It hurts a lot.If you ever come across a
MC68000L10 in your job I need one.

Ok Folks, clean it up. This is suppose to be a family friendly website, lets keep it that way.

(Minor editing done)

-Vlad

Racial slurs and or jokes will not be tolerated here. We haven't in the past and won't now either. Some of our users are under the age of 16.

-VK

P.S.

Lets try to keep it on topic too.

Ever put your tongue on the computers wall plug transformer?
It doesn't sound like a standard procedure for finding faults. If one suspects a bad power supply, better use some measuring equipment than putting your tongue, finger or other body part onto/into it. I have at least once got a really nasty chock from a power supply that I thought was good, but seemed to have an issue with grounding.

Back