• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thoughts of downsizing

You have to be a hoarder to some extent, as keeping old machines running usually needs a fairly decent spares backup. I pick up free/cheap MFM drives as and when I can, as these I know will probably the thing most likely to fail in the future. Plus it's always handy to have a few cards and such to hand for troubleshooting :)

Well I have been "collecting" electronic and computer gear since the early 90s. I've been threatening to sell off most of it in this forum for some time now and on a +, - balance I likely have more than what I started within my sell-off. Granted most of my recent acquisitions are enhancements of what I have or items needed to "sell" an item.

My entrancement with computers I realise was getting them functioning, which meant learning how they work, with numerous operating systems. I must admit once I have them working I tend to ignore them unless I run across some enhancement on EPay or a forum.

It has now become a major conundrum since I am 71 and from here on in it's a game-shoot on how loing I have left. My memory of computer repair skills is starting to lack as well as my enthusiasm. One of my horror stories will be that all this "good stuff" will go to people who only understand "XP" computers, or tossed into the trash of an auction sale at my demise.

My energy at placing stuff for auction on EPay is waning yet I still know the going value of my stuff. And I don't think I'm placing a too-high price.
I do have problems with some of the younger collectors who are looking for gifts, which were hard-won even when they came from thrift-shops or dumpsters.

I have bought and sold to individuals on this forum and have a 2-story house filled with computers, parts and peripherals. Almost all of it is up for sale.

There is also a bunch of old electronic equipment, tube tester, miscellaneous tubes and an electronic repairmans tube kit, plus some old tube radios.

I like to figure I have at least 10 years or more left, so it shouldn't be going soon, but just to hedge my bets it all is available.

Lawrence

I've upsized, I've downsized, I have my regrets and my happy things about what I've done over time....

- I regret selling my kick-butt XT clone that I built during my final years in Alabama, that and my 100% original Compaq Deskpro 386/16 that I had. I also regret not taking my 6 port KVM with me, it's been heck finding all the parts to build another killer rig like the one I had in Alabama (6 PC's, including an XT, all different generations of x86 processor, all working, and all networked and internet capable).

- I am however glad I got rid of the 32 old 486, pentium, 386, and other machines cluttering up the shed, as well as selling my old Pentium Pro to someone less as fortunate for $80, he's now taking a career in IT because of that computer I sold him.

- I don't horde, I keep a stockpile of spares, a reasonably small one at that. I'm VERY picky too. I memorize chipsets/models with problems, and tend to avoid those, while keeping on with my usual standards of high spec video cards (given the hardware they are to be installed into), and good quality audio cards. All my machines get run at least a couple hours every 6 months, even the most useless ones, as they have some great games on them.

- I would never give up anything Videogame or computer I have to emulate it, Emulation just does not feel that good to me anymore. Before I got back into collecting, I liked Emulation because I was like a poor starving kid in a 3rd world country as far as technology goes, I did not even have a 2600 or a source for one, so the only way was my sister's computer via Stella. Same goes for my constantly upgraded hot-rod "ATXT" machine, when it's a 64 bit hyperthreading pure Linux machine in probably 5-10 years, it'll still be the same old 30 year old GEM 386/20 on the outside chassis-wise, only with a new backplane and PSU if the job calls for it.

Looking for an affordable Altair 8800 and Sol-20

Looking for an affordable Altair 8800 and Sol-20

:cool: Hi,

My first home computer project was to build a MITS Altair 8800 kit in 1974, I later sold it to build a Sol-20 computer kit that I later sold to buy an Apple II computer.

Now I want to get those first two machines again to play with ... and since I have hundreds of original programs (Altair programs are mostly on printed paper) ... and I have the worlds first Text Line Editor and StarTrek game I want to play with again besides writing more programs for the two machines.

I am willing to trade copies of the StarTrek game (I have it saved from cassette tape onto CD now) as well as I should be scanning all my paper programs into the PC for trade too ... for help securing one or both Altair 8800 and Sol-20 computers at affordable prices.

i'm in the same boat as you. i might get rid of a pile of computers. i'll keep and the interesting and vintage stuff, but what am i going to do with 34598734 pentium 1's sitting in a closet?:eek:

It seems that my wife is sabotaging my plans to downsize. She just told me 1/2hr ago about a 286 motherboard on freecycling. I inquire, the guy turned out to be a 2 min drive away, and now I have another motherboard and a keyboard. It's a much newer mini 286 board (16MHz) but it came with an AMD 80287-10.

Joel

Back