• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VGA? card found in 5162

Jorg

Veteran Member
I'm just peering inside my very dusty newly acquired 5162 and found this graphics card:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/SockEwing/ibmvga.jpg

Part number 59X6918 on the back, when I search for it I find no more than "IBM, REF, PC-BUS VIDEO&SCSI ADAPTER"
I could see it was IBM, so that doesn't help much.. although the SCSI comment makes me wonder.

There is a barcode on the back with 55y38015544.
The main chip says:

72X8287
IBM5352
7S

At least I'd like to be sure what monitor (not..) to connect..

Seems this forum is the place to search first now, instead of google :D
Thanks!

...although the SCSI comment makes me wonder...

Just someone that doesn't know looking at the pin headers to add a video RAM expansion card (anybody ever seen one with one of these adapters?)...

Not sure if this works or if you have debug.com in DOS or something but if you dump out the 255 bytes or something at c000:0000 I think that will tell you the BIOS info and sometimes manufacturer info for the video card.

*I've never done this on a system older than a 386 or less than 6.20 in DOS so I can't say that this is the correct address on the older IBMs or if this is VGA specific.

I've never tried this program either but that pcjrcart program dumps roms also in which you may be able to get that to dump valid rom areas and search through them for video card info.

- John

I'm just peering inside my very dusty newly acquired 5162 and found this graphics card:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/SockEwing/ibmvga.jpg

Part number 59X6918 on the back, when I search for it I find no more than "IBM, REF, PC-BUS VIDEO&SCSI ADAPTER"

Score!! That is the first IBM VGA ISA adapter, should work in an XT. I don't know where the "SCSI" thing is coming from; there's nothing SCSI about it.

The fins on top are the Feature Connector, which was duplicated on clone cards as well, up until the early 1990s when people realized nobody was going to use the feature connector for anything. The Feature Connector was intended for things like video sources overlaid on top of graphics (or graphics overlaid on video), and I think IBM's presentation software came in a bundle with hardware that used it, but that's all I can remember.

Rare adapter, hold onto that thing.

I disagree about the feature connector. You can find plenty of cards that had them up until at least 2000. 1999ish ATis and Riva 128 cards definetly had them. While it is true that the card edge feature connector stopped appearing around the early 90s, the feature connector was included on many cards in the form of a "dip header" or whatever they're called.

I think what ultimately killed the feature connector was its inability to cope with resolutions greater than 640x480 with 256 colours. I believe that several companies tried to standardise a second generation feature connector to address this problem, but it never caught on and graphics card companies just continued to use the old standard or their own proprietary one.

I remember that the second generation feature connector was some fancy plastic thing with lots of pins that used special high density cables. My guess is that it was just too expensive to include on most cards. The only time I've seen it was on a high end #9 VLB or some sort.

I've been trying to setup a dual graphics cards feature connector configuration for some time now...but it's tricky since some cards only support output, and others just input. Getting the right combination can be frustrating. I finally have a comination that works:

A Tseng ET4000W32P and a Supermac Spectrum 24 TIGA

As for the feature connector being used, I know that a few companies did so. My first video capture card, a Reveal (which I believe was made by Creative, IIRC), had a cable that jacked-in to the video card. Later, I saw another similar card in a customer's Packard Bell machine, but that one was badged P/B.

--T

As for the feature connector being used, I know that a few companies did so. My first video capture card, a Reveal (which I believe was made by Creative, IIRC), had a cable that jacked-in to the video card. Later, I saw another similar card in a customer's Packard Bell machine, but that one was badged P/B.

--T

DUDE I have the exact same card you speak of, it came out of a 1992 Packard Bell "Multimedia" PC that I got many years ago that had a bad motherboard (I also have the FM Radio Card), here's a picture of that beast. Somtimes I plonk that old beast into the 80486 to play around with it. It's called the Packard Bell PBTV-500 I believe.

Here's a picture of the actual card - It's a big bugger
pbtv500.jpg

Here's a Picture of The TV Tuner Software taken from Windows For Workgroups 3.11 - Nevermind the "Randy" desktop picture I found on cd.textfiles.com while looking at old raytraces and 16 color renditions of Bart Simpson.
8d4d.jpg

Excuse me, but, can you get that Packard Bell crap out of the way? I want to see "Bart Simpson" after the "operation" LOL

Hopefully I'm not veering too far off subject, but I've been digging around cd.textfiles.com for awhile. Lots of cool backdrops, useful programs, and so fourth. If it were'nt for Web 2.0, I could probably get by VERY easily on a 286 just because of that site and it's BBS Archive.

Anyway, here's the gal on my desktop. So yeahl, Bart Simpson it ain't, but she's pretty, though she looks like she needs some painting help.
PAINTGAL.jpg

Here's the Bart one, I was putting this one on the 286 - Tho it might be going on the 8088 in Windows 3.0 eventually
BART1.gif

And a Yoda backdrop I made off a 256 color GIF for my IBM Thinkpad. So you want to be a Windows Master...yes, umhmm.
YODA.jpg

Anyway, if the chick is "too much" I'll take the picture down, all you got to do is ask.

Back