• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My computer...it LIVES!!!

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
So, 3 weeks back, I bought another Compaq Evo D51s(D510s) off the seller EPCsales(epcusa.com and http://ebay.epcusa.com/) as I had bought two P4s off them before, one of which was a different EVO that died, due to cat+water+computer=fried crap. Anyways, my new EVO died ONE DAY AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRED!!! The thing had a two week warranty. The motherboard had mysteriously died. (anyone know of a chip that makes computer die after X amount of days?) Anyway, I told them the problem, and they sold me a motherboard out of a system with a bad power supply for $12 plus $8 shipping, totalling to an affordable $20. It got in 3 days after being shipped(UPS has never taken over that, unless Sunday or a holiday is in the shaken, not stirred mix). I cracked the case open, and discovered I could remove EVERY component and only remove one screw, which held the mobo in place. Very cool indeed. I swapped components on the mobo, and now it is like I am running the same system. I didn't even have to change drivers, and Windows didn't have to re-validate, seems it is the same type of mobo. On the subject of UPS, I have never had a problem with them. I always hear horror stories about them damaging goods. As a matter of fact, the only shipment I have ever gotten that was damaged was shipped via USPS.

--Ryan

I'm glad there was a happy ending, and everything works as it ought to. My problem with UPS is that they like to leave stuff on my porch, unguarded and in the wide open, and I live in the worst part of town. I've had stuff get stolen, and now I have to tell whoever ships to me to get a signature.

Win didn't ask for anything, not even drivers?? That is almost amazing. Hooray for mass production!

Nathan

that's pretty good of them to help you out for only $20. and yeah i never have had a problem with UPS, i always use them. a buddy of mine who lives in chicago works for them and says to never use them for shipping, but i never have had any issues. they're fast and reliable.

UPS is delivering my fanless mini-itx board, should be here today or monday.

I suppose that the only thing you could count as a problem that I have had with UPS would be the time I sent a computer back to a client about 1000 miles away.

I sent it air, and it was clearly marked, and, like an idiot listened to the agent when they said "Oh, if it's going air, just insure it for the amount that comes with the service, it's handled very well".

That may be true, however, I'll never know, because, although it was marked air, it went by ground.

There wasn't a single piece of plastic left intact on the whole (current) computer.

I know how to pack stuff. I know how to pack stuff to survive a battlefield tactical nuke. The cards were out of the slots and the backplane covers on the cards were bent about 45 degrees from their normal position.

That takes talent.

The receiver took them to small claims court and I sent her a notarized statement to submit to the court, etc. etc.

Well, in Canada, there is a thing called "The Transportation Act" which any company like UPS can hide behind which, basically, when you strip away all the bullshit, says "No matter what happens, even if it's our fault, it's not our fault". She got 100 bucks.

Then they had the nerve to send me a dunning letter for payment of the shipping charges. When I mentioned that I would send the payment to my lawyer for inclusion with my suit for breach of contract, they went away.

So, yeah, I've had minor problems with UPS.

Maybe it went by air, and at 10,000FT they dropped the thing out of the airplane where it was supposed to be parachuted to the UPS store in the area, and then be driven to the location. But the parachute didn't deploy, and instead of landing at the UPS store, it got hit by a truck.

It's a plausible theory!

--Ryan

Forget UPS, and USPS, I'm still pissed off 3 years later to what they did to one of my pride and joy computers....an XT clone, that I sold on E-bay. I packed that sucker in not two, not three, but four layers of uber-thick industrial strength bubble wrap.....and the only thing that survived the travel was the IBM keyboard. Even the 5153 was destroyed. Every drive was out of it's slot, all the drive faces were ripped off, the corner of the flip-top case was bent inward, and apparently some rust had developed. This is one reason I don't sell rebuilt machines on E-bay anymore.

There is no reason to get upset about this; UPS people knew they
are living in the real world and in the real world...sh$t happens! So,
to emphasize that, they chose a name that sounds like... oops! .

:biggrin:

Back