• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone going to VCF next weekend?

barythrin

Veteran Member
I've been busy but am still planning on booking a flight and kicking around town for a few days. Anyone else going? Just seeing who I might meet.

- John

I was hoping there would be an update on the VCF site if there were any plans to not do the conference but haven't seen anything. I'll email Sellam and double check (he's usually pretty good at checking his mail). Fortunately with my keen powers of procrastination I haven't actually booked my flight or hotel or anything yet but need to very soon.

VCF X is fully on!

VCF X is fully on!

Like I said, he's really good at responding to mail lol.. he already replied:

<snip my quick concern whether they're in a fire area or not></snip>
<Sellam>
Nope. Different half of the state. So far we are not affected by fires, but anything can change between now and then. Still, I don't think even fires could stop the Festival this year.
</Sellam>

> Is everything still on for next weekend or should I not book the
> flight/hotel/car (coming in from Texas)?
<Sellam>
Book it all!
</Sellam>

So my question still stands :eek:) I'm going there for the first time so if anyone else wants to make their presents known we can meet or have a drink or something.

- John

I wish I could go. Only 15 though, and a few states over. They should have VCF a tad more central soon, perhaps in DFW, or OKC? Anyways, I just checked an active map of the fires. The fires are down by Tijuana, in the LA area by the sea. Hehe, maybe the Gov't will be so busy with the fire we'll see a flood of mexicans crossing the boarder. Grab a shotgun and meet me at the border!

--Ryan

Sorry, my bad. I have trouble conceptualizing distances when looking at a map. From the pix I've been seeing today, it kinda looks like everything is right next door to everything else. I keep forgetting how big Californie really is.

--T

I wish I could go. Only 15 though, and a few states over. They should have VCF a tad more central soon, perhaps in DFW, or OKC? Anyways, I just checked an active map of the fires. The fires are down by Tijuana, in the LA area by the sea. Hehe, maybe the Gov't will be so busy with the fire we'll see a flood of mexicans crossing the boarder. Grab a shotgun and meet me at the border!

--Ryan

Any undocumented immigrants crossing the border today are going in the right direction if they're smart.

Sellam said:
Still, I don't think even fires could stop the Festival this year.
Wow, that's the spirit! Mothers and children running for their rescue, and in the middle of the flames are a group of computer nerds admiring each other's collections. :p

Is there even going to be one? Isn't Mountain View smack-dab in the middle of all that wildfire sh!t? What about San Jose, Erik? Are you being evacuated?

Nowhere close.

The fires are in San Diego and LA, hundreds of miles south.

MV and San Jose are, for the moment, quite safe.

I'm not sure I'll display anything this year (a couple of projects I had in mind have fizzled and I've had a variety of other crisis and projects keeping me from preparing) but I should attend at least one day.

This is crazy. I'm flying into San Diego (home town) on Thursday then spending the day there before heading up to the bay area on Friday.

Erik, if you go, be sure to stop by and say hey. I have a display but I'm doing the Micro-KIM workshop from 2pm until finished on Saturday.

Vince

Erik - bring the Kenbak! I'd love to see it in person. I'll be there with a bunch of old single board computers and some NeXT systems. I'll also be at Vince's workshop. Stop by and say hi!

-steve

Nowhere close.

The fires are in San Diego and LA, hundreds of miles south.

MV and San Jose are, for the moment, quite safe.

I'm not sure I'll display anything this year (a couple of projects I had in mind have fizzled and I've had a variety of other crisis and projects keeping me from preparing) but I should attend at least one day.

Erik - bring the Kenbak! I'd love to see it in person. I'll be there with a bunch of old single board computers and some NeXT systems. I'll also be at Vince's workshop. Stop by and say hi!

I had the Kenbak at VCFs 7 and 8 (I skipped 9.)

I've had Altairs at all of the rest I went to (along with PCs, PETs, TRS-80s and the like.)

I've been told that variety is the spice of life. . .

My plans for this year included a Mark-8 (not yet finished in spite of pretty good progress - maybe next year) and a CompuColor II (down for the count at the moment - some idiot (me) ripped the H-Sig and H-Ret wires off the yoke.)

With those not an option I'm considering doing a display of my magazine collection. I can bring 40-50 Vol 1, #1 issues of a wide variety of computer magazines from the well known (Byte, Creative Computing, Kilobaud, Dr. Dobb's, Interface Age etc.) to the specialized (Computer Notes, Portable Companion, Atari Age, etc.) to the uncommon (ROM, MicroTrek, etc.)

Most, but not all, are pictured here.

I figure the magazines are as much a part of the history as the machines themselves.

The downside is, of course, that the display isn't at all interactive.

Plus it's gonna cost me a small fortune to get frames/boxes for each issue.

And I haven't done any collateral (posters, ID cards, etc.) yet.

Plus I haven't come up with a name for the display. "Premier Issue Pandemonium?" "Firsts on Paper?"

I've got until Monday to decide, I guess. ;)

Last edited:
Hi
I'll be there with my Canon Cat. This is the machine that
Jeff Raskin was responsible for.
It is a 68K processor but the entire code was in assembly
and Forth.
I've done a lot of research into the Forth inside. My main
reason was to add a printer driver for my HP 4si ( originally
a 3si but that had a power supply go bad and take out several
of the boards ).
I should be there at the exhibit most of the time that
the exhibits are open and would be glad to talk to anyone about