• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pc Ram

Well, my Model 25 has 768KB of RAM, but from my understanding, that extra 128KB is just, not addressable.

Here's MSD. Obviously my Model 25 is on some kinda drug, to think it has 64MB of extended RAM.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I have the earliest of Model 25 BIOSes.. The chip is ceramic complete with the EPROM window, I have a later Model 25 with a plastic EEPROM (or just ROM?)..

The later 25 is dead, but it's motherboard works, so I will try it's BIOS and see what happens to that funky extended. The motherboard is different though too, minor revision change. Any objection to just swapping the BIOS like that?

Ghawd, now I'm confused too. My head hurts...going to take my pills now...

--T
And I'm the one trying to learn memory mapping, and I have an old PC that's seeing things. LOL

I'll wait for Mike, maybe he knows this oddity.

I'm hoping BIOS bug, and I can put the newer BIOS into my older motherboard.

Oh yea, somethings wrong with this poor model 25. It's wishing it had more.

bigdrive.jpg

If I had a hard drive that big, well, it sure wouldn't be running DOS and Windows 3.0...

This is SO weird, I think I'm going to have to video tape this tomorrow, just to prove I'm not hoaxing or something. Because something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this model 25...

BIOS glitch? Or just shoddy programming?

Wow. I am surprised a PC so old can even IMAGINE it has a 20 or 90GB hard drive. The IBM I used to have, a 1996 or so Pentium 1, can't even recognize a 3GB hard drive! It only goes up to 2.5! As I recall, on older computers, to set up HDs, you could specify type 1, 2, 3, etc, or you can specify a custom type. I could guess that may be a problem with the HD, but the RAM...Hmm...
I am agreeing with the others, I think your BIOS may have a problem(you guys said that, right?). Quite the puzzler.

--Ryan

Might be something wrong with your MSD disk/program. Do you have the origional DOS and/or Starter Diskette for it?

--T
Those disks have long since stopped working.

Btw, I tried taking out the NEC V30, and putting the intel 8086 back in, and the extended memory disapears. . It only shows up when the V30 is in the IBM.

I just want to know though, if it's safe to take the BIOS chips out of the new 25, and putting it in this older 25, as the motherboard is slightly different.

EDIT: Tried it. It booted, but though the 25 and motherboard was of newer design, the BIOS date was exactly the same.

Last edited:
Wow. I am surprised a PC so old can even IMAGINE it has a 20 or 90GB hard drive. The IBM I used to have, a 1996 or so Pentium 1, can't even recognize a 3GB hard drive! It only goes up to 2.5! As I recall, on older computers, to set up HDs, you could specify type 1, 2, 3, etc, or you can specify a custom type. I could guess that may be a problem with the HD, but the RAM...Hmm...
I am agreeing with the others, I think your BIOS may have a problem(you guys said that, right?). Quite the puzzler.

--Ryan
It's actually seeing TB I think, lol..

I'm gonna make a dump of the BIOS and see whats up.

OK, it is time to know. Just how big IS the HD in your IBM? It isn't THAT big, right? Oh, and try putting the biggets HD in the thing you got, see if it actually regognizes it. Maybe if you put drives and RAM in it the exact size it thinks it has...

--Ryan

OK, it is time to know. Just how big IS the HD in your IBM? It isn't THAT big, right? Oh, and try putting the biggets HD in the thing you got, see if it actually regognizes it. Maybe if you put drives and RAM in it the exact size it thinks it has...

--Ryan
the hard drive is 20MB. The zip drive is 100MB.

I actually looked at the screenshot, and it says "GB", but if you took out the "G" and replaced it with "K", those numbers do actually line up fairly well.

it has a proprietary HD controller, I don't have any other type of HD to put in it.

And I can't possibly put in 64MB of RAM. It's not even possible for the CPU to address it, let alone find that many SIMM's or DIP's.

Whats amazing me is that this is an IBM PS/2 we're talking about here, they are not exactly well known for their ability to use "standard" components, actually, in most cases it's anything but, even the ISA ones have issues with some cards (my PS/2 Model 30 286 used to throw up errors on boot the whole time I had a Diamond Telecommander 2300 sound card/modem combo in it, however, the card and the computer got along fine past that point).

Gee, sounds like your PS/2 is my kind of computer, usually my oldies get a little grouchy about "new age components", particularly large hard drives. I think the SysChk thing is possibly because of the age of the program, I notice my benhcmark utility from 1987 that I run on the 286 won't even work on the PIII.

Back