• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

computermkt is at it again on ebay

curtis

Veteran Member
He's going nuts again! Absolutely insane prices. At least not he's using the "Buy it Now or Best Offer" option.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw he was offering a TI CC-40 for $299!

If I could get that for my extras, they'd be on ebay in a heartbeat!

Yeah, I've got that fellow saved in my favorite sellers. Most of the prices are INSANELY high, but some are almost close to being priced decently. As I note to myself, where he is a favorite seller, I put "If I win the lottery, this is where I will spend it." LOL.

--Ryan

I used to "Best Offer" those ridiculous ones with an offer of $10. High enough to show that I'm not just 99 cent-lowballing, but low enough to make it obvious that their price is outrageous.

That particular one has been listed and relisted for at least 1 year, likely longer. He does get some bites every once in awhile.

I offered him $150 for it which I thought was a credible and reasonable price given it is basically an untested system fragment. He rejected it out of hand.
It is not a complete system and it is missing the most important, as I have discovered, piece of any VG system -- the FDC and drives.

Maybe the bigger fish will come along but I think it will be a while.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

I offered him $150 for it which I thought was a credible and reasonable price given it is basically an untested system fragment. He rejected it out of hand.
It is not a complete system and it is missing the most important, as I have discovered, piece of any VG system -- the FDC and drives.

Maybe the bigger fish will come along but I think it will be a while.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

He rejects even reasonable prices. Back when I was looking for a Panasonic JR-200U, he had one listed (may still) bare bones for $299. I offered $99 plus shipping and handling, which it turns out is around what I paid for two with tons of boxed software and cables on eBay right after his rejection.

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but I wonder where he gets his stock from?

He rejects even reasonable prices. Back when I was looking for a Panasonic JR-200U, he had one listed (may still) bare bones for $299. I offered $99 plus shipping and handling, which it turns out is around what I paid for two with tons of boxed software and cables on eBay right after his rejection.

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but I wonder where he gets his stock from?

I wondered the same thing earlier, and decided to sift through his buyer feedback. He buys it cheap from sellers, and sells it for hundereds more than he got it for. He bought an Apple II+ for $30 and is trying to get $299 off of it. I hate people like him(her?), only out to make money.

--Ryan

This is the main guy I'm talking about when I'm talking about ridiculous prices on E-bay. $244 for an 80486 (which I can get for $5.00 at a thrift store near home for only a few bucks on gas to get it home).

Recycled goods and Newsgroups are the two that pissed me off a few months back in my hunt for a video card. One of those guys had a friggin ATI Rage II ISA for $315.99 or something like that, while I was bidding on the other one for about $5-10.

I usually don't do E-bay, for some reason it seems the Pac NW has plenty of vintage machines for sale, it's just they only show up one at a time here and there instead of showing up in shelves full like they did down south (I literally cleaned the Opelika/Auburn area out of it's whole stock of vintage PC stuff). I've also grown highly selective so it's less of an issue compared to how it was when I lived down south. I mostly go for stuff that needs fixed or takes up little space. It's sort of like building models or hot-rodding cars for me at this point.

Hi
He needs to make a profit to keep doing what he does. Any
bussiness person will tell you that one can't make a profit
unless the inventory is moving. He may be moving a few
special items but I get the feeling he has no idea what is
a valuable item from a not so valuable.
It seems that many seller confuse rare with valuable.
Still many of the items have little value. These items often
are rare on ebay only because experienced seller won't waste
time on such items. Others see this as meaning they have
something of great value.

Recycled goods and Newsgroups are the two that pissed me off a few months back in my hunt for a video card. One of those guys had a friggin ATI Rage II ISA for $315.99 or something like that, while I was bidding on the other one for about $5-10.

Yeah, I get a good laugh looking through those two sellers stuff.
The pictures of the items are so poor, you would think they could
afford a better camera even with the small number of items they sell.
Sell a 486 MB for $200, buy a nice 8 MP digital camera :)

Yeah, but that computermkt is the funniest of all.

Really....all he does, is clutter up my search results with his rare PLM manual for $199, his Altos 586 floppy controller for $199 - seriously. You can;t sell *THE WHOLE* 586 for $50 - who's gonna give ya $200 for the dang FDC?

It's REALLY getting on my nerves - the clutter from those 3 in my search results is p1$$ing me off!

EDIT: Ooh! New stupidity-alert - check THIS out: $490 for a 20Mb Seagate Drive!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-ST225-2...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now *THAT* is funny!!!

Oh - and it comes with a 3-day warranty!!!

T

Last edited:
I, too, tried and utterly failed to deal with computermkt once. When I pointed out the insanity of the asking price, the reply I got said, "Look at recent sales" ... which makes me thing he/she just has another ebay ID to make a "sale" at a stupid price, in order to claim the for-sale prices are market value.

It would be VERY interesting to try SELLING things to this user. Say we know something is worth $45 and that computermkt typically sells it for $300. So try selling it to him/her for, say, $175. :idea:

Heeeeeee-larious!! Couldn't believe those asking prices either. It's funny when you check out the completed listings for computermkt and there's a ton of stuff that's listed but no bidders/buyers? Hmmmmm......wonder why? ;)

I can understand wanting to make a profit .... but ... c'mon !!!!! :p

Calm down, its a free market. Selling one item for $100 gives the same income as selling 10 items for $10, but the time and effort needed is a tenth as much.

If these sellers had a handful of items for sale they would only make a sale rarely, but as they have a huge inventory and low storage costs they only need to sell a small percentage of items to break even.

Its a market place - if there were fewer buyers at these prices then the offered prices would come down (just think of the listing fees).

Yes some buyers are ripped off, but no-one is forcing them to bid. The feedback shows they are happy 99 times out of 100, so let it rest.

Regards,
John

Back