• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old New Guy

hrobinson57

I have been using computers for the past 27 years, and have always had one or two in the house since approximately 1984. Before that I could not afford one. I seem to remember it was almost 3k for my first Tandy. I never tinkered until recently ('99 or so) with hardware, and only really started about 6 years ago to build & customize systems. So I have limited real "vintage" experience. All I remember was a course in BASIC where I learned how to do a payroll program, and refusing to upgrade from Win 3.1 until '98 had been out a while. That's about it. A couple of years ago I did fool around with an HP Vectra somebody gave me. Got it running on Linux, and after maxing out the RAM (128mb I think), hooked up to cable Internet with an adapter. Spent a lot of money, but had a good time doing it. Looking at me you would think I was standing next to Edison when he got the light bulb to work, but I am not as Knowledgeable on older equipment as I probably should be.

I was recently given a Panasonic Senior Partner "portable" computer circa 1983 from a friend who's laptop I fixed so I'm ready to do some restore work. I will have a lot of questions when I get going I am sure. So far I have just powered it up, but I need an OS on floppy as there is no hard drive. I did find an instruction book online, but not much else. I want to try and keep this as original as possible to display in my work room. I have attached a picture of my interior decoration. Hope it comes through. If there is anything I can answer I'll be glad to do so.

Hal

Attachments

• wallshot_1.JPG
    wallshot_1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
  • wallshot_2.JPG
    wallshot_2.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
  • wallshot_3.JPG
    wallshot_3.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1
Lol! I once thought how neat it would be to encase old circuit boards in clear plastic, and hang them on the wall. They have a certain asthetic quality.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! Did you ever think about hooking your walls up to a power supply, and seeing if it turns on? Plenty of expansion room!

--Ryan

Thanks for the replies. My next step in the walls is to insert LED's, but that will be down the road. My plan for the Panasonic is to build it into the wall. Got to steal a little room from the wife's closet on the other side to build a shelf. She has been pretty tolerant so far. I may end up out back in the shed.

Hal

Don't push your luck! Women's closets are sacred places...

Love that wallpaper though; I think you may have inspired me...

mike

When I saw the wall of circuit boards I felt like a vegetarian in a butcher shop .. :)

I keep getting visions of those "alum. foil brain protectors" looking at those wall pics. Appears you will not need a protector inside that room.

old newbie w/stuff

old newbie w/stuff

old newbie w/stuff
--------------------------------
I have a bunch of Commodore stuff (VIC-20, C128, disk magazines, manuals, Programmers Guide, encyclopedias, pirated disks, tapes/cassette, expander, interface, ad nauseam). Been playing with this stuff alone for twenty years. Didn't*t know there were others out there still.

I would like to share, anything I have of use, and need *LOADSTAR*#64 CAD-M program--my floppy is corrupted.

Don*t know good or bad places for a web newbie to begin. Input would be appreciated.

John M

P.S.
Not sure I understand all I know about this board. If I've stepped on anyone's toes, I apolgise.
--------------------------------
IP Address: 209.240.206.198

Actually, I've seriously considered painting one wall of my computer room to resemble a circuit board. Never thought of covering it with actual boards. I might just try that instead.

--T

I've had a good time building it finding where parts look best, and adding features. I just finished making a CD drive opening just a bit on the front of the HP case. I cut a CD to fit in so it looks pretty realistic. I like the different colored boards also, but I don't get many of them. have to spread them out. If you do a wall, paint the whole thing black first it will look better with no white or whatever sticking through. It has another function as well. When I am fixing someones computer I can show them where the parts are, how they fit in what a hard drive or CD burner looks like inside, etc. Good luck if you do one, post a picture too.

Hal

Awesome Wall!!!!

2 questions though,,,,,
#1 What do you do about dusting???

#2 If you vacume it,,, do you worry about static discharge :shocking: ??

:p :D

Back