• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage IBM Forum

frozenfire75i

Banned
Just thought I would let everyone know about a forum I started up about Vintage IBM computers such as the 5150 PC 5160 XT and 5155 portable! So come on over and join up and let’s get some members and activity in there!

Just a note this forum is "Mainly" for the IBM PC line of computers from 1981 until 1987 when that stop making the PC line! Such As IBM 5150's 5160's 5155's and 5170's!

http://www.vintageibm.net/forum Part Of VintageIBM.net

Last edited:
It looks really cool, but it is extremely limited. I have an IBM 55sx and a pair of IBM AT’s, but I don’t think they fit any of the sections you have available.

I do have a part on the 5170 AT's!
Yes it very limited (if you think about all IBM stuff) But as I am only focusing on the IBM PC family of computers! From 1981 until 1987 when they cut the PC line! Such As IBM 5150's 5160's 5155's and 5170's!

Last edited:
I just registered. Might I suggest you model organization a little more off this forum, exept with IBM stuff instead of by Altair, Minis, etc. Also, even though the forum of yours is for the 5150 and up, you have spots for the other. The pizza maker who sold only what he liked wasn't very successful at all!

--Ryan

Wooo! My dream of being a moderator was fulfilled, but on a different forum!

I'm confused.

The forums we have here have been such a good resource for years. And for some of the machines, there are even older and more specialized forums. (micro-zone.com for the PCjr comes to mind.)

What is the benefit of yet another set of forums?

Yes, I'm of the same mind as mdbrutman. Won't another set of forums just dilute the effectiveness of the vintage computing community?

Hi
Actually, this forum is often not a in depth as other news groups
that I read. I rarely see much talk here on PDP8s or PDP11s.
Altairs and IMSAIs get little time either.
It seems most talk about PCs, TRS80s and C64s. I occassionally
try to seed other talks but I mention Poly88s or Canon Cats and
I just hear silence. Either most in this group have no idea what
I'm talking about or there is just no interest.
I do agree the a splinter forum makes little sense when one could
just use the current forums. I think there is something here for
PCs.
Dwight

Actually one thing I like about this forum (or this collection of forums) is that it's NOT just for one machine. It is for vintage computing, not just a vintage computer. Personally, I'm interested in vintage computing generally, and when someone like yourself mentions the likes of a Poly 88, I think "what's that?". Sometimes I go and look it up and then I've increased my knowledge a little.

I agree that if you are after detailed technical help, newsgroups can be more helpful (I subscribe to several TRS-80 ones) as they are populated only by those with an interest in a particualr model or line. The forums here, broad though they are, can cater for all types if used. The more they are used, the better they will be.

Cute idea, but there is also this Forum and Uncreative Labs for the PC/XT...

Why not direct people towards this website?

Uncreative labs has been around forever. Definitely worthy, but much lower traffic.

Micro-zone.com is specific for PCjrs .. also around forever, and very low traffic. Many of the regulars there are here as well.

Classiccmp covers the old DEC big iron fairly well.

Here we cover a fairly wide variety of machines. And the PCs are almost too well represented. I personally don't have the bandwidth to keep monitoring multiple forums .. there is a lot of duplication. Unless there is a serious policy issue here that is driving people away, I can't see the draw for yet another vintage PC forum ...

Hi
Actually, this forum is often not a in depth as other news groups
that I read. I rarely see much talk here on PDP8s or PDP11s.
Altairs and IMSAIs get little time either.
It seems most talk about PCs, TRS80s and C64s. I occassionally
try to seed other talks but I mention Poly88s or Canon Cats and
I just hear silence. Either most in this group have no idea what
I'm talking about or there is just no interest.
I do agree the a splinter forum makes little sense when one could
just use the current forums. I think there is something here for
PCs.
Dwight

It is an issue of critical mass ...

I know of the other machines, and have even used them new. But they are just not in wide enough circulation. The more common machines seem to drown them out.

(My own effort at diversification is starting .. I've agreed to adopt a TRS-80 Mod 4 from Erik. I'm going to need help getting it running properly.)

Yeah, I hear you on diversification. I've recently(within 2 weeks) adopted a TRS-80 model III, which is much like the model 4. I don't know any difference except color. How much RAM will yours have? I've also begun experimenting with CP/M, and like it so much, when I move I will be getting some. I would be after more than just the Kaypro II I have, but I have to downsize stuff I have as-is. Of course, I am dumping off my TV, laser printer, and my Tandy 1000SX before I get rid of any of my computers(My Tandy 1000 doesn't count). Hell, I'll dump my clothes before my good computers! I've really been wanting to have a mini, but certainly don't have the space. Maybe when I get to WV, I can run it in my basement...

--Ryan
P.S. PM me if anyone knows how I can run a newer(1994) PC with NT as a host for terminals. I have been wanting to have a server hooked up at one location, and like dialing into a BBS, dial into it and have access to my files. Anyone know anything about this? Also, I want to post a help post, and I can't figure out whether to post in off-topic or not.

<snip>
--Ryan
P.S. PM me if anyone knows how I can run a newer(1994) PC with NT as a host for terminals. I have been wanting to have a server hooked up at one location, and like dialing into a BBS, dial into it and have access to my files. Anyone know anything about this? Also, I want to post a help post, and I can't figure out whether to post in off-topic or not.
----
Although I think I have several NIB boxes of NT Server somewhere, there are also other ways of doing that.

I remotely support several clients using DOS and Windows, and log in several times a day to watch what they're doing, download & upload files, back up their systems to an off-site system here, etc. We happen to be using PCAnywhere, but there are quite a few packages that do the same thing and, although I haven't had occasion to try it, I believe XP also has that option.

For a non-dedicated phone line there are touchtone-operated switches to transfer the call to the computer and of course also ways and devices to turn it on and off remotely.

Just FYI,

m

Back