• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace

Erik man, with Ebay's new feedback policy, I hope you can generate good hits. I'm going to see what I can list on your site. I can't believe that ebay won't let you leave negative feedback on buyers. What is wrong with them, that is so lopsided I can not believe it.

Anyways, I'm registered and I'll toss some goodies up after this weekend.

Vince

Erik man, with Ebay's new feedback policy, I hope you can generate good hits. I'm going to see what I can list on your site. I can't believe that ebay won't let you leave negative feedback on buyers. What is wrong with them, that is so lopsided I can not believe it.

Anyways, I'm registered and I'll toss some goodies up after this weekend.

Vince

That is REDICULESS! what made them change there minds?!

Simple, the new CEO is a fool.

Besides playing around with the idea of making all the auctions BIN (which would hardly make it an auction), they are trying to force a test market in Australia to use PayPal exclusively for payments.

I may just put my auction site up again since this guy is doing everything he can to bring FleaBay to its knees.

Almost every day I'm pondering if I have something for sale to put on the auction site. So far the traffic isn't too high, so I'd hesitate to list something really valuable unless heavily marketed in other places. However perhaps it is exactly what needs to be done, to list a few real gems and spam around other forums, mailing lists and alike both about the marketplace in general and these items in particular. On one hand spamming about other (commercial) sites tends to be frown upon, but as the situation is with eBay moving on to new business methods, most people in the vintage computer communities (not only this forum) may be pleased with an alternative even if ours' isn't the only one trying to gain momentum.

Almost every day I'm pondering if I have something for sale to put on the auction site. So far the traffic isn't too high, so I'd hesitate to list something really valuable unless heavily marketed in other places. However perhaps it is exactly what needs to be done, to list a few real gems and spam around other forums, mailing lists and alike both about the marketplace in general and these items in particular. On one hand spamming about other (commercial) sites tends to be frown upon, but as the situation is with eBay moving on to new business methods, most people in the vintage computer communities (not only this forum) may be pleased with an alternative even if ours' isn't the only one trying to gain momentum.

That's almost exactly what I'm hoping for.
1. Some gems to get listed
2. Word of mouth
3. More traffic from the above.

The amount of traffic, by the way, isn't that bad. There are over 20K page views, 10K user sessions and 8K unique users since we started about a month ago.

Only 60 or so have registered, though. . . so far.

The latter almost certainly because they haven't seen anything that piqued their interest yet. . .

If one does put something up for sale/auction there, is it bad form to also post a notice here in the for sale section?

m

If one does put something up for sale/auction there, is it bad form to also post a notice here in the for sale section?

I don't think so although it might be more appropriate in the Auctions area pointing to the specific item(s.)

Meanwhile, on that note, I have some newer computer magazines listed (late 1990s) that will hit the recycle bin if the auction closes without a bid. It's a $1 Buy it Now and I'll be happy to waive that for anyone interested. . . just pay shipping.

I need the space and these do not fit in my collection.

Last edited:
I do appreciate the potentialities of the site. I will be using it for the multitude of cards and parts I have and for some of my documentation. One of the problems for me is the more limited exposure it affords.

For example an Arc-net Hub I have, or my copies of Scientific American which included the 3 most historically influential articles on computers. Or the copy of Datamation from Nov. 81 which catalogued and featured the innovative companies grouped on Mass. Rte 128 which included DEC, Wang, Centronics, Data Terminals, Data General, Honeywell and a multitude of others. It was the Silcon Valley of early IT development and the locus of the seminal book on computer development, "The Soul of a New Machine". They demand a broader audience, hopefully of those who became wealthy during the dot-com explosion.

But for the real computer afficianados this could be an excellent vehicle for those needing simple parts or accesories to get their computer working or like me who hung onto a multitude of parts and accessories they deemed worth keeping and while sypathetic for the many newcomers to computer collecting are not about to distribute these items for free, hard-won over many years and in many cases including costs of storage. It will provide a market for many things not usually offered on EPay and which commercial companies offer at stratospheric prices.

Lawrence

Hmm, I'll have to re-think the price of that PIII keyboard...
;-)

m

Oh I've given away my share of missing parts to other collectors over the years. I'm referring more to newbies who expect anything that's not new to be free. Heck I can't even get an address out of you to send the $ for it. Beaver squat time approaching. :^))

Lawrence

Vacuum tubes? Ya wants some thermionic valves? Anything in particular?

I should be out your way again soon with some motherboards; found another NEC drive BTW.
Got that disk drive ready for me?

And Lawrence:

Didn't make it to the PO yesterday; will try today.

m

Aw, no NOS (or at least very little), but I think I have a 6L6 somewhere (without any suffix that's the metal version, isn't it?)

m

Vacuum tubes? Ya wants some thermionic valves? Anything in particular?

I should be out your way again soon with some motherboards; found another NEC drive BTW.
Got that disk drive ready for me?

Nah, I'm good on tubes. I just needed some good and bad ones to test out a tube tester (which I really have to do someday soon) before selling it off.

Yes, Mike, it's in a box with packing and everything. Apparently, the diagnostic LEDs don't function if it's not hooked up to a PET, so, nothing I can do about fixing it, but I might have some chips if you need them.

BTW, CPUs and RAM would be good in the MoBo(s) too :)

<snip>
BTW, CPUs and RAM would be good in the MoBo(s) too :)
--
Sheesh; next you'll be wanting the fans & batteries too...

Actually, since you've got that useful neighbour, I'm gonna bring ya the whole box less the drives w/128MB; OK?

How many?

Guess we should really stop wasting folks' bandwidth & take this off-list.

m

The whole thread is like this. Why end it now?

No hard drives? You drive a hard bargain, capitalist swine :)

Oh, I don't want to be greedy, so, whatever you want to get rid of and can fit into that motorized skateboard of yours LMAO.

BTW, got the info.

Back