• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned this in another thread but I'd like to formally announce the new Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace.

This new addition to the Vintage-Computer.com site will hopefully grow to become the preferred venue for buying and selling vintage computing and gaming gear.

The software used for the marketplace was chosen for its simplicity and features which make it a viable alternative to the other, more generalized, auction and sales venues on the web.

Items can be posted in auction format (buy-it-now can be used for flat-rate sales) with descriptions and a photo gallery for each. Bids on items within the last two minutes of an auction will extend that auction by 30 minutes, making sniping a thing of the past.

I've taken the liberty of posting some of my wares for sale on the site. I'll continue to post items I have for sale and I hope the rest of you will consider doing the same.

NOTE: There is absolutely no charge for posting listings to the marketplace or for buying items listed there. The venue is completely free!

I believe that the popularity of these forums and the vintage-computer.com site will help drive buyers and sellers to the new marketplace to the benefit of us all.

Please visit the new site, sign up and, by all means, tell your friends! :D

Good work! Perhaps the announcement should be made sticky somewhere in Vintage Computer Auctions.

I saw your items, and I understand that you'd avoid international shipping on medium sized items. Hopefully this won't become a trend though as it is up to the buyer to determine (on beforehand) if shipping is too steep. At least on this forum we all know eachother, so it is easy to contact the seller asking for a shipping quote even if none is offered.

Good work! Perhaps the announcement should be made sticky somewhere in Vintage Computer Auctions.

Thanks and good idea!

I saw your items, and I understand that you'd avoid international shipping on medium sized items. Hopefully this won't become a trend though as it is up to the buyer to determine (on beforehand) if shipping is too steep. At least on this forum we all know eachother, so it is easy to contact the seller asking for a shipping quote even if none is offered.

Yeah, I hope folks will work on it. I'm actually willing to ship anything internationally, whether or not I checked the box when posting the auction. :)

Customs forms can be a pain, but if the buyer is willing to pay then I'm game.

If this had appeared three weeks ago, I would be one of the first customers Erik. I've recently got some Apple II manuals shipped in from the UK which included those mentioned on the auction site.

Tez

Bravo! Nice addition...

Now...why don't you sell yearly access to an email account @vintage-computer.com ? That would be cool, and I'd be game for that....

T

Bravo! Nice addition...

Thanks! Now spread the word!

Now...why don't you sell yearly access to an email account @vintage-computer.com ? That would be cool, and I'd be game for that....

Could do although I haven't ever sold anything related to this domain and the various services here.

I'm not sure what my limit is on email accounts. . .

Just a quick note: The first VCGM has had its first sale and there are several new items posted.

Since Shark brought it up I have an exclusive offer for y'all: The first ten people to post a relevant item for sale on the Marketplace get their very own @vintage-computer.com email account.

Just post your item and then drop me a PM with the account name you want (keep in mind that some are already in use. . . ;))

Erik, I would take you up on your offer, but if I did that, I would no longer have the choice to disappear of the internet if I chose to. I've mentioned it in another thread, as a matter of fact. I've got an e-mail address on a dial up BBS(also accessable on the internet and telnet) which allows me to e-mail between the worlds on the oldest of dial-up capable machines, without any emulation necessary. It is still recommended. I've been thinking about disappearing, but there is 1 main reason I won't be for awhile: These forums and the auction sites.

Although, I may be listing soon. How would such an address be accesable? Outlook express or another POP3 capable program?

--Ryan

Just me plugging the Marketplace again, but anyone who hasn't visited should consider doing so. There are some cool items being posted (and selling) regularly. . .

Another plug. I just posted a bunch of items and others have been doing the same. There are over 70 active auctions.

Maybe you'll find something you want?

Anybody going to add something for estimated shipping charges?

Unfortunately that's not a feature of the software. The seller has to do that or provide sufficient information for the buyer to do so.

Sometimes it's somewhat obvious. For instance I listed a bunch of cards and mother boards that should ship in the USPS flat rate box ($8.95 domestic) or for less.

I'm about to upgrade the software to include PayPal integration and some other features. . . :)

Some people like using USPS boxes for things that are realy once a few dollars to ship, or do not list media mail for software that raises the total cost quite a bit.

I don't mind paying for items I want, but why should I give most of the purchase money to the shipping companies if I don't have to? Listing the shipping services the seller is willing to use would help.

Perhaps it is a temporary glitch, but currently the Marketplace subdomain points to Erik's start page, i.e. the auction site is not accessible. :-/

Perhaps it is a temporary glitch, but currently the Marketplace subdomain points to Erik's start page, i.e. the auction site is not accessible. :-/

My domains server got upgraded overnight by my host. It appears there is a glitch.

We'll get it fixed up.

Back